Staff Changes

HANC

1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

well, we shall see if any of these 2nd tier coaching additions help, but i have my doubts.

loosing faith n Verduzco and our OC.

You mean the OC that only got to call some plays in a few games at the end of the season?  How can you lose faith in a guy that hasn't had a chance to do anything?  Verduzco criticism is a bit ridiculous as well imo.  He can't teach a center how to snap, a running back how to run, and a group of receivers to learn the playbook.  His performance may be able to be fairly evaluated in 2021 as some of the positions around the QB start performing at a winning level.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Verduzco criticism is a bit ridiculous as well imo.  

I will preface this by acknowledging McCaffery had limited experience as a QB and it's likely his mechanics fell apart under the pressure of live action as a result.  But, Verduzco is essentially a trainer taking up a coaching staff position because Frost values his ability to teach QB's to spin the ball.  He himself frequently talks up his ability to improve his QB's "stroke".   

In this era of 7 on 7 offseason leagues & position trainers at the HS level, it is rare to see a CFQB throw the ball as poorly as Luke did last season.  I'm not even talking about decision making, I'm talking about the simple ability to throw a spiral.  And, I say this as a non-QB coach who works with QB's, the easiest pass to teach a kid to throw well is the bubble screen away from his dominant hand, & yet Martinez still has issues with that.  I trust Frost more than most, but I question his faith in Mario.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, floridacorn said:

I will preface this by acknowledging McCaffery had limited experience as a QB and it's likely his mechanics fell apart under the pressure of live action as a result.  But, Verduzco is essentially a trainer taking up a coaching staff position because Frost values his ability to teach QB's to spin the ball.  He himself frequently talks up his ability to improve his QB's "stroke".   

In this era of 7 on 7 offseason leagues & position trainers at the HS level, it is rare to see a CFQB throw the ball as poorly as Luke did last season.  I'm not even talking about decision making, I'm talking about the simple ability to throw a spiral.  And, I say this as a non-QB coach who works with QB's, the easiest pass to teach a kid to throw well is the bubble screen away from his dominant hand, & yet Martinez still has issues with that.  I trust Frost more than most, but I question his faith in Mario.

Adrian completed over 70% of his passes last year.  Sure, you can cherry pick a few plays where he looked rough but take a closer look to see where everyone was and where they were supposed to be and you will, at minimum, see potential reasons why he looked bad at times.  You can Cherry pick plays from Fields last year and make the same assessment.  Quarterbacks look like crap when others don't do their job. 

McCaffrey is another story.  I personally think the kid just panicked under the pressure when he got his shot.  He was capable of throwing a nice spiral in practice...        

2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Frost himself has said Lubick called some of the play the entire season and that they then split the play calling 50/50 the last few games of the year so incorrect.

He may have done a little early on but he didn't start calling any significant portion of the games until the last 4 where we went 2-2 and should have went 3-1.  Not sure how that is a large enough sample size to start losing faith in somebody.    

From Omaha World Herald - 

Meanwhile, Nebraska is pushing forward with subtle changes elsewhere.

Frost said he ceded more play-calling duties to first-year offensive coordinator Matt Lubick than he has with any coordinator before. It was “pretty split, 50-50” the past four games, Frost said, and was “actually refreshing.” He was freed up to tend to other sideline duties like checking special teams personnel and spending time with players rather than having to “bury my face in the call sheet.”

8 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah we can all read but the point has obviously gone past you.  It makes no difference specifically how many plays he called.  Husker fans didn't even know that Lubick was even calling any plays until the end of the season.  How do you start to lose faith in something you didn't even know about?    

confused jim carey GIF

• Plus1 1