2021 Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I would assume this would apply to spring games as well...

Wow, it only took the Big Ten nine months to reach a conclusion that the other power conferences had already implemented last year. It is wild to me that the Big Ten office holds as much sway over the schools as it does... no wonder the conference has struggled to be nationally relevant for decades. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, Wistrom Disciple said:

Wow, it only took the Big Ten nine months to reach a conclusion that the other power conferences had already implemented last year. It is wild to me that the Big Ten office holds as much sway over the schools as it does... no wonder the conference has struggled to be nationally relevant for decades. 

I agreed with you... until the last sentence.  Struggled to be nationally relevant?  What exactly are you comparing?  The B1G is currently the number 1 basketball conference by a mile.  #2-3 in football yearly with the occasional #1 finish.  Volleyball has arguably been #1-2 consistently.  Baseball has been just so-so like all other northern conferences that struggle to get outside.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
31 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I agreed with you... until the last sentence.  Struggled to be nationally relevant?  What exactly are you comparing?  The B1G is currently the number 1 basketball conference by a mile.  #2-3 in football yearly with the occasional #1 finish.  Volleyball has arguably been #1-2 consistently.  Baseball has been just so-so like all other northern conferences that struggle to get outside.  

The conference has an over-inflated sense of importance. Example: Cancelling the football season one week after releasing the schedule, under the assumption all the other conferences would fall in line. The other conferences didn't cower and our conference leadership looked foolish in the months following. 

As for being relevant nationally, there are only two sports (basketball & football) that carry the weight for the discussion. These two are the core money makers across the country for each school and conference.

In college football, outside of Ohio State, no Big Ten program has been close to championship relevancy in 20+ years. Basketball is supposed to be the best in the country this year, though some of that has been due to the conference curving schedules into their favor in order to maximize the number of teams to qualify for the NCAA tournament. Smart from a financial perspectives but hard for me to agree that it's the best conference when they're forcing Nebraska to play 14 games in 29 days, including a back to back against a bad Maryland program just to boost the tournament profile. Sadly, the conference has been more known for scandals and controversies the past couple decades than they have been for on-field/court championships. 

1 hour ago, macroboy said:

^ you didn’t really help yourself there.

In what sense? If the argument is that the Big Ten is nationally relevant simply because they are 20% of the "Power Five," sure I'll accept that. However, that would also apply to the Big 12 and Pac-12 as they are also each 20% of the "Power Five." However, where it actually counts (on the field and court), the Big Ten is much closer to being the Pac-12 than it is the SEC or ACC and thus not relevant nationally as perennial title contenders. I hope these trends change but with the current conference leadership, I'm not so sure we'll be any better as a league. 

Please note: the Big Ten conference has won exactly one NCAA Basketball title in the past 30 years (Michigan State in 2000). In the same 30 years, members of the Big Ten have only won three football titles (Michigan '97, OSU '02 & '14). For reference, the lowly Pac-10/12 has won two titles in both basketball & football, not including '04 USC's vacated title, during the same 30 year period.

^^I am not including Nebraska's titles or Maryland's titles as these were won while members of different conferences. 

34 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

In what sense? If the argument is that the Big Ten is nationally relevant simply because they are 20% of the "Power Five," sure I'll accept that. However, that would also apply to the Big 12 and Pac-12 as they are also each 20% of the "Power Five." However, where it actually counts (on the field and court), the Big Ten is much closer to being the Pac-12 than it is the SEC or ACC and thus not relevant nationally as perennial title contenders. I hope these trends change but with the current conference leadership, I'm not so sure we'll be any better as a league. 

Please note: the Big Ten conference has won exactly one NCAA Basketball title in the past 30 years (Michigan State in 2000). In the same 30 years, members of the Big Ten have only won three football titles (Michigan '97, OSU '02 & '14). For reference, the lowly Pac-10/12 has won two titles in both basketball & football, not including '04 USC's vacated title, during the same 30 year period.

^^I am not including Nebraska's titles or Maryland's titles as these were won while members of different conferences. 

Any legitimate point you could have made was voided by the bold.  Please see yourself out.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Haha I agree, I was trying to give the other side of the argument the benefit of the doubt... it’s more sad when you remove the Michigan “title”

I for one made fun of the Big Ten all the time before we joined.  My first roommate in Lincoln in 03 was an Iowa fan and we have him crap all the time.  Karma is a b!%$# eh?

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I for one made fun of the Big Ten all the time before we joined.  My first roommate in Lincoln in 03 was an Iowa fan and we have him crap all the time.  Karma is a b!%$# eh?

No doubt. I mean it was the right move to join the conference a decade ago, but this past year has only reaffirmed how different the average Nebraskan thinks versus the conference leadership. Thankfully, Nebraska was on the correct side of common sense.

With the tug-o-war improvements I've seen this year I expect at least 3 or 4 extra wins.

Once we improve our American Gladiators pedestal joust technique I expect to see conference titles.

Competing for national titles won't come until we're excelling at the elementary school field day obstacle course.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

With the tug-o-war improvements I've seen this year I expect at least 3 or 4 extra wins.

Once we improve our American Gladiators pedestal joust technique I expect to see conference titles.

Competing for national titles won't come until we're excelling at the elementary school field day obstacle course.

I just want to see the weight room reports. I think we set team records in S&C most of the last ten offseasons. 

• Plus1 2

The Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors will have the final say, Moos said, on whether Nebraska or any other Big Ten school can have fans at their spring games. Moos anticipates a decision will be made in the next couple weeks.

“There’s a lot of support for it among the ADs,” Moos said. “I think that’s promising. At the end of the day, it’ll be decided by the presidents and chancellors. Allowing attendance at NCAA championships and the Big Ten’s approval of allowing fans at championships on local campuses, that’s a real positive sign.”

If the league COP/C approves fans for spring games, Moos prefers that Lincoln/Lancaster County health officials advise on fan capacity at Memorial Stadium instead of a Big Ten standard rule.

OWH

• Mavric changed the title to 2021 Spring Practice Notes