Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

3 minutes ago, Toe said:

Starting McCaffrey shouldn't have happened either, so...

He talked about that as well.  Sounds like they were pretty worked up over the INT against Northwestern which played into it.  I'm sure along with the offense seeming to look more crisp after McCaffrey went in (even if we didn't score).

But Frost, Verdu and Martinez apparently had a long conversation after that game.  They really didn't like that throw.  I suppose maybe it was a long, forced pass that didn't need to be made? 

I had to go back and look.  We were down 1 in the 3rd quarter but we seemed to be starting to click.  Martinez converted a 3rd & 11 with a 19-yard run then immediately had a 28-yard run to get us into NW territory.  We got another first down and had the ball at the NW 25 on 2nd down when he threw that INT.  The put in McCaffrey after that.

Seems like Verdu keeps coming back to "trying to do too much".  Maybe they had already been working on that and that looked like Martinez wasn't figuring it out.  :dunno

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, Mavric said:

Seems like Verdu keeps coming back to "trying to do too much".  Maybe they had already been working on that and that looked like Martinez wasn't figuring it out.  :dunno

Yep. Something that may be a biproduct of not really establishing a successful base running game with your running backs and a successful intermediate passing game with your wideouts.

I want to believe that the right pieces are going to be in place to fix both of those issues this season but if I'm being honest, I kind of doubt it.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Yep. Something that may be a biproduct of not really establishing a successful base running game with your running backs and a successful intermediate passing game with your wideouts.

So that begs the question - Is Smothers going to be the odd man out?  With Verdu and Frost selecting 2 tall, pro style QBs during the current and last year recruiting cycles,  will Logan be a relic of the 'before the coaches understood the Big 10" past?   We are looking at bigger TE, Bigger WR and taller QBs with a more traditional passing skill set.  It seems Smothers doesn't fit the future of the scheme.  :dunno

11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So that begs the question - Is Smothers going to be the odd man out?  With Verdu and Frost selecting 2 tall, pro style QBs during the current and last year recruiting cycles,  will Logan be a relic of the 'before the coaches understood the Big 10" past?   We are looking at bigger TE, Bigger WR and taller QBs with a more traditional passing skill set.  It seems Smothers doesn't fit the future of the scheme.  :dunno

I just highly doubt he'll be the odd man out. Martinez is 6'2" and so is Smothers, according to the official Huskers dot com site. No problems there at all in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I just highly doubt he'll be the odd man out. Martinez is 6'2" and so is Smothers, according to the official Huskers dot com site. No problems there at all in my opinion.

Right, somebody asked a question yesterday about the size of newer recruits (including QB) and Frost went out of his way to say it isn't something they specifically look for in QBs. I think it's more of a coincidence than a trend that Haarberg and Torres are giants.  

• Plus1 1

I think we spend too much time talking about the system when we should be simply focused on the results. One team can ride with different skill sets at quarterback and different plans on offense at any time. The main motivation to play a quarterback is that he leads, wins and is clutch. Alabama is a case in point on this. Look at Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts. Very similar ways of playing. Mobile, electric play makers in the run game, etc. Then take a look at Mack Jones as compared to  AJ McCarron. Very similar. Pro style. Sit in the pocket and deliver. Play action passing and that sort of thing. All the QBs mentioned did well for the same coach. The system was changed to fit the QBs because those guys could deliver.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

I think we spend too much time talking about the system when we should be simply focused on the results. One team can ride with different skill sets at quarterback and different plans on offense at any time. The main motivation to play a quarterback is that he leads, wins and is clutch. Alabama is a case in point on this. Look at Tua Tagovailoa and Jalen Hurts. Very similar ways of playing. Mobile, electric play makers in the run game, etc. Then take a look at Mack Jones as compared to  AJ McCarron. Very similar. Pro style. Sit in the pocket and deliver. Play action passing and that sort of thing. All the QBs mentioned did well for the same coach. The system was changed to fit the QBs because those guys could deliver.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point.  But I think you have your grouping wrong.  Tagovailoa ran for 340 yards in his college career.  All of 17 of them his last year.  I don't think that really qualifies as "electric".

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

I guess I’m considered a downer on AM and sincerely want to be optimistic, but outside of his leadership and drive for team mentality I have caution with his in-game ability. 

There isn’t one glaring issue, but there’s always *something* and that to me is the terrible problem - it’s like buying a lemon. We can talk surrounding cast, play calling, coaching, but at the end of the game - there are more times I wallow at QB play than I say, man that guy finds a way to get it done. I do sincerely root for the kid and want to be optimistic. I do hold optimism with the offense after the Farnioks, Wandale, Warner, and Mccaffrey are gone - they were dead weight or selfish. So, I’m optimistic the personnel changes compliment each other and increase the efficiency. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I guess I’m considered a downer on AM and sincerely want to be optimistic, but outside of his leadership and drive for team mentality I have caution with his in-game ability. 

There isn’t one glaring issue, but there’s always *something* and that to me is the terrible problem - it’s like buying a lemon. We can talk surrounding cast, play calling, coaching, but at the end of the game - there are more times I wallow at QB play than I say, man that guy finds a way to get it done. I do sincerely root for the kid and want to be optimistic. I do hold optimism with the offense after the Farnioks, Wandale, Warner, and Mccaffrey are gone - they were dead weight or selfish. So, I’m optimistic the personnel changes compliment each other and increase the efficiency. 

If your QB gives you lemons just toss in a cup of sugar baby 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Wasn't Logan considered a 'running' QB - dual threat- like AM coming out of high school.   That is why I was thinking he is becoming 'odd man out' - wt Frost seemingly turning more towards pro-style QBs.   Perhaps my perception of Logan is off and that he really is a 'passer first' who can also run if need be.  :dunno

14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Wasn't Logan considered a 'running' QB - dual threat- like AM coming out of high school.   That is why I was thinking he is becoming 'odd man out' - wt Frost seemingly turning more towards pro-style QBs.   Perhaps my perception of Logan is off and that he really is a 'passer first' who can also run if need be.  :dunno

Logan seems to be quicker and Haarberg has the bigger arm. 

I think a lot of people are jumping to a lot of conclusions that Frost is changing a lot of things about how he recruits.  They claim he changed to recruit bigger linemen even though his first class had three OL that were 6-6 or taller.  They claimed he was changing to recruit bigger backs but the commit we just got is 5-11, 185.  They claimed he was recruiting taller, more pass-first QBs.  Frost specifically said that how tall the QB is isn't really a priority.  He talked about how he's had success with all different kinds of QBs.

So I think the talk is overblown.  I think they find the guys they like best that they can get interested in coming to Nebraska.  Some are a little better at one thing and others are a little bit better at something else.  Verdu specifically said Smothers is a little inconsistant in his release point.  It was something they knew coming in and had worked on it but then it cropped up again this spring.  He doesn't expect it to be an issue going forward but it sounds like that was the source of a lot of the "struggles" Smothers had this spring.  

But from all accounts Smothers runs the offense very well and is pretty accurate.  So I think the comments that he is the odd man out are premature.  It could still end up being the case but I think it's far from decided at this point.

• Plus1 8
22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Logan seems to be quicker and Haarberg has the bigger arm. 

I think a lot of people are jumping to a lot of conclusions that Frost is changing a lot of things about how he recruits.  They claim he changed to recruit bigger linemen even though his first class had three OL that were 6-6 or taller.  They claimed he was changing to recruit bigger backs but the commit we just got is 5-11, 185.  They claimed he was recruiting taller, more pass-first QBs.  Frost specifically said that how tall the QB is isn't really a priority.  He talked about how he's had success with all different kinds of QBs.

So I think the talk is overblown.  I think they find the guys they like best that they can get interested in coming to Nebraska.  Some are a little better at one thing and others are a little bit better at something else.  Verdu specifically said Smothers is a little inconsistant in his release point.  It was something they knew coming in and had worked on it but then it cropped up again this spring.  He doesn't expect it to be an issue going forward but it sounds like that was the source of a lot of the "struggles" Smothers had this spring.  

But from all accounts Smothers runs the offense very well and is pretty accurate.  So I think the comments that he is the odd man out are premature.  It could still end up being the case but I think it's far from decided at this point.

Good summary. Thanks for the additional info.