Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

Haarberg is taller, stronger, and has a stronger arm. Still a good enough runner when needs to be. I always like taller QBs...with that said I think Smothers runs the offense pretty well. Great runner and gets the ball out when it needs to be. Not the best mechanics but sometimes AM waits too long and worries about throwing a pretty ball. Just get that damn thing out on time. Very overlooked QB asset. Milton was great at that with Frost at UCF

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really, the only knock on Haarberg out of HS was that he was from a C1 school in central Nebraska. 

That, and fact that they weren't able to do an in-person evaluation due to covid.

35 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I think a lot of the fan base is just so jaded we focus on the negative a lot more than the positive, and in doing so just assume that player is going to end up being super disappointing. Especially at the QB position

Not to make an excuse for the negative thoughts. But we as a fanbase have had basically the last 20 years worth of conditioning from the program to have us get let down. I have been the homer positive fan for the last 18.5 years but the last 1.5 I have gotten tired of being burned over and over and over.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm....not sure I agree.  Smothers was pretty highly recruited out of HS so many people thought he was a good talent.  Really, the only knock on Haarberg out of HS was that he was from a C1 school in central Nebraska.  There's a lot of time left for both of them before I'm willing to call them a bust.

Heh, a Class C1 quarterback being recruited to FBS.  For some reason Scott Frost didn't hold that against him.  :)  

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Sounds like mixed reviews about smothers in the media. More positive thoughts about Haarberg. That seems to be a bad sign about how we are recruiting. Seems like lately the new arrival is the best looking but needs development. Then the next year he doesn’t look ready or can’t throw very good but the new kid is the best of them all just doesn’t know the offense. I think if we truly recruited a great talent they would stand out 

This sounds more like media and fans anointing the newest recruit as the savior every year and then doing it again the next year and disparaging the other guy to promote the savior. We did it with Martinez, McCaffrey, Smothers, Haarberg, seems like a trend in over hyped expectations and not recruiting/development issues.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This sounds more like media and fans anointing the newest recruit as the savior every year and then doing it again the next year and disparaging the other guy to promote the savior. We did it with Martinez, McCaffrey, Smothers, Haarberg, seems like a trend in over hyped expectations and not recruiting/development issues.

I agree with the media/fan assessment of the new guy being the future savior. BUT, has anyone progressed and developed into said savior? No- that would lean on development and recruitment.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree with the media/fan assessment of the new guy being the future savior. BUT, has anyone progressed and developed into said savior? No- that would lean on development and recruitment.

Going into year 4 no quarterback is going to be our savior until other factors like the offensive line get taken care of.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Going into year 4 no quarterback is going to be our savior until other factors like the offensive line get taken care of.

We need to put things in perspective. Because I see guys post stuff like this on this board. Or other similiar comments about talent. Those evaluations and thoughts make sense to me and hold water when you are comparing against an opponent like Ohio State, Penn State etc. Teams who have better talent across the board and specifically on Dline and Linebackers who is mostly who are Oline is blocking. 

You cannot blame the offensive line for Martinez or any other QB looking like dog s#!t against the likes of Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, Minnesota. We out recruit everyone in the big 10 outside of michigan, ohio state and penn state. So I personally dont like saying we suck because lack of talent. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
50 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Smothers has been on campus for a year and we've seen extremely limited practice video of him. There is no way to expect he'd be a savior. Haarberg is a true freshmen again no way to expect he's a savior. 

How many coaching staffs are recruiting and developing guys into saviors by their redshirt freshman year? So those two can't even realistically be judged. 

McCaffrey was a miss but that's 1 out of 4. Martinez has another year to show what he can do before you can say this staff didn't develop him well. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Sounds like mixed reviews about smothers in the media. More positive thoughts about Haarberg. That seems to be a bad sign about how we are recruiting. Seems like lately the new arrival is the best looking but needs development. Then the next year he doesn’t look ready or can’t throw very good but the new kid is the best of them all just doesn’t know the offense. I think if we truly recruited a great talent they would stand out 

This may all be related to "expectations".  Everyone has/had high hopes for Smothers and probably still should.  Maybe he isn't as ready as some had hoped and with a class C level athlete at Nebraska, especially at Quarterback, many think "project".  These assessments may be relative to expectation level.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

We need to put things in perspective. Because I see guys post stuff like this on this board. Or other similiar comments about talent. Those evaluations and thoughts make sense to me and hold water when you are comparing against an opponent like Ohio State, Penn State etc. Teams who have better talent across the board and specifically on Dline and Linebackers who is mostly who are Oline is blocking. 

You cannot blame the offensive line for Martinez or any other QB looking like dog s#!t against the likes of Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, Minnesota. We out recruit everyone in the big 10 outside of michigan, ohio state and penn state. So I personally dont like saying we suck because lack of talent. 

Against Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, and Minnesota Adrian Martinez was a combined 60 for 81 (74 percent) for 570 yards and four touchdowns passing and no interceptions with another 177 yards and four touchdowns rushing. I'd hardly call that "dogs#!t". 

Additionally, all four of those teams have a skill position player who's going to be drafted in a couple weeks (in Purdue's and Minnesota's case, within the first 50 picks) while we started Kade Warner for a good chunk of the season and our best draft prospect is a Day 3 offensive tackle known for his footwork. Recruiting rankings are not the only factor in talent. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
55 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Against Illinois, Iowa, Purdue, and Minnesota Adrian Martinez was a combined 60 for 81 (74 percent) for 570 yards and four touchdowns passing and no interceptions with another 177 yards and four touchdowns rushing. I'd hardly call that "dogs#!t". 

Additionally, all four of those teams have a skill position player who's going to be drafted in a couple weeks (in Purdue's and Minnesota's case, within the first 50 picks) while we started Kade Warner for a good chunk of the season and our best draft prospect is a Day 3 offensive tackle known for his footwork. Recruiting rankings are not the only factor in talent. 

93-97 knows all of this - he is still just mad and won't change until we win a championship of some kind.  

mad little girl GIF

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1