Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

McAffrey is not recruiting over. Haarberg is not recruiting over. I dont think you can say Smothers is recruiting over anyway. Martinez is the highest rated and most sought after QB we have landed and that was year 1. Smothers may end up being a badass but we have no idea. Saying oh well he committed early to Nebraska and shut his recruiting down so thats why he didnt rise in the rankings or get more offers is not good enough for me. Do you really think the top teams in the country would not have pursued him if they thought he was gonna be the next Marcus Mariota. I doubt any of the top teams were saying man I dont think we can steal someone from Nebraska?

Smoothers had a long offer list, including Ohio State.  He would have had more offers from the other top programs but he committed very early and clearly stated he wasn't going to consider other offers.  

Would it have been smart to pursue another top QB who would likely transfer or did it make sense to bring in a home state kid at the time Haarberg was offered?  To me it makes complete sense to bring Haarberg in at the time they did.  He is likely to hang around a year or two longer to provide, at minimum, a solid 3rd string option.  When you look around the country, almost all programs struggle to keep a viable 3rd string guy on the roster for more than a year or two.

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

McAffrey is not recruiting over. Haarberg is not recruiting over. I dont think you can say Smothers is recruiting over anyway. Martinez is the highest rated and most sought after QB we have landed and that was year 1. Smothers may end up being a badass but we have no idea. Saying oh well he committed early to Nebraska and shut his recruiting down so thats why he didnt rise in the rankings or get more offers is not good enough for me. Do you really think the top teams in the country would not have pursued him if they thought he was gonna be the next Marcus Mariota. I doubt any of the top teams were saying man I dont think we can steal someone from Nebraska?

The top teams in the country did pursue Smothers... I believe Alabama and Ohio State both made a late push for him. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The QBs for the Kelly/Frost system on its most successful run were: Dennis Dixon (top-50 recruit), Jeremiah Masoli (unranked player from a JUCO), Darron Thomas (high three star), Marcus Mariota (low three star), Vernon Adams (FCS transfer), and McKenzie Milton (low three star). Recruiting over guys in their system doesn't mean signing five stars every year (1) because Nebraska's not capable of doing that, and (2) they've made their living on finding guys who fit their system.

• Plus1 3
18 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Take it to the tangent thread pal and when you do make sure you don't casually overlook 2 AM's last 2 years here...  Or maybe those didn't happen amirite????

Very convenient but definitely NOT surprising...

Move along now...

We're not talking about Adrian's past two years; we're talking about the circumstances surrounding Burrow's success and how that would have translated to him potentially playing at Nebraska. 

Now, you still have a question to answer. 

• Haha 1

Why not discuss this privately guys.. the forum in it's entirety needs not to wade through this. Just saying..

I personally choose to believe. To believe in circumstance. To believe in hope. To believe in trust. To believe one year can make a difference. Joe Borrow is proof of that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Adrian Martinez did regress, and it was in his decision-making, not so much the failure of the talent around him. We saw that same offensive talent pay excellent and efficient quarters, including about 1/3 of the Ohio State cold opener. But the team and Martinez did not do so well when other defenses adjusted and the pressure ramped up. 

I like what I'm hearing about Martinez doing everything he can to make this year different and better. Wouldn't be surprised if he pulls it off and shuts up his doubters, including sometimes me. 

It only helps the team to have Martinez doing well on the field while Smothers gets itchy to play on the sideline. 

What probably wouldn't help is Martinez opting for his fifth year. 

• Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Adrian Martinez did regress, and it was in his decision-making, not so much the failure of the talent around him. We saw that same offensive talent pay excellent and efficient quarters, including about 1/3 of the Ohio State cold opener. But the team and Martinez did not do so well when other defenses adjusted and the pressure ramped up. 

I like what I'm hearing about Martinez doing everything he can to make this year different and better. Wouldn't be surprised if he pulls it off and shuts up his doubters, including sometimes me. 

It only helps the team to have Martinez doing well on the field while Smothers gets itchy to play on the sideline. 

Well said and funny thing is while I've been incredibly frustrated with his decision making/turnovers the past 2 seasons I'm pulling for him too.  As I told a good friend the other day when were talking ball I said I think he's tough as nails and while he's not the rah rah type of leader his toughness proves it out there on that football field.  If he can turn it around and clean up his game then I'm more than happy to roll with Martinez.   I think his issues seem 100% mental to me compared to year 1.

Smothers on the other hand is incredibly intriguing and not simply because he is the back up.  By all accounts he is a fiery competitor, has great feet and speed and can throw a pretty nice ball also.  Super curious to find out just how well he can handle the bright lights and big moments when and if they come his way.  His upside is high so I'm stoked to get to finally see him in action even if it is in the spring game.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Well said and funny thing is while I've been incredibly frustrated with his decision making/turnovers the past 2 seasons I'm pulling for him too.  As I told a good friend the other day when were talking ball I said I think he's tough as nails and while he's not the rah rah type of leader his toughness proves it out there on that football field.  If he can turn it around and clean up his game then I'm more than happy to roll with Martinez.   I think his issues seem 100% mental to me compared to year 1.

Smothers on the other hand is incredibly intriguing and not simply because he is the back up.  By all accounts he is a fiery competitor, has great feet and speed and can throw a pretty nice ball also.  Super curious to find out just how well he can handle the bright lights and big moments when and if they come his way.  His upside is high so I'm stoked to get to finally see him in action even if it is in the spring game.

I'm curious as well ... but in another way ... it's probably just the "negative Nellie" going on in me ... but I don't at this point believe we will ever see Logan play.  I see him transferring within the next two years.  AM is Frost's guy and he has the job for the next two years regardless.  One would have to hope for an AM injury and then a swift and decisive, dynamic upgrade be seen by Logan for AM to be unseated ... again, as my "negative Nellie" mind states it.

At this point, nothing good swirls in my mind.  I see little light and really have no hope or excitement for any improvement at all this year.  I will purpose to post little to not drag down the board.

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

It's not because he's the backup and an unknown huh? Sure.  :D

I listened through the Joe Burrow conversation and still have to agree that if the rest of the offense doesn't substantially improve around the QB it won't matter who is QB. Your comment is exactly what someone just wanting the backup in would say.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You're basing your opinion on 1/3 game, which was scripted and practiced for months, for the fault being all on Martinez and not on the rest of the offense?  Huh.  You don't think OSU was cold themselves?  Martinez makes mistakes sure but you think there was an offense around him good enough to win 9 games if you swap QBs?

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It's not because he's the backup and an unknown huh? Sure.  :D

I listened through the Joe Burrow conversation and still have to agree that if the rest of the offense doesn't substantially improve around the QB it won't matter who is QB. Your comment is exactly what someone just wanting the backup in would say.

You're basing your opinion on 1/3 game, which was scripted and practiced for months, for the fault being all on Martinez and not on the rest of the offense?  Huh.  You don't think OSU was cold themselves?  Martinez makes mistakes sure but you think there was an offense around him good enough to win 9 games if you swap QBs?

No. Read it again. I said the offense was good enough to win a well scripted quarter, but didn’t make the right attitude or scheme adjustments when the other team did. That’s on coaching as much as talent. We need to do better with both. 

• Thanks 2

Good thing about Smothers is that he's still considered a 'Freshman' this season due to getting a free year last year so if I'm not mistaken he can still play in 4 games this year and still would be considered a RFR next season.  If I'm not mistaken which is also very much possible.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No. Read it again. I said the offense was good enough to win a well scripted quarter, but didn’t make the right attitude or scheme adjustments when the other team did. That’s on coaching as much as talent. We need to do better with both. 

I gotcha. I will agree with that but I think the offensive talent overall was only good enough to execute in that perfect scenario.  The coaches didn't adjust well enough, fully agree.  Definitely on coaching overall, have to at least get as much out of what you have as possible, we get around 60% it seems.

11 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Good thing about Smothers is that he's still considered a 'Freshman' this season due to getting a free year last year so if I'm not mistaken he can still play in 4 games this year and still would be considered a RFR next season.  If I'm not mistaken which is also very much possible.

You are correct.  He can redshirt this season while playing in up to 4 games.  I can really see his career going 2 completely different directions.  If Adrian struggles this year, I think he will see opportunities to win the job.  If that happens, I could see him playing here through his senior season (if he is as good as we all hope he is).  However, if Adrian performs well, and doesn't get injured, I would be surprised to see Logan stay here to burn 2 more years of eligibility while being a backup.  I think there is a fair chance we never see him in a starting role.    

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You are correct.  He can redshirt this season while playing in up to 4 games.  I can really see his career going 2 completely different directions.  If Adrian struggles this year, I think he will see opportunities to win the job.  If that happens, I could see him playing here through his senior season (if he is as good as we all hope he is).  However, if Adrian performs well, and doesn't get injured, I would be surprised to see Logan stay here to burn 2 more years of eligibility while being a backup.  I think there is a fair chance we never see him in a starting role.    

Third option is AM plays well and chooses to go to the NFL instead of utilizing his extra COVID year and Smothers seamlessly takes the reins next year as a redshirt freshman! Just trying to be optimistic. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2