2021 Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

30 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Oh wow, the offense which hasnt been good in four years, still isnt good? What a shock!

While I agree with the sentiment, it's pretty normal that this time of year the defense is ahead of the offense.

Also, I think it's good that we have a good defense that is challenging the offense.  Hopefully, it challenges them enough to improve.

• Plus1 2
55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

While I agree with the sentiment, it's pretty normal that this time of year the defense is ahead of the offense.

Also, I think it's good that we have a good defense that is challenging the offense.  Hopefully, it challenges them enough to improve.

I agree. Ive just been duped into thinking this is the year for a decade now. Im not drinking the kool aid this offseason. Its better to be pleasantly surprised then be let down. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I agree. Ive just been duped into thinking this is the year for a decade now. Im not drinking the kool aid this offseason. Its better to be pleasantly surprised then be let down. 

I get it.  I tend to go the other direction.  If we suck again next year, at least I was excited for 6 months.

With what we returned on defense, I am not surprised they gave it to the offense. With all the production that has sieved from the offense over the Frost era, we will have to be propped up by the defense in 2021. We aren't going to be amazing, and to be good, we need our offense to be better and more consistent. If our offense doesn't elevate, we are in for another long year that at best resembles 2009 with way less excitement. 

• Plus1 1

For those attempting to forecast the upcoming season or assess progress, I have great news.  We are ranked 46th in the ESPN Power Index!  Essentially, this ratifies the success of the program.  No need to play games or analyze position groups.  Power Indices and SP+ are the goal now so we can all celebrate.

With this great news, let's ask the 24/7 analysts and reporters to go home.  We are a success story that requires no further scrutiny.  This was accomplished in only 3 years.  Man, woman and child this will put 'em in the aisle!

i was really disappointed to hear the comments on the performance of the offense. after all the hype and news, it still appears frost cannot get out of his own damn way!

what's it going to take? we hear the same old s#!t, "we're gonna get this fixed". "it's a culture issue". time is running out again, these guys on the O should be breathing fire, i don't even see smoke. it sure looks like playing .500 ball would be a miracle in accomplishment.  yeah, it was just one organized practice, it's early, the D is always ahead at this time of year, blah, blah, blah. really??  we have a coaching problem, just my thoughts. where is the progress and consistency?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

i was really disappointed to hear the comments on the performance of the offense. after all the hype and news, it still appears frost cannot get out of his own damn way!

what's it going to take? we hear the same old s#!t, "we're gonna get this fixed". "it's a culture issue". time is running out again, these guys on the O should be breathing fire, i don't even see smoke. it sure looks like playing .500 ball would be a miracle in accomplishment.  yeah, it was just one organized practice, it's early, the D is always ahead at this time of year, blah, blah, blah. really??  we have a coaching problem, just my thoughts. where is the progress and consistency?

If the offense dominated, would you be happy?  Or, would you be just as upset at the defense not being improved?

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This.  And I listened to the actual interview last night.  Beckton did say the defense got the better of the offense.  But he also said in the next sentence it was welcomed because the offense needed some humbling after beating up on the defense over the last few practices (paraphrased).

The fact is no one should be making judgements on "progress" because of one Tweet.  But, it's Spring in Nebraska...

• Plus1 3

On 4/22/2021 at 1:04 PM, J-MAGIC said:

Running out of patience with the cranks on here who continue to actively not read or understand posts about statistical rankings and choose instead to counterargue points no one is making and operate in bad faith. I have never seen a post suggesting things are all-good because of our SP or EPI or FPI ranking or that those don't ultimately need to translate into winning games. People are excited about them because they show things might not be as bad as internet rando crybabies on this board like to suggest.

I prefer to go by wins and losses but hey to each their own. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 3
  • 2 weeks later...