2021 Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

2 hours ago, Decked said:

Strange how the big ten can tell you that you can or can’t have fans at your own stadium. For a game against yourself. Weird! 

I completely disagree.

It's not strange at all for our conference leadership to lay down unity rules for spring football attendance.  Let's hope by fall everything will be in place for semi (or normal) attendance.  That's when the real deal occurs. The spring game is a novelty, injury free participation with lots of post game media sessions. The scrimmage means nothing within the big picture.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, admo said:

I completely disagree.

It's not strange at all for our conference leadership to lay down unity rules for spring football attendance.  Let's hope by fall everything will be in place for semi (or normal) attendance.  That's when the real deal occurs. The spring game is a novelty, injury free participation with lots of post game media sessions. The scrimmage means nothing within the big picture.

Why let the conference dictate what you do within your own school/city for a scrimmage? The practice does not affect other teams within the conference and actually is a source of revenue with the TV network. So long as the school follows local/state health guidelines, why have a conference office 500+ miles away decide what that school does?

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2

11 hours ago, admo said:

I completely disagree.

I think the university can easily work with local health departments to ensure that a 85,000-90,000 capacity stadium could hold 15,000-20,000 safely. I don’t like blanket orders coming down from the conference so inept they canceled the season & after getting a swift kick in the a$$ hobbled back in. Some teams may decide after consulting with local health departments to not even have fans. Both having fans or deciding to push until fall are fine..should they choose so. 

• Fire 2

I think it's ridiculous for the conference to dictate spring game attendance.  In the mean time all the SEC and Big 12 schools will be making money by allowing the locally recommended restrictions.  Our society has been told what to do for long enough and I'm frankly fed up.  If people have concerns, they can stay home.  Those that aren't concerned should be allowed to go. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We have an incredibly young team on paper.  I'd like that to be broken down by projected starters.  I'm too lazy to look it up, but the D seems pretty solid with Jr/Sr guys and the O seems really young.  A lot of Fresh/Soph guys......A slow build takes a while.  With these numbers easier to see why some say a rebuild take 5 years.  

48 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I’m sure those numbers are due to the “free” year players got due to covid which makes it misleading.   Like Farms just mentioned,  it will be used as an excuse if the season goes to s#!t. 

Correct. It doesn’t exactly tell the whole story. 

1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

I’m sure those numbers are due to the “free” year players got due to covid which makes it misleading.   Like Farms just mentioned,  it will be used as an excuse if the season goes to s#!t. 

It shouldn't be used as an excuse as much as the last year or two.  But, it's a fact that these players haven't had the normal time in practice to develop.

• Plus1 2
18 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I think it's ridiculous for the conference to dictate spring game attendance.  In the mean time all the SEC and Big 12 schools will be making money by allowing the locally recommended restrictions.  Our society has been told what to do for long enough and I'm frankly fed up.  If people have concerns, they can stay home.  Those that aren't concerned should be allowed to go. 

Rather easy to understand the reasons.. really it boils down to one agenda.. Those allowing locally recommended restrictions are predominantly red states while those restricting attendance are predominantly blue states. Personally, I'm fine with either decision provided the athletes and staffs remain safe and healthy. Better safe than sorry right?

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to 2021 Spring Practice Notes