Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

On 3/30/2021 at 8:30 PM, runningblind said:

The Smothers starting part definitely is.

So if Smothers is the real deal he shouldn't? I respectfully disagree if Smothers is in fact the real deal Heisman level player at the QB position we have been hoping for under Frost he should start. Doesn't matter to me he is a Freshman. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ndobney said:

So if Smothers is the real deal he shouldn't? I respectfully disagree if Smothers is in fact the real deal Heisman level player at the QB position we have been hoping for under Frost he should start. Doesn't matter to me he is a Freshman. 

I could see him taking over in season, but I just don't believe he will blow the doors off enough to start game 1.

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

I could see him taking over in season, but I just don't believe he will blow the doors off enough to start game 1.

And just like last year Martinez will start once again based off of his experience.  It's 50/50 whether he actually plays better or not this year imo.  Even if he does how much does that push the program forward in terms of how many more games do we end up with the W and who those wins are against which is important.

I'll just say this.  I'm more than ready for a new stable of quarterbacks recruiting wise.  We offer wide receiver's like we are giving out candy but you need a great quarterback to get the most out of those offers.  

We need to start not only offering but getting more Logan Smothers and that's no shot at Heinrich Haarberg who looks good throwing the ball but just like I feel is AM's case so much of the game is between the ears.  You either have it or you don't.  Hopefully Smothers and Haarberg get a fair shot to see the field at some point so we can actually begin to find out.

That being said I'm pulling for Smothers to hopefully show the coaches some things as I am not holding my breath for the offense under Adrian Martinez yet again young players on the o line and at WR or not.  The same goes for the offense under Frost and Lubick.  I want to see a lot of Smothers during the spring game that's for sure.

37 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The only way I hope for this is if we are far enough ahead that the 2nd stringers are in.  Other options aren’t good. 

After the past couple of seasons I am open to other options i/e Smothers.  It would be incredible if he could somehow come out of the spring a legiitmate contender to push for the starting job but I am myself doubtful this happens mostly because of Frost and the decision making process.

24 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

After the past couple of seasons I am open to other options i/e Smothers.  It would be incredible if he could somehow come out of the spring a legiitmate contender to push for the starting job but I am myself doubtful this happens mostly because of Frost and the decision making process.

I agree.  So, if Smothers is on the field, either we are far ahead or 2AM is struggling or injured. 

I don’t like those last two options.  

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'll just say this.  I'm more than ready for a new stable of quarterbacks recruiting wise.  We offer wide receiver's like we are giving out candy but you need a great quarterback to get the most out of those offers. 

I think you've got it bass ackwards: we need great WRs to let our QBs shine. We might be throwing out WR offers like they're candy, but the fact is, Frost's only WR recruit that's amounted to anything (so far) is gone now. I'm still firmly in the camp that says we could've had Joe Burrow and wouldn't have fared a whole lot better with this supporting cast around the QB the last couple years.

• Plus1 3
On 3/31/2021 at 10:08 AM, WyoHusker56 said:

I think it's more fair to say that Nebraksa has recruited 2 non projects and 2 projects. AM wasn't a project QB and neither was Smothers. He had legitimate interest from across the country, but committed to Frost and shut down his recruitment. McCaffrey was a project at QB, but after taking AM the year before it was likely to go that way and he was great player. Haarberg is a project QB, but when he committed we had three 4 stars on the roster at QB so it was likely to be a project year anyhow.

i think clearly we have some coaching deficiencies. good teams overcome a few penalties and some minor injuries, we don't do this.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Toe said:

I think you've got it bass ackwards: we need great WRs to let our QBs shine. We might be throwing out WR offers like they're candy, but the fact is, Frost's only WR recruit that's amounted to anything (so far) is gone now. I'm still firmly in the camp that says we could've had Joe Burrow and wouldn't have fared a whole lot better with this supporting cast around the QB the last couple years.

let's face it, a lot of what Frost is doing is not working in the Big 10.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
36 minutes ago, Toe said:

Agreed and he sure as hell wouldn't have been the number one overall pick

1 hour ago, Toe said:

If you don't think Joe Burrow and our offense could/would have faired better than it has behind Adrian Martinez then no offense but I definitely want some of what you are having.  

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Agreed and he sure as hell wouldn't have been the number one overall pick

Id like Joe Burrow for position competition and depth, he would have been more prepared than AM and that is one of many faults on Frost, but in the end he was paid a favor. Plus, even Vegas liked AM more than JB preseason (and they tell us Nebraska isn’t relevant)

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

If you don't think Joe Burrow and our offense could/would have faired better than it has behind Adrian Martinez then no offense but I definitely want some of what you are having. 

Please, could you tell me who you think he'd be throwing to?

If all you've got is a Kade Warner out there dropping would-be TDs, it doesn't really matter a damn bit if the ball was thrown by Burrow or Martinez.

• Plus1 4