Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

54 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Perhaps strangely, I'm not very concerned about the QB spot. I'm not thrilled with AM's progression over three years, but at the moment, I'd also be surprised if Smothers is able to take the starting job. Unseating a three year starter is a tall order, though admittedly not an impossible task.

I feel like we're going to be in the same boat w Martinez next season unfortunately.  He'll complete all of the short-intermediate passes in the world however that will be mixed in with far too many random 'doh' moments where he throws a high pass to kill a drive or just straight turns the ball over with a fumble or int.  If Nebraska is going to take the next step you can't have a QB under center who''s still regularly doing those things esp in year 3 and 4.

I'm not throwing in the towel on LM just yet either.  If you look at how the line was playing back when he got his first start along with Nebraska being at the height of their horrible play calling this year it kinda makes sense.  Let's see what he does after he gets some much needed reps.  Either way you know he can run the ball as good as anyone on the team so lining him up in the backfield is the option I'd be looking to do with him as well next year.

Smothers is intriguing for sure.  Frost more or less said he had a great week of practice and was ready to go against Rutgers but that call never came.   Kinda glad as it might not have looked pretty given how green he is but next season he should finally be getting that look and truly be in the mix.  He looks great on tape both running and passing so looking forward to seeing him against some actual D1 competition and how he reacts.  Who know's.  Maybe he handles it really well.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Every Live-Action Movie With Wolverine (Ranked By Metacritic)

Why the hell are people suggesting Wolverine for Logan's nickname? Like we're seriously going to call our potential starting QB the name of one of the teams we play in the B1G? :facepalm:

If the kid becomes starter and proves out, the kid should be nicknamed Weapon X. It works better on multiple levels than 'Wolverine'.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

I feel like we're going to be in the same boat w Martinez next season unfortunately.  He'll complete all of the short-intermediate passes in the world however that will be mixed in with far too many random 'doh' moments where he throws a high pass to kill a drive or just straight turns the ball over with a fumble or int.  If Nebraska is going to take the next step you can't have a QB under center who''s still regularly doing those things esp in year 3 and 4.

I'm not throwing in the towel on LM just yet either.  If you look at how the line was playing back when he got his first start along with Nebraska being at the height of their horrible play calling this year it kinda makes sense.  Let's see what he does after he gets some much needed reps.  Either way you know he can run the ball as good as anyone on the team so lining him up in the backfield is the option I'd be looking to do with him as well next year.

Smothers is intriguing for sure.  Frost more or less said he had a great week of practice and was ready to go against Rutgers but that call never came.   Kinda glad as it might not have looked pretty given how green he is but next season he should finally be getting that look and truly be in the mix.  He looks great on tape both running and passing so looking forward to seeing him against some actual D1 competition and how he reacts.  Who know's.  Maybe he handles it really well.

I agree with you on Martinez.

As far as Luke, he's a heckuva athlete but I just don't think he is an every down quarterback at this level. I would suppose whether or not he stays with Nebraska will depend on how set he is on playing just quarterback.

Logan. Frost said he was ready but I heard elsewhere that he really didn't take any snaps all week in preparation. And I'm guessing that must be true because I don't see how you don't sit Martinez for at least a series of two after the way he played in that first half. If we truly had anyone else ready, we would've (or should've) seen them.

I'm optimistic with Martinez - he goes stretches without turnovers, he just needs them to be more consistent. Which I can understand people doubting, since it hasn't been consistent. But I think he'll figure it out.

Also willing to be patient with McCaffrey, he has not been a full time QB for long and really could have used spring ball. The deep balls/decision making against Illinois were really bad though, he needs to improve there without a doubt. I think he's earned the chance to keep going through the spring at least, if he wants to be a QB I don't have a problem with it - especially if he is one of our top 2.

I think the 'Logan was ready' was more just talking about knowing the plays/gameplan. I'm sure they hoped Luke would be available, but had Smothers if Martinez went down. I agree that if anyone was truly "ready" they'd probably get some plays after Martinez's 3rd turnover. This next year is his chance to make a move, if Smothers is the better passer in camp I've got to think there'll be some tough conversations with McCaffrey about how he can best help the team and give himself the best opportunities in the NFL. He could turn into an incredible college QB, he's not playing there in the NFL.

• Plus1 1

Let's face it - we have 2 legit QBs at this time  AM and Smothers.  Luke is best suited to play slot or WR - we need his explosiveness on the field full time - like Wan'Dale he can be moved around.  If he really wants to help the team and I think himself long term he'd change positions.  

It appears Logan has the characteristic that AM is missing - the quick decision making.  Perhaps if our line play was better, AM would be so spooked behind the line.  But we really need improvement from the QB spot and I hope Logan can be that guy if AM remains what he has been - adequate but also a turn over machine.  His slower decision making opens up the door for interceptions.

I keep going back to what Frost said about Luke being the future of this program.  Currently, I don't disagree Luke would be better suited moving to WR and maybe that's what happens but it sounds like he has the skills for qb, they're just very, very raw.  Maybe he doesn't ever get them fine tuned enough to really become a good qb but I don't think Frost would call him the future if he didn't see something there.  I'll be surprised if it's not, Martinez #1, LMC #2 and Smothers #3 next season, with LMC and Smothers in a tight race for 2/3.

12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Let's face it - we have 2 legit QBs at this time  AM and Smothers.  Luke is best suited to play slot or WR - we need his explosiveness on the field full time - like Wan'Dale he can be moved around.  If he really wants to help the team and I think himself long term he'd change positions.  

It appears Logan has the characteristic that AM is missing - the quick decision making.  Perhaps if our line play was better, AM would be so spooked behind the line.  But we really need improvement from the QB spot and I hope Logan can be that guy if AM remains what he has been - adequate but also a turn over machine.  His slower decision making opens up the door for interceptions.

So what explains their lack of interest in getting Smothers  on the field even in garbage time?

I stated early in thread that I predict Smothers to start. It will be difficult to unseat 3 yr starter, team captain, but SF made that decision this year, and LM unable to seize his opportunity. 

If AM holds onto job, I am optimistic bc his % late on season was off chart and he did hit a few deep balls. I still say the lack of deep balls was more of a wr issue. He probably could have thrown more, but they would have been 50-50 balls.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Comish said:

So what explains their lack of interest in getting Smothers  on the field even in garbage time?

I agree with Husker in Wi.  The Ohio State game wouldn't have made any sense being the first game of the year.  If anything we were trying to get LM touches.  The next two games were 1 possession games to the wire.  Then we had the Illinois game which wasn't nearly lopsided enough to throw the towel in.  It was a 21 point game at the end of 3 and our defense was holding fairly well by that point- we just needed quick scores.  That's not something you ask of a kid with zero college experience.  The following 4 games all came down to the wire with the only exception being we could have sent him in to kneel the ball against Purdue.  

So now my question.  How would you have any idea how much interest the coaches had in getting Smothers on the field?  I am confident they would have loved to get him out there several times because our team was up by 3+ scores in the final minutes.    

49 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

What garbage time? The only thing that would qualify was late Illinois (which was used for Martinez to re-audition for the starting job) or Ohio State. No other games contained any garbage time. 

Probably an inaccurate modified on my part calling it garbage time.  I was thinking of having him inserted at some point in some game, much like we used Luke in set situations earlier in the year. Just an opportunity to get his feet wet in a year when no one assertively took control of the job. Even at Rutgers, with Luke in street clothes, I'd have liked to see him get some sort of shot.

13 minutes ago, Comish said:

Probably an inaccurate modified on my part calling it garbage time.  I was thinking of having him inserted at some point in some game, much like we used Luke in set situations earlier in the year. Just an opportunity to get his feet wet in a year when no one assertively took control of the job. Even at Rutgers, with Luke in street clothes, I'd have liked to see him get some sort of shot.

Fair enough, problem is they had a hard enough time getting Luke into situations and he's just a different kind of athlete. I'm sure they hoped we would be up 34-7 in the middle of the 4th and could roll Smothers out there - but I don't think he's a dynamic enough athlete to have unique packages of plays, and they do seem committed to giving all of the non-garbage time snaps to the starters or guys in the rotation/competition for the spot. Putting him in to let Martinez take a break could easily backfire, like McCaffrey throwing a pick when he was rushed into the Minnesota game. Shouldn't have been a pick (you can't pop the ball up like that as the receiver), but it was not a good throw at all. 

Interesting tidbit from an article this morning.  Not specifically related to QB play, BUT Wan’dale had 87 touches this season before he had a TD.  We are simply missing playmakers.  I think once’s Betts gets going, Omar actually plays (no idea what’s up) get a RB who totes 20+ times a game, the “potential” of Fidone etc.....we will look/perform much better.  Not a fan of Frost as OC, but our O, until Rutgers, was QB run or try to get Wan’dale crushed.  No team will be successful with that.  Hopefully next year, we can actually go vertical, get the ball to Wan’dale in space and have the RB as the teams leading rusher (not the 4th until Rutgers).  This would make anyone w have as qb better......AM, is the least of my offensive concerns.  

On anothe note, @VectorVictorWeapon X is much more BA than Wolverine. No offense @Stone Cold. I don’t want you to start predicting how many posts until I’m banned. Your like 6-0 to date.....:D

29 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Fair enough, problem is they had a hard enough time getting Luke into situations and he's just a different kind of athlete. I'm sure they hoped we would be up 34-7 in the middle of the 4th and could roll Smothers out there - but I don't think he's a dynamic enough athlete to have unique packages of plays, and they do seem committed to giving all of the non-garbage time snaps to the starters or guys in the rotation/competition for the spot. Putting him in to let Martinez take a break could easily backfire, like McCaffrey throwing a pick when he was rushed into the Minnesota game. Shouldn't have been a pick (you can't pop the ball up like that as the receiver), but it was not a good throw at all. 

That those are all valid points. I was only commenting because all reports say he is the most natural thrower of the three, and both Luke and AM seem manufactured with their motions.  Regardless, it didn't happen and I hope Smothers is not disillusioned enough to become impatient. 

Serious question, how does 2am and the wolverine stand up side to side.  I mean pound for pound, height,  throwing style, throwing ability, pocket passer vs 40time all of that.  I feel somewhat like weve let so many potential good qbs go down the road because we stick with one guy and thats the guy.  We forget the ints thrown all last year, we forget how they look when the pocket collapses.  I remember when cody green, tristin gebba, patrick obrien, ryker fife were all considered the 2nd coming of christ.  And yet none of them worked out.  Did none of them work out or did none of them work in our system.  Does anyone work in our system.  The problem with college is there is an expiration date.  With qbs more than anything, youve got a certain amount of time to join a team, learn a system and prove your worthy to lead that team otherwise your just a backup and maybe never given the chance.  I dont know, seems like this is always a problem for nebraska.  I dont think i can in the history of me seriously watching this program list one qb weve had make it to the next level at qb.  Thats what we need, we need one or two stellar players in 1 position to make or break this team.  Look how good we were with suh, or burkhead.  Just someone who brings some G dam inspiration to his teammates.  Thats what i think we really need.  Can Smothers do it, how long should he wait around for an opportunity.  How many growing pains can we go through to wait for that.  If luke and adrian are flat out badass runners then let them run, and leave the throwing to someone whos g dam accurate at it.  Kinda ranty but id like to not have a heart attack every time the dam ball is thrown.  And if someone isnt going to make a educated decision on throwing the ball then dont friggin throw it.