Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

10 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Big difference between can and will. Adrain absolutely can make all the throws. Will he make a given one? :dunno Luke on the other hand, even the 'can' part is uncertain. Sure didn't look like he had the arm for downfield throws against Illinois, but it is a small sample size.

So, like.. the freshman QB did nothing against Northwestern?? Nothing against Penn State???  As if he only played against Illinois?? 

And how did the REST of the team do in that game too??  

One game was lost on a Saturday, and now there is no hope for the next 3 years to get better and stronger....  Gosh, tough crowd to please.

• Plus1 2

If anyone is thinking we have sitting on the bench a QB in Smothers with superior passing skills, go back and watch his junior and senior highlights.  Maybe the coaches didn't roll him out because he's not yet ready and needs work on his throwing motion and arm strength.

In his highlight film he was either always throwing the touch pass or he still needs work.  I see a lot of moon balls with receivers having to slow down for the ball to get there.  I was looking for one or two frozen ropes but if they're there I missed them.  If this hasn't improved yet, throwing him out against B1G dbs is a confidence breaker.  

• Plus1 2
On 12/24/2020 at 9:18 PM, admo said:

So, like.. the freshman QB did nothing against Northwestern?? Nothing against Penn State???  As if he only played against Illinois?? 

And how did the REST of the team do in that game too??  

One game was lost on a Saturday, and now there is no hope for the next 3 years to get better and stronger....  Gosh, tough crowd to please.

Luke played pretty much like Adrian against Northwestern. Moved the ball well between the 20s, and then bogged down and had an INT in the red zone. Luke didn’t lead a come back victory. Against Penn State, he ran the ball well, was aided by a great play call, blocking, and run for a long TD pop pass to Betts, along with a score by the D to take a big lead. The offense sputtered in the 2nd half, and the D made enough stops to get the win. Against Illinois, they let Luke run, but Luke couldn’t hit wide open receivers in their cover-2 zone defense. These were basic throws he was missing. Along with coming in against Minnesota and throwing another interception which led to a Gopher TD, Luke showed he has a LONG ways to go as a passer. His arm strength is lacking, he doesn’t make great decisions, and he is inaccurate. Those aren’t good qualities for a QB. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Luke played pretty much like Adrian against Northwestern. Moved the ball well between the 20s, and then bogged down and had an INT in the red zone. Luke didn’t lead a come back victory. Against Penn State, he ran the ball well, was aided by a great play call, blocking, and run for a long TD pop pass to Betts, along with a score by the D to take a big lead. The offense sputtered in the 2nd half, and the D made enough stops to get the win. Against Illinois, they let Luke run, but Luke couldn’t hit wide open receivers in their cover-2 zone defense. These were basic throws he was missing. Along with coming in against Minnesota and throwing another interception which led to a Gopher TD, Luke showed he has a LONG ways to go as a passer. His arm strength is lacking, he doesn’t make great decisions, and he is inaccurate. Those aren’t good qualities for a QB. 

Looking back at the McCaffrey recruiting thread, it seems like 90% on board felt he was an athlete rather than a QB. So many mentions of lack of arm strength.....TD/int ratio.

If I had a nickle for everything time someone in that thread suggested WR.......

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, HANC said:

Looking back at the McCaffrey recruiting thread, it seems like 90% on board felt he was an athlete rather than a QB. So many mentions of lack of arm strength.....TD/int ratio.

If I had a nickle for everything time someone in that thread suggested WR.......

He was definitely a project at QB coming out of high school.  Where Frost got burned is that he thought Adrian would be "just fine" at QB, so Frost could take a chance on a project QB in the next recruiting class.  It will be very interesting to see if Frost is going to push Luke into moving to WR.  I don't think it will occur during Spring practice of 2021, but if Smothers progresses where he could be a good #2 (or push Adrian for #1) it would be better for everyone for Luke to move to WR full-time.  Luke is fast enough and tall enough where he could potentially make the NFL at receiver.  It will also be interesting to see if Frost pursues a QB in the transfer market (although I think RB and WR is needed more).

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He was definitely a project at QB coming out of high school.  Where Frost got burned is that he thought Adrian would be "just fine" at QB, so Frost could take a chance on a project QB in the next recruiting class.  It will be very interesting to see if Frost is going to push Luke into moving to WR.  I don't think it will occur during Spring practice of 2021, but if Smothers progresses where he could be a good #2 (or push Adrian for #1) it would be better for everyone for Luke to move to WR full-time.  Luke is fast enough and tall enough where he could potentially make the NFL at receiver.  It will also be interesting to see if Frost pursues a QB in the transfer market (although I think RB and WR is needed more).

I hope Frost learned like every top school already does. Go after the best available QB every year. If he is the best and wins the job great. Some people on this board are worried about kids transferring. Well if that played into Scott’s thought process look where it left us. Adrian not as good as he hoped, Luke not ready to play probably never will be, smothers? Who knows if he is the real deal or not. Some think his HS film suggests he needs work. Haarberg is another project. I am confused what we are doing with our qb targets 

• Thanks 1
On 12/24/2020 at 3:03 PM, runningblind said:

I think that is obvious to anyone watching,  and I'm sure Frost knows this in his own head.  The only one doing a disservice to Luke is Luke by wanting to remain a QB, unless Frost actually believes he can be a QB also. My suspicion is Frost is just trying to keep him on the team and find the right time to broach a position move.

Sometimes I wonder how we landed him during recruiting. I wonder what was promised?  

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Sometimes I wonder how we landed him during recruiting. I wonder what was promised?  

Luke wanted to be able to come in and compete at the QB position, and not be immediately moved to WR or another position for an "athlete".  I think other schools were recruiting him as an athlete, without the promise to try him at QB first.  Frost has given Luke 2 years and the opportunity to take the QB1 job.  Frost gave him 2 games as the starter to win that job.  I don't think Luke will be able to beat out Adrian for QB1 in 2021, and will be challenged to keep the #2 job ahead of Smothers.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Luke wanted to be able to come in and compete at the QB position, and not be immediately moved to WR or another position for an "athlete".  I think other schools were recruiting him as an athlete, without the promise to try him at QB first.  Frost has given Luke 2 years and the opportunity to take the QB1 job.  Frost gave him 2 games as the starter to win that job.  I don't think Luke will be able to beat out Adrian for QB1 in 2021, and will be challenged to keep the #2 job ahead of Smothers.

What are you basing that on since Smothers hasn't played?

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nowhere did I say that Smothers is winning the #2 QB job.  However, there will probably be a healthy competition for the #2 QB job, and if Martinez struggles with his health it could be for the QB1 job, as well. 

I simply asked what you were basing your post on.  I didn't say you said anything....

Just now, TheSker said:

I simply asked what you were basing your post on.  I didn't say you said anything....

Here are my thoughts on the QB depth chart for 2021.  This is based on the current roster and doesn't take into account potential transfers in/out of the program.

QB1 - clearly Martinez.  Adrian is good (not great), but he's still the best option at QB on the current roster.

QB2 - competition between Luke and Smothers, especially if Smothers is able to make a lot of progress in Spring practice.  Based on high school recruiting film, Luke and Smothers are similar players, with Smothers being a bigger kid.  I haven't seen much from Luke which has left me impressed, especially passing the ball.

The QB play needs to improve, so Frost will try to look at all options on the roster and potentially in the transfer market.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Here are my thoughts on the QB depth chart for 2021.  This is based on the current roster and doesn't take into account potential transfers in/out of the program.

QB1 - clearly Martinez.  Adrian is good (not great), but he's still the best option at QB on the current roster.

QB2 - competition between Luke and Smothers, especially if Smothers is able to make a lot of progress in Spring practice.  Based on high school recruiting film, Luke and Smothers are similar players, with Smothers being a bigger kid.  I haven't seen much from Luke which has left me impressed, especially passing the ball.

The QB play needs to improve, so Frost will try to look at all options on the roster and potentially in the transfer market.

What if McCaffrey makes a lot of progress in spring ball?