Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

Going into year 4 no quarterback is going to be our savior until other factors like the offensive line get taken care of.

Or for that matter any other year.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

We out recruit everyone in the big 10 outside of michigan, ohio state and penn state. So I personally dont like saying we suck because lack of talent. 

Recruiting doesn't mean s#!t if the talent doesn't stick around, and that's been a rather large problem at certain positions. Emphasis on that last part - it's been a particularly big problem with the WRs, where we'll be fielding a squad that's almost entirely new this year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

93-97 knows all of this - he is still just mad and won't change until we win a championship of some kind.  

mad little girl GIF

I would settle for a winning record, then double digit wins and restart a winning tradition. If you complete 74% of passes but don’t win who cares. It’s 74% because most were less than 10 yards. Get real boys. Some of you love excuses more than winning I think 

• Plus1 3

I would settle for a winning record, then double digit wins and restart a winning tradition. If you complete 74% of passes but don’t win who cares. It’s 74% because most were less than 10 yards. Get real boys. Some of you love excuses more than winning I think 

Is the QB the only one that matters with winning?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Recruiting doesn't mean s#!t if the talent doesn't stick around, and that's been a rather large problem at certain positions. Emphasis on that last part - it's been a particularly big problem with the WRs, where we'll be fielding a squad that's almost entirely new this year.

We went through 3 years of Riley where the recruiting was horrible.  When Frost came in, he had to turn over the roster and he did, very aggressively, and I support him doing that.  Now, the linemen on both sides are going to be the longest to develop on the team due to needing to develop their bodies and working together as a unit.  So far, we have seen what seems to be very good recruiting on the O line.  Hopefully this year, we start to see the development of that recruiting on the field.   

• Plus1 2

He actually averaged just under 10 yards per completion during that stretch.  I follow you and don't fault your stance regarding no excuses- you are entitled.  However, AM doesn't deserve 100% of the blame for last years lack of wins.  He actually performed pretty well during some stretches in spite of the lack of good play around him.  I can tell you this is a popular opinion in the locker room.  Very few guys are pointing fingers at the QB.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We went through 3 years of Riley where the recruiting was horrible.

Ehh, it kinda depends what you mean by 'horrible'. Like if you look at the ratings & rankings, Riley & Keith Williams were absolutely outstanding WR recruiters. But in terms of recruiting guys who actually stick around, yeah, that was horrible - it left us with a huge void in the offense that we're still trying to fill. And frankly, so far it's been the same story for Frost - he's recruited some highly rated WRs, yet here we are heading into year four trying to break in what's practically a whole new squad.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

We went through 3 years of Riley where the recruiting was horrible.  When Frost came in, he had to turn over the roster and he did, very aggressively, and I support him doing that.  Now, the linemen on both sides are going to be the longest to develop on the team due to needing to develop their bodies and working together as a unit.  So far, we have seen what seems to be very good recruiting on the O line.  Hopefully this year, we start to see the development of that recruiting on the field.   

I was curious so I looked up how many players each of the four schools mentioned had drafted in The Athletic's latest seven-round mock:

Iowa: 4 (Nixon, Golston, Niemann, Jackson); Minnesota: 2 (Bateman, St-Juste); Purdue: 2 (Rondale, Barnes); Illinois: 2 (Green, Hobbs) ... Nebraska: 1 (Jaimes). A mock draft is obviously subjective but by the clearest indicator of how talented your team is ("Do people at the next level of the sport want your players?") we were very arguably the least talented of the four.

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

60 completions for 570 yards is 9.5 yards per completion, which would have ranked 11th nationally over the full season. Maybe we should all get back to the Logan Smothers talk?

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Toe said:

Ehh, it kinda depends what you mean by 'horrible'. Like if you look at the ratings & rankings, Riley & Keith Williams were absolutely outstanding WR recruiters. But in terms of recruiting guys who actually stick around, yeah, that was horrible - it left us with a huge void in the offense that we're still trying to fill. And frankly, so far it's been the same story for Frost - he's recruited some highly rated WRs, yet here we are heading into year four trying to break in what's practically a whole new squad.

Recruiting players that want to be here, stick around and do what is needed to be successful is all part of that. 

And, Frost made a coaching change with that group and look at the change in the room. It turned into the room fans are most excited about.  

• Plus1 1

On 4/20/2021 at 6:30 PM, J-MAGIC said:

60 completions for 570 yards is 9.5 yards per completion, which would have ranked 11th nationally over the full season. 

Incorrect. The top 11 guys at yards per attempt were above 9.5. Those guys' yards per completion were all better than 14. 

AM's YPA of 7.0 had him sitting at 81st in the country. His yards per completion for the whole season was 9.76!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/player/_/table/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt/dir/desc

• Thanks 3
  • 1 month later...

Smothers has rare “innate vision” that allows him to “see a wider picture” and better read a defense, Verduzco said. He makes quick decisions and is a great runner because of his speed. Smothers’ struggles with his passing motion should be resolved after 15 weeks of drill work that started earlier this spring, Verduzco said.

The QB’s progression — and NU’s confidence in it — is at least part of the reason why Frost and Verduzco did not pursue a quarterback in the transfer portal this spring.

“At the point of release, (his) control was just inconsistent,” Verduzco said of Smothers, who will technically be a redshirt freshman headed into training camp. “And we knew that going in, that wasn’t something we didn’t realize. It’s an easy fix, really. I anticipate that will be corrected. When he got in and had a chance to participate in fall camp last year, even through the season, Frosty was pretty fired up about the young cat.”

OWH