Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

As far as speed goes, from what I've heard Smothers's best asset there is that he's quick and shifty in the pocket, avoiding the rush well. A 4.5 40 is what I've heard, too. Not quite as good on the deep ball as Haarberg or Martinez, but good accuracy and just about automatic within 10.

Biggest problem for him is just limited development time. More time is spent developing guys farther back on the depth chart during spring and fall camps, while during the season itself most of the focus is on getting the top two guys ready for that week's opponent. But last year we didn't really get a spring camp and fall screwy too. Verduzco pretty much alluded to this and said Smothers came in this spring kinda cold and regressed on some things they'd worked on in fall camp, but should be OK on as he gets more reps.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 months later...

My impression from practice reports is that Smothers is ahead, but Haarberg might be progressing faster. Smothers is probably a lock for #2 to start the season, but it might not stay that way forever...

36 minutes ago, Toe said:

My impression from practice reports is that Smothers is ahead, but Haarberg might be progressing faster. Smothers is probably a lock for #2 to start the season, but it might not stay that way forever...

I would think that Haarberg would have to be obviously better for him to be listed as the #2 on the depth chart.  If it's anywhere close, you pretty much have to list Smothers or he'd likely leave.

As to who would actually go into a game if needed, I agree that I still think it's Smothers at this point.  He just seems to be able to run the offense better at this point.  Probably doesn't have the big arm but if you're in that situation you're looking for a guy to hold down the fort and not lose the game.  I'm not sure either is ready to go out there and carry the team at this point.

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would think that Haarberg would have to be obviously better for him to be listed as the #2 on the depth chart.  If it's anywhere close, you pretty much have to list Smothers or he'd likely leave.

As to who would actually go into a game if needed, I agree that I still think it's Smothers at this point.  He just seems to be able to run the offense better at this point.  Probably doesn't have the big arm but if you're in that situation you're looking for a guy to hold down the fort and not lose the game.  I'm not sure either is ready to go out there and carry the team at this point.

Smothers if he needs to drive. Haarberg if its a hail mary.

42 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Once Adrian leaves we're in serious trouble. We need a legit big-time QB and neither of these guys are it.

This is my concern.  A lot of coach speak ie excited for the competition, really close etc.....That might be true.  BUT it's concerning.  I do not think either one is "close" too AM.  QB and RB are positions with little to no proven depth.

• Plus1 1

I'm more than curious who will be the #2 and how soon one of them move on.  My guess is that one of them will be gone after the season [probably Smothers].  That whole QB position is gonna be almost vacant in another year.  Hopefully Martinez materializes this year and then stays around through next year so we can get in a few more QB's.  It looks like we will need a transfer who is a capable starter next year as I don't see anyone being here or being developed enough to start.

• Plus1 2

I think the prototype for Smothers is McKenzie Milton. If you can make good reads and make quick, smart decisions he could have a ton of success in this offense without a big arm. He is extremely athletic so he could still be very dangerous I just hope he’s not McCaffery 2.0.  Haarberg reminds me of Josh Allen. Big, strong arm and pretty athletic but he is obviously very raw. In my opinion he has an NFL ceiling but will take years to develop. If he beats Smothers out, Smothers most certainly transfers so he’s probably QB3 no matter what this year. In years past I’d be very concerned about depth but in this day and age if we need a QB we will almost certainly hit the transfer market and at minimum get somebody decent. Hopefully we have some success and Adrian shows out and we can get a big time QB like Raiola for 2023.

One thing I still don’t like is we still haven’t established an offensive identity. If Smothers comes in we are probably going to adjust our offense vs if Haarberg comes in. Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio State don’t have to adjust their offense for their QB’s. That being said Torres resembles Haarberg much more than Smothers. Could be coincidence that the best guy they could get two years in a row are big athletic guys with strong arms or maybe they’ve figured out those kind of QBs will be better suited in the B1G. I think this is the case and they actually prefer Haarberg’s skill set if they believe he can make the correct reads/decisions. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Farms said:

One thing I still don’t like is we still haven’t established an offensive identity. If Smothers comes in we are probably going to adjust our offense vs if Haarberg comes in. Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio State don’t have to adjust their offense for their QB’s. That being said Torres resembles Haarberg much more than Smothers. Could be coincidence that the best guy they could get two years in a row are big athletic guys with strong arms or maybe they’ve figured out those kind of QBs will be better suited in the B1G. I think this is the case and they actually prefer Haarberg’s skill set if they believe he can make the correct reads/decisions. 

"Offensive Identity" is a red herring - a euphemisism for "we aren't good enough".

What would you say is Clemson's "offensive identity"?  What about Oklahoma?

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

"Offensive Identity" is a red herring - a euphemisism for "we aren't good enough".

What would you say is Clemson's "offensive identity"?  What about Oklahoma?

I know what you mean but also don’t think it’s 100% true. My point was the skill set of Haarberg and Torres is a bit different than McCaffery and Smothers. It may indicate that they may have shifted their philosophy a bit. Or it may mean nothing at all.

• Plus1 1