Stats that will make you scratch your head...

Huskers stats - 

REDZONE: 30 of 35 converted.

Attempts - 13th in the country with 35 attempts in 8 games 4.375 attempts

RZ rushing TD - 16th with 14 in 8 games

RZ pass TD - 42nd with 4 in 8 games

Overall (with FG) scoring PCT - 30 of 35 85% tied for 42nd

YARDS PER GAME:

Total O - tied for 69th with 391 ypg.

Total D - 52nd with 386.5 ypg.

3rd Down Conversion:

offense 38 of 104 - 96th in country with 36.5%

Defense 47 of 116 - 68th in country with 40.5%

4th Down Conversion:

offense 8 of 14 - tied for 38th with 61.5%
defense 13 of 20 - tied for 96th with 65%

Passing yards per completion:

116th with 9.75 ypa 

% Interceptions of passing attempts:

9 in 229 attempts - 123rd in country

Fewest penalty ypg:

tied for 94th with 60.62 ypg

Least Fumbles Lost:

9 in 8 games. 116th in country for least fumbles lost with only 8 games. 

Total Fumbles recovered:

2 tied for 108th.

Any other trends you’re seeing?

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You are correct! The last time we had fewer than 12 wins in a three-year period was Bill Jennings' final teams, 1959-1961, when Nebraska went a combined 11-18-1. 

So does that mean:

1. Frost turns into a new BobFather

or

2. BobFather # 2 is only a couple of years away

• Plus1 1

Fewest penalty ypg:

Really, really wish they would factor in lost yardage into this statistic. Oh man ,there goes Mills, He's to the 20, the 30, the 40, the 50. Omg. A 48 yard run... Hold up- the ref is reaching- yup. Flag. 

That play is not a 10 yard loss, and how many of those did we see this year.... seemingly every single big momentum shift play Nebraska had in the games we lost... Amazingly, this doesn't seem to happen to Nebraska opponents, but that is a different conversation..

Nebraska should be dead last in this stat at approximately 150 penalty yards per game of you factor in the "lost yardage."

• Plus1 1

@Courtesy Flush - first off, awesome screenname.

Second, thanks for posting the data.

I think that the offensive 3rd down conversion is second only to turnovers as the worst stat on the list. We all knew about the turnovers.

I believe what's making the 3rd down conversion numbers look so bad is probably the yardage needed on those 3rd downs. We needed stronger first down running all season like we saw against Rutgers. If we had had that, then we're almost definitely 5-3 instead of 3-5. We probably would have beaten Iowa & Minnesota.

Kind of disillusioned about where we're going to be at in the running back room heading into next year...I'm hoping Johnson learns to run hard and be physical - he may be the guy.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

I heard on the radio someone claim that we were second in FBS for one score losses. I don't know if that was just this year or all of the Frost years.

That sounds positive because it would seem that small corrections would make a big difference very quickly.

It was the same story in 2018. They projected us to have a big turnaround in 2019 because of that metric.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Fewest penalty ypg:

Really, really wish they would factor in lost yardage into this statistic. Oh man ,there goes Mills, He's to the 20, the 30, the 40, the 50. Omg. A 48 yard run... Hold up- the ref is reaching- yup. Flag. 

That play is not a 10 yard loss, and how many of those did we see this year.... seemingly every single big momentum shift play Nebraska had in the games we lost... Amazingly, this doesn't seem to happen to Nebraska opponents, but that is a different conversation..

Nebraska should be dead last in this stat at approximately 150 penalty yards per game of you factor in the "lost yardage."

Absolutely agree .. I watch games all day long every single Saturday ( or Thursday or Friday in some cases). I simply don't see this happen anywhere nearly as often as it does to us... You could say that's just because we're that bad or mistake prone... But then you also have to consider the fact that we are so often screwed over by officials with unbelievable targeting penalties, PI penalties, and holding on offense (no-calls on the opposition). 

I simply don't see this happen in any other games. The only other time this year I've seen as questionable of a call made as occurs in quite literally every one of our games, was the oklahoma vs iowa state game, there was an absolutely pathetic call on iowa States best defender in the first minute of that game.

Another frustrating thing that remains along this same subject line is that I recall several games this year and the last few, where the announcers for the game have been almost pissed at the bad calls against us. I don't see that happening in more than maybe one game each year that doesn't involve Nebraska.

• Plus1 2

Time of Possession

Season average - 28:42 minutes per game (93rd in the nation out of 127 eligible teams in '20) -- 28:54 in '19 (85/130) -- 28:02 in '18 (104/130)

-- Home games - 23:49 mpg (123/127)  -- 26:36 in '19 (122/130) -- 28:25 in '18 (97/130)

-- Away games - 31:37 mpg (T-32/127) -- 32:07 in '19 (18/130) -- 27:35 in '18 (109/130)

I believe there is a correlation between time of possession and success, specifically with our defense. The longer our defense is on the field, the more likely we are to give up points. Also, the longer our offense is able to hold onto the ball and sustain drives, the more effective our pace can be over four quarters.

It was not a coincidence that Rutgers was gassed this past game as we held the ball for nearly 40 minutes and ran 86 plays. If Frost & Co. can solidify the formula for the possessing the ball and churning out first downs while occasionally mixing their penchant for home run play calls, we should be much more effective long-term. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
45 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Time of Possession

Season average - 28:42 minutes per game (93rd in the nation out of 127 eligible teams in '20) -- 28:54 in '19 (85/130) -- 28:02 in '18 (104/130)

-- Home games - 23:49 mpg (123/127)  -- 26:36 in '19 (122/130) -- 28:25 in '18 (97/130)

-- Away games - 31:37 mpg (T-32/127) -- 32:07 in '19 (18/130) -- 27:35 in '18 (109/130)

I believe there is a correlation between time of possession and success, specifically with our defense. The longer our defense is on the field, the more likely we are to give up points. Also, the longer our offense is able to hold onto the ball and sustain drives, the more effective our pace can be over four quarters.

It was not a coincidence that Rutgers was gassed this past game as we held the ball for nearly 40 minutes and ran 86 plays. If Frost & Co. can solidify the formula for the possessing the ball and churning out first downs while occasionally mixing their penchant for home run play calls, we should be much more effective long-term. 

This is a great catch. Time of possession is huge. I had no idea we had that many plays against Rutgers, but it sure did feel like we had the ball a lot.

1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

I heard on the radio someone claim that we were second in FBS for one score losses. I don't know if that was just this year or all of the Frost years.

That sounds positive because it would seem that small corrections would make a big difference very quickly.

I think it means what it still means - we can't win close games because we aren't disciplined enough to win close games.  Frost talks about culture change - but this is a big culture change that hasn't happened - Disciplined football.  It takes serious minded players paying attention to detail  to make that happen. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1