Dicaprio Bootle

lo country

36 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Damn, and here I thought our dbs were pretty stout this year.  Reading through this thread I guess I was wrong.

This is where fans who follow college more than then NFL get hung up. You can be a very solid college DB and never have a shot at the league.  Two percent of college players make the NFL, meaning only the very elite players or those with potential (usually meaningful physical traits) are going to get drafted.  Bootle was very solid for us, but I think anyone who isn't a homer would admit he isn't in the top 2-5% of corners in college football.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This is where fans who follow college more than then NFL get hung up. You can be a very solid college DB and never have a shot at the league.  Two percent of college players make the NFL, meaning only the very elite players or those with potential (usually meaningful physical traits) are going to get drafted.  Bootle was very solid for us, but I think anyone who isn't a homer would admit he isn't in the top 2-5% of corners in college football.

I would agree.  The NFL is looking for guys who can run with the Tyreek Hill's on Sundays.  Very few guys on the planet that can hang, no matter how much work they put in.  That said, the NFL also needs practice squad guys to take a beating throughout the week for a decent paycheck.  Maybe that is where DB can find a spot.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I think Husker fans have this problem.  I look at Stan, Oz, Farmer from 2018....Great for NU, but not really even a blip on the NFL draft boards.  We have been down for so long, that any player who "makes a splash" we think is the next sure fire guy to get drafted.  And because he excels on our team, we equate this to success on other teams and at the next level.  I do think we have some late rounds.UDFA guys right now that could go.

In looking at this years draft, how many of our starters would start at another school?  Taking off the homer glasses, probably not many.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, runningblind said:

I get that. I wasn't commenting on his draft stock and maybe I misunderstood some of the comments here and in other threads but to me, our db play has been much improved over three or four year ago.  How many times do fans blame the dbs when the pass rush isn't getting them any relief or they're playing a soft zone or the coverage is good but a receiver comes up with a circus catch?

I'd take our two corners from this year every year.  We could work with that.

1 hour ago, Lightfighter214 said:

No one in the nfl can run with hill.

Again, just cause bootle isnt the best, doesn't mean he isn't serviceable. 

He had a good career here

There are NFL DBs with 40 times (4.29) equal to Hill.  Serviceable can mean a lot of things... can he make a roster as a free agent?  Maybe.  Not a chance he gets drafted.  

He definitely had a good career here and I wish him the best. 

2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I get that. I wasn't commenting on his draft stock and maybe I misunderstood some of the comments here and in other threads but to me, our db play has been much improved over three or four year ago.  How many times do fans blame the dbs when the pass rush isn't getting them any relief or they're playing a soft zone or the coverage is good but a receiver comes up with a circus catch?

I'd take our two corners from this year every year.  We could work with that.

Fair enough,  and I fully agree without the improvement.

2 hours ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Yeah, im not a homer and if you have to insult someone to make a point, well, that about says all one needs about your logic and character. 

I was simply explaining the realities of the NFL draft,  wasn't trying to insult you, I'm pretty sure everyone on this board is a homer to a degree otherwise we wouldn't be here.  Happy holidays!  :cheers

• Mavric changed the title to Dicaprio Bootle