Pelini out at LSU

Vizsla1

Uh, no Peso??

Bo Pelini's LSU defense ranked No. 126 of 127 FBS schools in total defense, No. 126 in passing yards allowed and No. 115 in pass defense efficiency with a 157.39 rating.

His defense pretty much sucked.  Maybe the mutual agreement was made  publicly so he could get a 3 year deal with Tennessee, Kentucky, Auburn, Ole Miss, Michigan, Illinois, Texas, North Carolina, Michigan State or whoever else takes the bait.  Even Osborne bought in. 

I have not followed college football very closely this year, but some of the articles I read this a.m. suggested that their defense was improving based on the last four or so games of the season and that they had been absolutely decimated by the NFL draft last year plus COVID opt-outs.

That all may be true, but based on the talent they do have, I don't see any way to justify how that defense turned out. Just abysmal.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I have not followed college football very closely this year, but some of the articles I read this a.m. suggested that their defense was improving based on the last four or so games of the season and that they had been absolutely decimated by the NFL draft last year plus COVID opt-outs.

That all may be true, but based on the talent they do have, I don't see any way to justify how that defense turned out. Just abysmal.

Pelini's defense seems to require talent across the board but any hole can be exploited thoroughly. 

Last 4 Games

A&M 267 yds 13 points (TAMU had a pick 6, but the game wasn't ever in doubt)

Alabama 650 yds 55 points

Florida 609 yds 34 points (Trask had 3 turnovers 2 ints and a fumble)

Ole Miss 558 yds 41 points (KO return for touchdown by Ole Miss. Defense got 6 takeaways to avoid more points from Ole Miss)

Looking through their games their offense seems to be a mixed bag escalating their defensive woes.

Does anybody know how much Pelini has been paid over the last 10 years to not coach vs how much to actually coach? Sorry I’m too lazy to look it up myself but I’m guessing it has to be at least a 5:1 ratio. That is maybe a pretty good indication the guy should adapt and modify what he’s doing. Or not....getting paid to not coach has been a very lucrative deal for him.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:01 PM, JJ Husker said:

Does anybody know how much Pelini has been paid over the last 10 years to not coach vs how much to actually coach? Sorry I’m too lazy to look it up myself but I’m guessing it has to be at least a 5:1 ratio. That is maybe a pretty good indication the guy should adapt and modify what he’s doing. Or not....getting paid to not coach has been a very lucrative deal for him.

I think he could be a good assistant coach or co-defensive coordinator. Not sure which spot or position he would coach though. I thing a g6 or FCS job is right up his alley where he could do good. ULM just hired a new coach and he is old, I could see him landing somewhere like that where it is not a big time gig where  there is minimal pressure. 

LSU had a horrific offense as well. They were just not a great team this year. When Ed O was screaming at Pelini, you knew it was most likely the end. Obviously, it was difficult going from the 3-4 to 4-3 but no way should they have been so bad.

Bo would be a great secondary coach.  He could handle the DBs and Safeties as well.  I always thought that is his natural area for coaching. 

But I'm sure if a DC wanted the corners off the LOS he would go ape s#!t.  Bo loves his corners playing tight, aggressive and physical.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...