2021 Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

On 3/18/2021 at 1:58 AM, I am I said:

^^

meh, since May of 2020 after 5 weeks + of total lockdown and not letting my kids do squat and totally buying into the 15 days to slow the spread starting March 15 or so...I said F it.. I gotta work and travel, gotta provide and at least try.

But since May 22, 2020...

I’ve been to Miami/Islamorada 5 times, New York 4 times, Nashville 6 times, Dallas twice, Iowa once, Ft Collins a dozen times, Charlotte once, Chicago once , Seattle twice, and LA once along with Orlando and Las Vegas once each. 
like 33  flights/segments  to 11 different cities across less than a year. Spent over 68 days in several cities in less than a year. Which would’ve normally been 90-110 days in those cities. And I didn’t do Jack s#!t for like 40 days. I’m self employed and woulda lost my whole job and family income if I didn’t try. 
Very secluded in some parts and very partied and open in others. Always cautious,  always obeyed the “rules” wherever I was at. 

I’ve been tested 6 times and always negative. 

this has been bulls#!t since the beginning. Let the parts that want to be open and actually live, do it. The rest can go f#&% themselves. 

let localities decide. We need to be open and easy to pack Memorial full tilt. 

(I know personally over 35 people that had Covid, 2 died {both were 70+ and had bad, real bad health} but everyone else younger than 70 were just fine). 

Weird flex. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think the data has found that basically no transmission is occurring in outdoor areas where people are distanced and masked, so I don't really see what the issue is with allowing 30,000 or so people in Memorial with some common-sense measures about congregating/tailgating. That being said, I wouldn't fault anyone or any organization for not wanting to be responsible for an outbreak so close to the vaccine rollout, especially not over just a spring game.

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So because one location has seen cases climb, they want to make sure nobody can benefit by their lowering number of cases?  That is control, period.  The B1G officials are not health experts and have no business overriding local health experts.  The decisions they are making are not about the health and safety of the athletes and staff.  Those players and coaches are already going to be practicing together regardless of the number of people sitting 100's of feet away watching.    

I'd say control in the sense that they are trying to maintain competitive balance in the league.

Nebraska would have a monetary advantage if they were allowed to have spectators while Michigan wasn't.  

I think at this point, the B1G is past "health and safety" and has turned their focus to financials and what it means to the league.  IF the B1G says no spectators for anyone because of local guidelines in Minnesota or wherever, it isn't because they are trying to keep athletes safe.  It's because they don't want other schools to pocket cash that other schools won't have the opportunity to.  I don't agree with it, but I think that's where the conversations are now.

• Thanks 3
15 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'd say control in the sense that they are trying to maintain competitive balance in the league.

Nebraska would have a monetary advantage if they were allowed to have spectators while Michigan wasn't.  

I think at this point, the B1G is past "health and safety" and has turned their focus to financials and what it means to the league.  IF the B1G says no spectators for anyone because of local guidelines in Minnesota or wherever, it isn't because they are trying to keep athletes safe.  It's because they don't want other schools to pocket cash that other schools won't have the opportunity to.  I don't agree with it, but I think that's where the conversations are now.

My reaction to this is....screw them?  Why should the conference have control over that?  So, if something happens in Lincoln in a normal season and Nebraska has to greatly reduce the attendance like some structural defect is found in an old stadium, are they going to limit all the other schools attendance so we don't see a negative affect?  Hell no.

By this mentality, they should say that Northwestern's stadium can only hold 30,000, so everyone else should be limited to only 30,000 in their stadium.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

My reaction to this is....screw them?  Why should the conference have control over that?  So, if something happens in Lincoln in a normal season and Nebraska has to greatly reduce the attendance like some structural defect is found in an old stadium, are they going to limit all the other schools attendance so we don't see a negative affect?  Hell no.

By this mentality, they should say that Northwestern's stadium can only hold 30,000, so everyone else should be limited to only 30,000 in their stadium.

Good point!

There were pretty self-evident super-spreader events in the earliest days of the pandemic, traced to full stadium soccer games in Italy and Mexico, Mardi Gras in New Orleans, the CES Show in Las Vegas and a medical conference in Boston. A well-vaccinated population will get us back on track pretty soon, but the cautions up to this point aren't unfounded. I mean, we do have 550,000 dead people, even if some of us only know 2 of them personally. 

The Spring Game is a great place to work out a lot of kinks, and fans in the stands would be one of them.  

• Plus1 8
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Guessing we will hear a fan policy for athletics soon. Wonder if it will be 50% capacity across the board, or up to local officials. Good development to say the least. 

Thanks for posting.  I would be happy with any attendance- just get started on the right path.  As guy mentions above, would be a great time to work out some of the kinks.  

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Trying to remember the last time I thought the B1G actually made the right decision on something.  I'm struggling.  Glad they did it this time.

When they got rid of Legends and Leaders? Maybe? 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mavric changed the title to 2021 Spring Practice Notes