Staff Changes

HANC

20 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

If Held is hired.. (If is the key).. I wonder "if" Ameer might consider coaching? He is after all from the southeast (Alabama) so likely has name recognition in what is seemingly becoming a hotbed of talent for us. Also, he's a husker... meaning its something he takes pride in and his love for the program would likely immerse itself within his players too. Besides, when you listen to him speak, he sounds like a coach. Highly accomplished, Highly skilled, driven, motivated and very articulate. Makes me wonder... could he? would he?

Nothing against your post, because it's done all the time, but why is it assumed because a guy like Ameer was so good at NU and was in the NFL would make a good coach.  Guys who played in the NFL, especially with a modicum of success usually don't want to toil around as an assistant coach in college football.  Also, usually what makes them so great as players is their pure talent and athleticism.  It's hard to be a good coach  to be players who aren't nearly as talented as the player once was.

• Plus1 2

The next KU head coach is going to get an incredibly long leash with no immediate expectations and be paid at least a couple million a year. And Miles had done some pretty decent recruiting so he's walking into a better setup than it looks like. Seems like a pretty good gig to me.

But this is just one radio guy saying it makes sense because of past connections. There are no legs to this; it's just rampant, unfounded speculation.

Why not.  The floor is the ceiling there with no expectations. He's a good recruiter with ties to that area.  Wins 3-4 games a year and he looks like a home run hire....Plus the money.....And if I am being honest, while a good recruiter, his RB room has yet to impress me at all......So if we underperform again this year, he and Verduzco would be my first casualties if I was Frost.  And you are a HC....Not a position coach......

I'd go with Held at KU.  Or Pelini.  I think either (or both combined) could get the Jayhawk program winning 5-7 a year after a few seasons.  Win some upsets...Get blown out at times like KU does.  But eventually becoming KSU-Light and respectable (bowl games; occasional 8 game winning season).  Could be a long career there, by just being more competitive then what they've been without Reesing/Mangino.

15 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't know why people think it would be a bad idea to take the KU job.  It's a D-1 coaching job at a Power 5 conference.  If you have a good agent, you can get them to guarantee a 4-5 year contract, at $2-3 million per year.  That's $8-15 million guaranteed.  Who cares if you are likely to be fired within 3-4 years.  Take that sweet money, and then go back to being an assistant coach somewhere.  If the coach has any type of decent season, he can get a raise and extension and basically hit the lottery.  I don't get why people say "that's a dead end job, no one would want that".

Exactly. As @Mavric pointed out, it would take a minimum of 5x as long to make the same money as an Assistant Coach. 

He would earn 20 years of salary if they give him a 4 year contract.

• Plus1 1

Saw a fun couple articles advocating for KU to go full triple option.  Can't say I hate the idea at all.  Hire a Paul Johnson disciple and get to work.  If that person can even come close to what Paul Johnson did at GT, it would be a huge success.  Selfishly, I'd love to see Jamey Chadwell go there but there is zero chance because he's one year away from getting SEC/ACC level job offers, CC is loadddded next year and KU is arguably a worse job despite being a P5 gig.

If KU offered Held the job, he's taking it no questions asked.  The money jump is incredible (even more so if you take time value of money into the equation) and once you get that bump and get fired you go to the USS Saban to get shined up and you're good as new.  If somehow you actually succeed at Kansas, your career trajectory turns into a rocket ship.