Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

• 2 weeks later...

5 hours ago, ndobney said:

If Logan Smothers is worth any of his hype he starts this season. Adrian Martinez was good as a Freshman for a Freshman. But he has degressed every year since he is no more than a place holder at the position and nothing more. 

Martinez may have regressed... but the talent around him at the skill level positions has severely decreased. Some questionable playcalling/usage of certain players as well. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

I know this thread is about Smothers, so I don't mean to derail.  But the other day I was listening to 1620 in Omaha. I wish I would have listened to what Husker reporter they were talking with because he was really hyping up AM.  He was saying that his sources were telling him that Martinez is in a position to blow some people away this Spring and Fall.  He was going on and on about work AM has put in with throwing mechanics, strength, and speed.  He kept saying over and over that he wanted to "wait and see" but couldn't get over how confident his source was.  

I guess we'll see...

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I know this thread is about Smothers, so I don't mean to derail.  But the other day I was listening to 1620 in Omaha. I wish I would have listened to what Husker reporter they were talking with because he was really hyping up AM.  He was saying that his sources were telling him that Martinez is in a position to blow some people away this Spring and Fall.  He was going on and on about work AM has put in with throwing mechanics, strength, and speed.  He kept saying over and over that he wanted to "wait and see" but couldn't get over how confident his source was.  

I guess we'll see...

Was his source Adrians dad?

I hope we see freshman AM again at some point. He has talent. Who knows if it was the shoulder injury or just between the ears, but something hasnt allowed him to make good decisions or good throws.

Seems like a good kid and has some good leadership abilities but the mental/physical stuff hasnt come together.

EDIT- I apologize for keeping the AM talk going in the Logan thread-- feel free to move or delete this since it doesnt fit.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, ndobney said:

If Logan Smothers is worth any of his hype he starts this season. Adrian Martinez was good as a Freshman for a Freshman. But he has degressed every year since he is no more than a place holder at the position and nothing more. 

This is false.

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
4 hours ago, funhusker said:

I guess we'll see...

We can hope and pray, but not many players make a dramatic jump in what should be their senior season. He's an above average (in the true sense of the word average) college QB, he just didn't have much of a supporting cast last year.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

As mentioned before.  AM regressed, but so has the whole offense.  Hoping he gets it together this year.  We will rise or fall on the play of our QB.  Hoping we finally have the supporting cast to allow AM to manage the game, spread the ball around and let him loose enough to keep D's honest.

This is false. The play of the online is more important than the QB.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:19 AM, Hilltop said:

You play the best guy in your QB room, period.  If that person so happens to be a freshman, let the kid play.  If you don't, you can bet on him playing somewhere else the following season unless your name is Alabama or Clemson.

I agree. But more reason to snag a high profile kid every year. No more development projects. Those kids transfer out now too with the portal so might as well recruit a stud and if he wins the job you got an upgrade. McCaffrey was a sub par QB development projected who was supposed to be content sitting behind Martinez and look how that worked 

27 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

This is false. The play of the online is more important than the QB.

I hear you.  My point being, AM, for all intents and purposes, is the QB.  The job is his to lose.  With that being said, if he is not AM 1.0, but one of the other variations, OL or not, we will suffer.  Unsure if Frost tries the QB change again.

49 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree. But more reason to snag a high profile kid every year. No more development projects. Those kids transfer out now too with the portal so might as well recruit a stud and if he wins the job you got an upgrade. McCaffrey was a sub par QB development projected who was supposed to be content sitting behind Martinez and look how that worked 

I am hoping that with Frost speaking about helping AM this year, we finally see a positive progression of AM 1.0.  I'm with you on the development of a guy.  To date, we appear to have the inability to develop a QB.  Find guys that are not "project" guys.  The staff still seems to struggle with the basics ie time management, penalties etc....Trying to develop and improve the coaching acumen seems like continued issues.  Still not sold on Verduzco.  TBH, I am not sold on Held's ability to develop a RB.....

11 hours ago, lo country said:

I am hoping that with Frost speaking about helping AM this year, we finally see a positive progression of AM 1.0.  I'm with you on the development of a guy.  To date, we appear to have the inability to develop a QB.  Find guys that are not "project" guys.  The staff still seems to struggle with the basics ie time management, penalties etc....Trying to develop and improve the coaching acumen seems like continued issues.  Still not sold on Verduzco.  TBH, I am not sold on Held's ability to develop a RB.....

I think it's more fair to say that Nebraksa has recruited 2 non projects and 2 projects. AM wasn't a project QB and neither was Smothers. He had legitimate interest from across the country, but committed to Frost and shut down his recruitment. McCaffrey was a project at QB, but after taking AM the year before it was likely to go that way and he was great player. Haarberg is a project QB, but when he committed we had three 4 stars on the roster at QB so it was likely to be a project year anyhow.

• Plus1 1