Stats that will make you scratch your head...

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They definitely were better because we actually could kick field goals and some kicks were in the end zone.  I also don’t remember giving up KO or punt return tds.  I could be forgetting that though.  

Still need to improve though.  

We gave up a kick off return td against Rutgers just 6 days ago.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We did. We were better at field goals, that's about it. Iowa had a big punt return that was a factor in not being able to pull that game out as well, not a TD but wrecked our opportunity to flip field position. We struggled with field position in general all year, we gave up long returns and couldn't return kicks at all. There were many things that could have flipped our record, special teams is one of them. If we kicked touchbacks and averaged more than 18 yards per kick return, I think honestly we're 5-3 instead of 3-5.

Rutledge's teams have always been worse or barely better in his first year, then top-10 his second - hoping that holds true here. I do think Cerni will make a difference, 39 yards per punt is not great either. Especially with no hang time. So the short version is we could actually kick field goals, and that's huge. Nothing else was much better, and field position really cost us this year. Frost talks about being great on clean drives - it's a lot easier to not have a negative play if we're only going 40-50 yards instead of 90. We played a lot of games getting the ball inside our own 20 and giving the ball to the opponent near midfield.

If we have 18 yard returns, that’s going to put us at around the 20. If we don’t return them, we have it at the 25.  

who did we give up a return td to?  I just done remember.  

Hang on, let me cipher this up..

ST are bad, except FG kicking..
Penalties and turnovers..
Young offensive line shows inconsistency or inexperience..
No consistency and depth from the RB room..
Talented WRs play less because of playbook and blocking..
No vertical passing game unless it goes to the TE or Wandale..
Problems with hiking the ball to the QB..
No pass rush on defense, can't get to the QB..
Corners keep everything in front of them and often provide cushion from LOS..
QB asked to do everything (throw quick or run)..carry the offense..
Questionable play calling here and there..
Backup QB is super athletic and quick, but plays QB..

If we add it together, and carry the 1.... 

Ok, we have a lot of stuff to do lol

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If we have 18 yard returns, that’s going to put us at around the 20. If we don’t return them, we have it at the 25.  

who did we give up a return td to?  I just done remember.  

Right, and if we had a competent return game we could sometimes get it out past the 30. The bigger issue was kickoffs for me, kick return was ugly but tolerable. But watching us pop the kicks up to try and help the coverage just to see them return it out to the 35 anyway was painful. This one is a little crude as far as stats go, but NFP is just the difference in average starting field position. We were 106th. I'd be curious to see it on a game by game basis, thought I remembered something about Maryland starting on average on their 40 and us inside our 20. 

Again, hoping for the year 2 jump from Rutledge. A kicker who can get kickoffs into the end zone and a punter with any semblance of hang time would go a long way. Opponents only averaged 22 yards per kick return, but 22 yards from the 15 is bad - not sure what the deal is with kick coverage, especially with wedges outlawed it is not complicated. 

21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Right, and if we had a competent return game we could sometimes get it out past the 30. The bigger issue was kickoffs for me, kick return was ugly but tolerable. But watching us pop the kicks up to try and help the coverage just to see them return it out to the 35 anyway was painful. This one is a little crude as far as stats go, but NFP is just the difference in average starting field position. We were 106th. I'd be curious to see it on a game by game basis, thought I remembered something about Maryland starting on average on their 40 and us inside our 20. 

Again, hoping for the year 2 jump from Rutledge. A kicker who can get kickoffs into the end zone and a punter with any semblance of hang time would go a long way. Opponents only averaged 22 yards per kick return, but 22 yards from the 15 is bad - not sure what the deal is with kick coverage, especially with wedges outlawed it is not complicated. 

I’ve always said they keep KO return stats wrong.  It should be net of where it would have been if it weren’t returned.  

So, if he catches it at the goal line and returns it to the 30, that should only be a 5 yard return because it would have been at the 25 anyway.  If he only gets to the 20, that’s a -5 yard return.  

Believe me, I’m not saying our returns are good.  I’m saying I don’t have a problem with fair catches on KOs.  

1 hour ago, admo said:

Hang on, let me cipher this up..

ST are bad, except FG kicking..
Penalties and turnovers..
Young offensive line shows inconsistency or inexperience..
No consistency and depth from the RB room..
Talented WRs play less because of playbook and blocking..
No vertical passing game unless it goes to the TE or Wandale..
Problems with hiking the ball to the QB..
No pass rush on defense, can't get to the QB..
Corners keep everything in front of them and often provide cushion from LOS..
QB asked to do everything (throw quick or run)..carry the offense..
Questionable play calling here and there..
Backup QB is super athletic and quick, but plays QB..

If we add it together, and carry the 1.... 

Ok, we have a lot of stuff to do lol

This is a good summary of where things stand.  These issues cannot be fixed through recruiting, transfers, better scheduling, play selection or even selective staff changes.  These are cultural and technique issues that are top down (HC to Assistants).  I only see 3 players that seem to know how to perform and win consistently (Martinez, Robinson, and Taylor-Britt).  Difficult to beat the other team's 85 with only 3.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

And you think that special teams were better this year? I hope you don’t think that because our special teams this year was the worst in the universe. A middle school football team can arguably play better at special teams. 

Point on the doll where reading comprehension hurt you.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I am sorry if I did not understand what you were trying to say but there is absolutely no need to be an @$$ about it. You are not funny (and very rarely are) if that was your intention.

Ha, I probably misunderstood the the tone of your post as well, my apologies. My wife would probably corroborate the bold above.

I think special teams were very bad both seasons. Mainly my point was that if we were to finally do a complete turnaround in that area it might be worth two extra wins per year. 

It's very difficult to decipher why we suck so bad on the kickoff team and why we can't figure out our punting. Field goal kicking definitely was better this year though with Culp, at least.

On 12/24/2020 at 1:11 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I’ve always said they keep KO return stats wrong.  It should be net of where it would have been if it weren’t returned.  

So, if he catches it at the goal line and returns it to the 30, that should only be a 5 yard return because it would have been at the 25 anyway.  If he only gets to the 20, that’s a -5 yard return.  

Believe me, I’m not saying our returns are good.  I’m saying I don’t have a problem with fair catches on KOs.  

Exactly the bolded.  A fair catch is an automatic start at the 25 yard line.  Taking a fair catch on KO would be a start in the right direction until we can field a good return team and returner.

11 hours ago, Undone said:

Ha, I probably misunderstood the the tone of your post as well, my apologies. My wife would probably corroborate the bold above.

I think special teams were very bad both seasons. Mainly my point was that if we were to finally do a complete turnaround in that area it might be worth two extra wins per year. 

It's very difficult to decipher why we suck so bad on the kickoff team and why we can't figure out our punting. Field goal kicking definitely was better this year though with Culp, at least.

I agree that kicking was much better but to be honest every other aspect of special teams was a hot mess. For starters, these players are not taught when to let the ball roll into the end zone and when to return it. I seriously doubt we had more than a 25 yard return all season long. I might be wrong but if there was, I can’t recall it. Also, we had two teams return punts for scores against us. We commit penalties in almost every occasion our special teams are on the field and they really seem lost and have zero confidence in what they are doing. I have watched many other games this season as I enjoy watching college football and I do not think I saw any special teams that are worst than ours. If this area does not improve next season, we are in for another depressing season. I really hope that Frost and company realize this.

7 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I agree that kicking was much better but to be honest every other aspect of special teams was a hot mess. For starters, these players are not taught when to let the ball roll into the end zone and when to return it. I seriously doubt we had more than a 25 yard return all season long. I might be wrong but if there was, I can’t recall it. Also, we had two teams return punts for scores against us. We commit penalties in almost every occasion our special teams are on the field and they really seem lost and have zero confidence in what they are doing. I have watched many other games this season as I enjoy watching college football and I do not think I saw any special teams that are worst than ours. If this area does not improve next season, we are in for another depressing season. I really hope that Frost and company realize this.

Brown had returns of 25 and 29.