Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

On 3/31/2021 at 10:08 AM, WyoHusker56 said:

I think it's more fair to say that Nebraksa has recruited 2 non projects and 2 projects. AM wasn't a project QB and neither was Smothers. He had legitimate interest from across the country, but committed to Frost and shut down his recruitment. McCaffrey was a project at QB, but after taking AM the year before it was likely to go that way and he was great player. Haarberg is a project QB, but when he committed we had three 4 stars on the roster at QB so it was likely to be a project year anyhow.

Do the top schools take project QBs or the best available every year? The top teams go get the best they can. I remember the Osborne staff talked about how their job was to recruit over the current kids on the roster. Not say oh we have good players no reason to try to get a kid who could beat Martinez 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

2018?!?!?!  Where are 2AM's 2019 and 2020 stats???!!!!  Also W/L records????!!!!

ExcellentShortIberianlynx-small.gif

Cherry picking is fun huh lulz....

Gotta hand it to HB to actually draw equal comparisons to an actual Heisman trophy winner and national championship MVP to...Adrian Martinez.  woof...

Don't pull a muscle moving those goalposts; we're talking about Burrow's impact he would have at at Nebraska, and given that 2018 was both his first year at LSU, and Martinez's first at Nebraska, the comparison is apt. 

Now, take a deep breath, and try again. 

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Don't pull a muscle moving those goalposts; we're talking about Burrow's impact he would have at at Nebraska, and given that 2018 was both his first year at LSU, and Martinez's first at Nebraska, the comparison is apt. 

Now, take a deep breath, and try again. 

Take it to the tangent thread pal and when you do make sure you don't casually overlook 2 AM's last 2 years here...  Or maybe those didn't happen amirite????

Very convenient but definitely NOT surprising...

Move along now...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'm really sorry to break this to a few of you but Joe Burrow is a lot better quarterback regardless of who he has as his wide receivers...  

I guess we can expect to still see 2AM on Sundays then?  Scouts should be able to see that it's his receiving corp the last 2 years that has been the problem?  (Hopefully it's still not their fault this year...)  Wait, the O line?  Wait, the play calls?  It doesn't matter... 

I look forward to seeing him get drafted...

I don't disagree Burrow was very good at LSU.  At OSU, he wasn't going to start.  His first year at LSU wasn't stellar.  Coach O and Joe Brady built that O we saw when he won the Heisman from the ground up for him (and developed him).  He had all caliber players around him on both sides of the ball.   What made him so good was his processing speed and ability to not make mistakes (in addition to his arm). He is a dude.  Look at his play at Cincy.

I also think a QB like that would make a team better.  He would have less miscues, receivers would be hit in stride, he can make all the throws etc....But the talent level (and coaching) would be no where near what he had at LSU.  I think we go bowling with him in 2018 and maybe 2019.  The TO's and inability to hit even the most basic passes really hurt NU with (insert QB) play here.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Do the top schools take project QBs or the best available every year? The top teams go get the best they can. I remember the Osborne staff talked about how their job was to recruit over the current kids on the roster. Not say oh we have good players no reason to try to get a kid who could beat Martinez 

I am hoping that Frost and Co have realized going into year 4 that the B1G is not a developmental league.  You need kids who can play from the jump. Not kids you hope you can develop.  Different in polishing and trying to develop. On the D side, I see improvement.  Kids getting player.  Not so much on the O side.  And it's not just a knock on Frost and Co.  For years and multiple coaches it looked like some kids best year was their first.  After that they didn't look as good.  

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Take it to the tangent thread pal and when you do make sure you don't casually overlook 2 AM's last 2 years here...  Or maybe those didn't happen amirite????

Apparently the thought never occurred to you that maybe it was the players around Martinez that changed in those last 2 years (hint: they did), and not Martinez himself. Must take some real mental gymnastics...

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Toe said:

Apparently the thought never occurred to you that maybe it was the players around Martinez that changed in those last 2 years (hint: they did), and not Martinez himself. Must take some real mental gymnastics...

Mental gymnastics.  Kinda like when you and another insinuated that having Joe Burrow instead as our QB would make zero difference for us....

FObUEpO.gif

Sharp as a tack I tell ya.

Back to the topic...

I agree with Chaz to a degree as most of the experience returning is on the defensive side of the ball but our newcomers on the OL have that much needed experience of last year under their belts.  Hopefully Frost/Lubick have learned from some of their mistakes last year as well.

19 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Mental gymnastics.  Kinda like when you and another insinuated that having Joe Burrow instead as our QB would make zero difference for us....

Or, you know, you could go back and read what I actually said...

6 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Oh I absolutely agree he wouldn't have been the same QB as he was at LSU.  Regardless a QB with his skill set is still going to make a huge huge difference to your entire team let alone your offense versus having an average quarterback under center.

Only if we have really good receivers too.  

3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Where did I say they weren't trying to get better players? The post I quoted acted like Frost has only taken projects which isn't true. I guarantee if they could have gotten a better QB this year they would have. Frost and staff have said the same exact thing about recruiting over players on the team. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Where did I say they weren't trying to get better players? The post I quoted acted like Frost has only taken projects which isn't true. I guarantee if they could have gotten a better QB this year they would have. Frost and staff have said the same exact thing about recruiting over players on the team. 

McAffrey is not recruiting over. Haarberg is not recruiting over. I dont think you can say Smothers is recruiting over anyway. Martinez is the highest rated and most sought after QB we have landed and that was year 1. Smothers may end up being a badass but we have no idea. Saying oh well he committed early to Nebraska and shut his recruiting down so thats why he didnt rise in the rankings or get more offers is not good enough for me. Do you really think the top teams in the country would not have pursued him if they thought he was gonna be the next Marcus Mariota. I doubt any of the top teams were saying man I dont think we can steal someone from Nebraska?

• Plus1 1