2021 Offensive Line

Mavric

A couple things I noticed while updating my scholarship distribution chart for next year:

As of right now, we could have 18 scholarship OLinemen next year.  Gaylord probably won't be back and I'm not sure about Matt Farniok either so it might only be 16.  It's possible that a couple of the Juniors might look elsewhere as well. 

For this past year, we had 17.  That's the most scholarship offensive linemen we've had since 2013 (18).  Frost's first year was the low-water point with only 11.  For 2021 we'll have 11 that are Freshmen!  Three freshman and a sophomore started against Rutgers.

If either Matt Farniok stays or Ezra Miller finds his way into the starting lineup, we could be starting four four-star recruits.  Currently we have Benhart, Corcoran, Farniok, Jurgens and Miller that fit that description.  I don't have any sure numbers on that but that would have to be the first time that's happened in quite some time.  Incoming recruit Prochazka is a four-star as well.

From my chart - as far as I know Miller hasn't earned a scholarship yet.

OL LT Turner Corcoran Matthew Anderson*      
18 LG Henry Lutovsky Michael Lynn*   Trent Hixson*  
  C     Cameron Jurgens*    
  RG   Ethan Piper*   Matt Sichterman* Matt Farniok*
  RT Teddy Prochazka Bryce Benhart*     Christian Gaylord*
    Alex Conn Brant Banks*      
    Branson Yager Jimmy Fritzsche* Will Farniok* Broc Bando*  
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice stuff (as usual), Mav. I'm pretty sure Gaylord already said he won't be back, FWIW. 

Edit - I guess, it isn't explicit... but tweeted his thanks to Pelini for recruiting him and Frost for coaching him, said it is an honor to say he played here... and then RT'ed his brother who tweeted "today you hang up #65" at him before the Rutgers game. 

30 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Nice stuff (as usual), Mav. I'm pretty sure Gaylord already said he won't be back, FWIW. 

Edit - I guess, it isn't explicit... but tweeted his thanks to Pelini for recruiting him and Frost for coaching him, said it is an honor to say he played here... and then RT'ed his brother who tweeted "today you hang up #65" at him before the Rutgers game. 

I think Gaylord has officially “retired” from football.

2 hours ago, Decked said:

Is Matt Anderson still not gaining weight? Haven’t heard much on Fritzsche. Lynn hasn’t popped up in a while too. I think Conn may surprise some next year. 

Those guys were all projects so it’s no surprise they aren’t contributing quite yet. But we took a big lineman class that year and with Corcoran, Piper, and Benhart looking like they are going to be entrenched starters for years it wouldn’t surprise me to see one of those guys move on either.

19 minutes ago, uberism said:

No surprise there. There have been OL guys in that same class that already broke the two deep plus and he hasn't. Wasn't going to make an impact then. Doubt he could put on the weight too. The best of luck to him. 

Yeah, we took a couple projects (Anderson, Lynn, and Fritszche in particular) and some weren't going to work out. Also I know you can't read too much into the roster heights/weights, but Anderson came in listed at 255 and was still listed at that weight this year. Fritszche was listed at 275 as a true freshman - which I seriously doubt, he was less than that - and then 290 this year. Benhart went from 295 to 330 his redshirt year. Again I doubt those specific numbers, but coming in as low as 255 and not having any kind of change on the roster was a red flag at the start of the year.

Is Lynn playing Guard? Fritzsche I know was a huge project so still willing to wait and see, but if both of them are at Tackle I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on too. I don't expect redshirt freshman/sophomore linemen to automatically be in the two deep in the future as we build depth, but the whole two deep at tackle could be their class or younger. Corcoran/Banks and Benhart/Miller? So maybe one of them can grab the #2 RT spot, but Teddy is coming for that one sooner or later. 

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...