Logan Smothers

suh_fan93

2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

We have had receivers running wide open in every game this year.  We can put that excuse to bed.  If AM needs a receiver to be completely wide open for him to complete the pass then we will never win more then 4 games with him at QB. 

We can only put that excuse to bed if the WR's are consistently doing what they're supposed to be doing, but based on some of the coaches' comments and analysis from those who follow the program, that's not the case. It's a seemingly mixed bag of mistakes from play to play.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember when these guys were the next joe montana in a husker uniform: Harrison beck, Tristan gebbia, Bubba starling, Ryker Fyfe, Patrick o'brian, Tanner lee, Mike stuntz, Cody green, Sam keller, Brion carnes, Johnny stanton, Zack darlington, AJ bush, etc, etc; you get the point.

Will smothers be a baller or a turd? Who knows. What I do know is until we get our OL figured out, stop the bad snaps, turnovers, make an actual commitment to run the ball, stop the penalties, get some reliable recievers that can get open and quit with the questionable play calling, it wouldn't matter if you put patrick mahomes back there. 1 guy isn't going to tip the scales for us with all that garbage. 

I've been pretty critical of AM, but the guy isn't getting a ton of help from the rest of the team and coaching staff. He's probably the best QB on the roster at the end of the day. 

• Plus1 3
16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Big difference I see between how Mahomes reacts in the locket under pressure and AM....Mahomes is constantly looking downfield while also feeling/seeing the pressure around him.  That’s why he is so dangerous outside the pocket.  

AM gets pressure and he takes eyes off of the downfield receivers and only sees those pass rushers.  He doesn’t buy time outside the pocket to throw usually.  He gets outside the pocket to run and misses some wide open receivers 15-25 yards downfield.  He may be taught that, but if so it’s a big failure on the coaches part IMO. 

I don't believe this is accurate.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Agreed. Adrian is most dangerous as a passer in my opinion when he's rolling out.

I know there are a lot of things to talk about during the offseason and we can talk about them all in these next nine months...but I think too much is put on QB play for the outcome of our Win/Loss column when the bigger variables at play are actually stupid penalties and bad special teams.

I haven't followed this thread very closely but I think anybody that argues that Smothers would come in next year and completely turn our record around as a single variable just isn't paying very close attention to the core problems this team has.

About the wide open WR. Assuming no one on the board is on the team, so no one can confidently argue one way or the other. Yes, guys were open. You can blame QB.  But, sometimes guys were open but QB wasnt able to set feet and was scrambling out of pressure unable to find or legitimately hit open WR. Also, way too many times, 2 WR running routes within 5 yds of each other beyond the "rub zone" concept, which is a sign that guys are running wrong routes. Could mean that some of those open guys are open in areas they are NOT supposed to be, meaning QB eyes are elsewhere.  Blame WR.

Unless you know the exact design of play, really tough to be critical of any group with 100% certainty. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Agreed. Adrian's two most impressive throws as a Husker (the body turned parallel to LOS pass to Allen vs. Northwestern in 2019 and the fourth-down throw against Purdue in 2019) were both him scrambling outside the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield.

I also wish that some people understood that just because you see a wide receiver in open space doesn't mean they are "open" and the QB missed them. Sometimes it's just not physically possible to get the ball to someone because you don't have arm strength or are scranbling. Sometimes you may not be able to reasonable assume you can protect long enough to get the ball on-time to a certain route. Sometimes it might be a decoy route last in the progression and the defense is ignoring it as such.

• Plus1 3
37 minutes ago, HANC said:

About the wide open WR. Assuming no one on the board is on the team, so no one can confidently argue one way or the other. Yes, guys were open. You can blame QB.  But, sometimes guys were open but QB wasnt able to set feet and was scrambling out of pressure unable to find or legitimately hit open WR. Also, way too many times, 2 WR running routes within 5 yds of each other beyond the "rub zone" concept, which is a sign that guys are running wrong routes. Could mean that some of those open guys are open in areas they are NOT supposed to be, meaning QB eyes are elsewhere.  Blame WR.

Unless you know the exact design of play, really tough to be critical of any group with 100% certainty. 

I think the consensus is there is something lacking in the passing game. We’re w/o a threat beyond Wandale in the passing game. 

Seems like our options are,

1. Try and get an immediate impact guy at QB if Frost believes AM isn’t cutting it.

2. Try and get an immediate impact WR that can open things up for Wandale, Allen/Fidone and our run game. 

3. Hope AM or our current stable of WRs make significant progress and we can see the 3000 - 3500 passing yards and 30+ Passing TDs Frost requires for his offense to win games. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think the consensus is there is something lacking in the passing game. We’re w/o a threat beyond Wandale in the passing game. 

1. Try and get an immediate impact guy at QB if Frost believes AM isn’t cutting it.

2. Try and get an immediate impact WR that can open things up for Wandale, Allen/Fidone and our run game. 

3. Hope AM or our current stable of WRs make significant progress and we can see the 3000 - 3500 passing yards and 30+ Passing TDs Frost requires for his offense to win games. 

I agree but, I would put Allan up there with Robinson as a threat.  

We can agree that we need more, especially a down field threat.  

47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree but, I would put Allan up there with Robinson as a threat.  

If Betts figures it out, he could a LM so be a guy who can stretch field a bit.

44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost's offense has always featured a guy (or multiple) that took the top off the defense and averaged 20 yards a reception. This year we didn't have a guy with more than 10 receptions average over 11 yards a catch. Hoping Betts or Omar can be that big body to put up 30 Catches, 600 yards is scary to me. They both seem capable, but still unproven. I hope Frost does AM a service and searches high and low for an immediate  impact dude that has proven to do that. They're not easy to find.

34 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Frost's offense has always featured a guy (or multiple) that took the top off the defense and averaged 20 yards a reception. This year we didn't have a guy with more than 10 receptions average over 11 yards a catch. Hoping Betts or Omar can be that big body to put up 30 Catches, 600 yards is scary to me. They both seem capable, but still unproven. I hope Frost does AM a service and searches high and low for an immediate  impact dude that has proven to do that. They're not easy to find.

Wasn’t the guy from Iowa also supposed to be able to do that?

5 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

#2 is why Omar is here. We gotta get him on the field 

• Plus1 1