Staff Changes

HANC

16 hours ago, admo said:

Wonder if Peter and Foreman gone be fly on the wall as well?  I'm sure they are going to be brutally honest with Frost with what they see and hear.  Report who's working their a$$ off, who's improving, who could use some help, and those that just don't get it or are tuned out.  I'd bet there will be some sort of scale behind staff closed doors that won't be taken lightly.

Or maybe I'm wrong..

I don't believe that the strength & conditioning has been the issue at least reports of slacking were not nearly as frequent as they were for the previous staff. The team has the physical tools and skill to win, it was mental lapses that were the reason for our downfall last year. I think @Toeis correct that the current S&C staff already get reports back to the staff but the true measure of growth will come with more practice this spring and will need to show next fall.

21 hours ago, admo said:

Wonder if Peter and Foreman gone be fly on the wall as well?  I'm sure they are going to be brutally honest with Frost with what they see and hear.  Report who's working their a$$ off, who's improving, who could use some help, and those that just don't get it or are tuned out.  I'd bet there will be some sort of scale behind staff closed doors that won't be taken lightly.

Or maybe I'm wrong..

so....volunteer snitches?

That will certainly fix the culture issues some people think we don’t have.

• Plus1 1

I wonder if Scott could bring someone back from the O side of the ball and be an inspiration.  Of course he comes from that side but someone to do what Peters and Foreman are doing.  I'm thinking someone like a Rathman, Gill, Green or Aaron Taylor, etc.  I'm not sure what these guys are doing in particular.  Of course Matt Davidson is around.  It would be nice to see some of the old 'pancake' king guys from the 1990s pipeline to inspire our OL.

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder if Scott could bring someone back from the O side of the ball and be an inspiration.  Of course he comes from that side but someone to do what Peters and Foreman are doing.  I'm thinking someone like a Rathman, Gill, Green or Aaron Taylor, etc.  I'm not sure what these guys are doing in particular.  Of course Matt Davidson is around.  It would be nice to see some of the old 'pancake' king guys from the 1990s pipeline to inspire our OL.

Stai was a volunteer coach at one point.  But, the bottom line is that leadership comes from within.  If Peter thinks he's going to change the culture with a bunch of in my day speeches, whatever.  If he & Foreman develop leaders within the program so that they can lead the program forward, ok.  

6 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

Stai was a volunteer coach at one point.  But, the bottom line is that leadership comes from within.  If Peter thinks he's going to change the culture with a bunch of in my day speeches, whatever.  If he & Foreman develop leaders within the program so that they can lead the program forward, ok.  

It's all in the presentation.  If I were Frost, I would make sure the players know exactly who these guys are, even show some short clips of playing time and what the accomplished and explain why they are there as mentors.  Then, Peter and Forman should almost never even bring up the past and only talk about the "now" and "future" and how these kids can get there.  If a kid wants to ask about the past, fine, keep it short and sweet then get back to the now and future.

I think the part where Peter loses some people is his wide eyed crazy talk about what he thinks it takes to be great and people think that's just him living in the past.  Funny thing is, I think he had that same wide eyed crazy talk in college.  I understand why some people think that gets old.  But, that's just the way he is.

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's all in the presentation.  If I were Frost, I would make sure the players know exactly who these guys are, even show some short clips of playing time and what the accomplished and explain why they are there as mentors.  Then, Peter and Forman should almost never even bring up the past and only talk about the "now" and "future" and how these kids can get there.  If a kid wants to ask about the past, fine, keep it short and sweet then get back to the now and future.

I think the part where Peter loses some people is his wide eyed crazy talk about what he thinks it takes to be great and people think that's just him living in the past.  Funny thing is, I think he had that same wide eyed crazy talk in college.  I understand why some people think that gets old.  But, that's just the way he is.

Many of the players already know who they are.  Not as much recently because of health restrictions, but Peter has been to practices quite a bit.

This is a good move by Frost.....some for the players....but just as much for donors and fans.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, floridacorn said:

Yes, I thought of Stai after I posted the above.  A good guy.  A good influence.

16 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree with this.  I'm sure in the recruiting process,  the players have been an education on what tradition NU has had and also why Frost wants to make Nebraska Nebraska again.    I do hope we are at the end of the culture turnover and that culture acceptance will no longer be a topic as we have buy in.  If that is the case, then I can see us starting to build and make strides in getting this turned around.  Bringing in Peters and Foreman I think are signs of us moving forward in this way.

• Fire 1

Bringing in positive examples to communicate and reinforce to the players that certain ways of behaving and working can help them achieve their goals is a good thing. Doing a bunch of "Back in my day we actually worked hard and kids these days are all weenies," is a bad thing. I don't know which it is but hopefully its the former.

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, TheSker said:

Many of the players already know who they are.  Not as much recently because of health restrictions, but Peter has been to practices quite a bit.

This is a good move by Frost.....some for the players....but just as much for donors and fans.

fans and boosters should not play a part in decisions of using guys like this. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

fans and boosters should not play a part in decisions of using guys like this. 

Any coach needs to help keep the donor base happy.

Frost would prefer people hear what Peter and Foreman have to say about progress than what the media has to say.

6 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Bringing in positive examples to communicate and reinforce to the players that certain ways of behaving and working can help them achieve their goals is a good thing. Doing a bunch of "Back in my day we actually worked hard and kids these days are all weenies," is a bad thing. I don't know which it is but hopefully its the former.

Yesterday (March 1st) during his normal segment on Severe & Benning, Jay Foreman explained what his role is and why he's doing it.  Essentially, he outline your former point as his main purpose.  He expressed that he was lucky enough to have some former husker players (from the 80's) give him some life advice while he was playing.  He said he wants to give back to the program by offering up his life experiences and make himself available to them as a resource.

Obviously, it's probably easier to just listen to what he said rather than read a brief synopsis from some random board member.  He starts talking about it at the 4:20 mark:

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1