Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

On 4/2/2021 at 9:01 AM, Huskers93-97 said:

McAffrey is not recruiting over. Haarberg is not recruiting over. I dont think you can say Smothers is recruiting over anyway. Martinez is the highest rated and most sought after QB we have landed and that was year 1. Smothers may end up being a badass but we have no idea. Saying oh well he committed early to Nebraska and shut his recruiting down so thats why he didnt rise in the rankings or get more offers is not good enough for me. Do you really think the top teams in the country would not have pursued him if they thought he was gonna be the next Marcus Mariota. I doubt any of the top teams were saying man I dont think we can steal someone from Nebraska?

“Recruiting over” doesn’t have anything to do with star ratings.  

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

“Recruiting over” doesn’t have anything to do with star ratings.  

Did you think any QBs recruited after Martinez were going to come in and compete for the job right away? Or did we hear they all needed a year or 2 development. That’s what I remember the narrative being 

• Plus1 2
On 4/3/2021 at 7:31 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

Did you think any QBs recruited after Martinez were going to come in and compete for the job right away? Or did we hear they all needed a year or 2 development. That’s what I remember the narrative being 

Unless you're getting Trevor Lawrence every QB is going to come in with the expectation of development. There are very few if any true freshmen QBs who can unseat an returning starter. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Unless you're getting Trevor Lawrence every QB is going to come in with the expectation of development. There are very few if any true freshmen QBs who can unseat an returning starter. 

Dude it shouldn’t be that hard. Have you seen Martinez the last 2 years. We tried Mcaffrey last year it was so bad. Freshman Adrian beats out Sophomore and Junior Adrian. I am just saying pretty much no other legit school wanted Luke as a qb, hasberg isn’t beating out anyone anytime soon. You don’t give yourself much options when no one else is ready. How many years running have we had no depth behind our starter? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Another similar quote.  Encouraging and good to hear about Smothers doing some good things along with Haarberg and Martinez.

Best day of practice? Great now Smoothers and the WRs will never be seen again.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

Kind of compiling several reports from the last couple weeks, this is where the #2 QB race seems to me:

Smothers knows the offense better and makes good decisions but he doesn't seem to have the strongest arm.

Haarberg can really fire it but needs to improve accuracy and decision-making.

So they both have some good qualities and both have things they need to work on.  

Haarberg's short-comings would seem to be more expected given limited time and the program and also more fix-able.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

On 4/17/2021 at 5:36 PM, Mavric said:

Kind of compiling several reports from the last couple weeks, this is where the #2 QB race seems to me:

Smothers knows the offense better and makes good decisions but he doesn't seem to have the strongest arm.

So they both have some good qualities and both have things they need to work on.  

Haarberg's short-comings would seem to be more expected given limited time and the program and also more fix-able.

This is exactly what I'm thinking, Mav.

On 4/17/2021 at 5:36 PM, Mavric said:

For what it's worth OWH said after the practice that Smothers looked good on deep passes and seemed to direct traffic well but misplaced some short throws.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

For what it's worth OWH said after the practice that Smothers looked good on deep passes and seemed to direct traffic well but misplaced some short throws.

I think the videos we've seen say otherwise about the deep throws, specifically the one horrendously under thrown ball that Javin made a one handed INT on.

• Haha 1

Sounds like mixed reviews about smothers in the media. More positive thoughts about Haarberg. That seems to be a bad sign about how we are recruiting. Seems like lately the new arrival is the best looking but needs development. Then the next year he doesn’t look ready or can’t throw very good but the new kid is the best of them all just doesn’t know the offense. I think if we truly recruited a great talent they would stand out 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Sounds like mixed reviews about smothers in the media. More positive thoughts about Haarberg. That seems to be a bad sign about how we are recruiting. Seems like lately the new arrival is the best looking but needs development. Then the next year he doesn’t look ready or can’t throw very good but the new kid is the best of them all just doesn’t know the offense. I think if we truly recruited a great talent they would stand out 

Hmmm....not sure I agree.  Smothers was pretty highly recruited out of HS so many people thought he was a good talent.  Really, the only knock on Haarberg out of HS was that he was from a C1 school in central Nebraska.  There's a lot of time left for both of them before I'm willing to call them a bust.