Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

I know Smoothers came in rated a lot higher than Haarberg but we shouldn't discount him.  He has a hell of an arm, can move well, and at 6'5" he has a pretty high ceiling.  A year of conditioning and weight room and he may be a pretty durable option at QB.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cornheadnation said:

Just saw on twitter, someone post a link to a HuskerOnline forum that there are grumblings of Smothers dipping his toe in ACC land. Anybody else heard anything about this that actually pulls any weight? what I saw didn't reveal any reliable sources and i'm just hoping its someone trying to troll. 

I'll ask but I haven't heard any mention of Smoothers considering a transfer.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Welp.  Looks like he's our solidified #2 quarterback as of now.  Looking forward to finally seeing what he can do.

He will have a great career, IMO. Loved his high school film. 

8 minutes ago, cornheadnation said:

Just saw on twitter, someone post a link to a HuskerOnline forum that there are grumblings of Smothers dipping his toe in ACC land. Anybody else heard anything about this that actually pulls any weight? what I saw didn't reveal any reliable sources and i'm just hoping its someone trying to troll. 

trolling

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I know Smoothers came in rated a lot higher than Haarberg but we shouldn't discount him.  He has a hell of an arm, can move well, and at 6'5" he has a pretty high ceiling.  A year of conditioning and weight room and he may be a pretty durable option at QB.  

Do you think the top tier program make comments about the majority of their guys coming in talking about the weight room and conditioning? I feel like we say this with so many guys coming in. I completely understand the importance of the weight room and getting in that college environment of working out.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Do you think the top tier program make comments about the majority of their guys coming in talking about the weight room and conditioning? I feel like we say this with so many guys coming in. I completely understand the importance of the weight room and getting in that college environment of working out.

This is one thing that irritates me also.  If we continue to recruit kids that "need" a couple years of S&C before they can play, then we will never turn the corner. 

Some of the best coaches in CFB have said that they wont recruit kids who couldn't come in and contribute right away.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Stumpy1 said:

This is one thing that irritates me also.  If we continue to recruit kids that "need" a couple years of S&C before they can play, then we will never turn the corner. 

Some of the best coaches in CFB have said that they wont recruit kids who couldn't come in and contribute right away.  

Eh ... I know what you're trying to say but I'm not sure that's really the case.  I've long maintained that success on the field leads to better recruiting, not the other way around.  I would challenge anyone to find much in the way of examples where it went in the other order.  So when you're trying to build a program you have to start "smaller" on the recruiting front, build some success and then more of the higher-level recruits will be interested.

All coaches are going to say that.  How much it is true is subject to a lot of speculation.  "Some of the best coaches in CFB" have their pick of a lot more recruits that programs that are struggling.

Here's what Saban had to say recently:

“We work hard not to have expectations for players,” Saban said on Marty and McGee on Wednesday night. “I think that’s one of the biggest things we have to overcome with players when they come in the program, the media and the attention they get as high school players whether they’re five stars, four stars, whatever they are. And then they come here with a great expectation for themselves of what they want to try to accomplish. And sometime they want immediate self-gratification, start right away. So they don’t really understand what it takes to develop. So what we really try to emphasize with our players is not to create expectations for them, but simply say ‘OK, this is what this guy needs to do to develop, this is what he needs to improve on, whether it’s physically or in terms of knowledge of the experience so that he can do his job on the field.’

“I think that works a little better. … If we have expectations then we get disappointed and the kids know we’re disappointed in them, they get frustrated and that doesn’t help their development.”

• Plus1 2

For a program like Nebraska in re-build mode. I really sympathize with Frost in the sense he has no idea who will still be on the team next year. You are having your depth transfer out when we need it bad. How do you recruit efficiently because once you sign your class a bunch of kids transfer and it might have changed what positions you recruited that cycle as a priority. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

No....because since they are winning, fans aren’t looking for every recruit to be the instant savior.  

• Plus1 2