2021 Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

4 minutes ago, 307husker said:

I think we need to give up the idea of Manning being a meaningful presence for Nebraska.  

I mean, the signs are all there.  We've been "friend-zoned" and he's just stringing us along...

Sounds like he was out with a precautionary injury. But even without that I think he’s in for a 10-12 catch year IMO. 

I think it goes: 

Toure by a long mile then Falck & Martin as your lead guys. Betts as 4 .

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

Kind of scary that in year 4 they still seem to be struggling with basic form though.  I had to send the Tweet to our other coach in my building.  That looks exactly like the conversations we have with our 7th and 8th graders...

And it's the same drill that NFL Receivers do early in training camp... every year... no matter how many years a guy has been playing.  Smh.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean.... just because the coaches have been here four years doesn't mean that all the players have.   Or that those players have done much of that particular technique before.  Or any number of other scenarios.

But some people will find a way to spin pretty much anything as negatively as possible.

And not like we are deep with in game experience there.  Levi is the leading returning receiver with 13 touches.  And the RB room.......IMO, those in the clip with Frost are mostly "brand new" to NU.  No bowl practices, covid etc....I'll take all the time Frost wants to spend with them.

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

And it's the same drill that NFL Receivers do early in training camp... every year... no matter how many years a guy has been playing.  Smh.

I have no problem with the drill.  It's a great drill.  My comment was more that some seemed to be struggling with it going off of Frost's reaction.  Good news is that it looked like Frost was praising them when he saw improvement.  That's a good thing too.

2 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

It's sad that our coaches are drilling home the finer points of technique on fundamentals, something that every college football program at every level does in the first week of camp? Dear lord, some of you guys just look for stuff to get mad about.

I have no problem with the drill.  It's a great drill.  My comment was more that some seemed to be struggling with it going off of Frost's reaction.  Good news is that it looked like Frost was praising them when he saw improvement.  That's a good thing too.

3 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

About Stepp and it may be speculation from another board or an insider, but he was (mis)diagnosed one way at USC and had healed from that but when he got here they found what’s keeping him out now. He’s out for the spring but he’s def back by fall barring any set backs. 

The way I saw it phrased was "an injury he didn't know he had" so that would seem to fit that explanation.

1 hour ago, Decked said:

Sounds like he was out with a precautionary injury. But even without that I think he’s in for a 10-12 catch year IMO. 

I think it goes: 

Toure by a long mile then Falck & Martin as your lead guys. Betts as 4 .

I don't think Betts will be fourth.  Or at least not the fourth option.  I think he's the reason that Toure can be played in the slot.  They're counting on Betts to stretch the field from the outside - like in the video from practice today.  The other guys (Falck and Martin) may have more catches but Betts will get yards.  

I would go Toure then Martin and Betts with similar catches.  And I might have Brown ahead of Falck.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think Betts will be fourth.  Or at least not the fourth option.  I think he's the reason that Toure can be played in the slot.  They're counting on Betts to stretch the field from the outside - like in the video from practice today.  The other guys (Falck and Martin) may have more catches but Betts will get yards.  

I would go Toure then Martin and Betts with similar catches.  And I might have Brown ahead of Falck.

I stand firmly that falck will be second or third in catches this year. Sure hands and good blocker. 

10 minutes ago, Decked said:

I stand firmly that falck will be second or third in catches this year. Sure hands and good blocker. 

That would be great.  We'd be pretty deep at receiver.  

But Betts only had one fewer catch last year despite playing two fewer games and not really being in the mix for half the year.  Toure wasn't even here and Martin wasn't eligible for half the season.  And Falck didn't really distinguish himself then and now has a lot more competition.  I'd love for him to be a solid contributor but if he couldn't stand out last year I don't see that role increasing this year.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But Betts only had one fewer catch last year despite playing two fewer games and not really being in the mix for half the year.  Toure wasn't even here and Martin wasn't eligible for half the season.  And Falck didn't really distinguish himself then and now has a lot more competition.  I'd love for him to be a solid contributor but if he couldn't stand out last year I don't see that role increasing this year.

I’m just not as high on the WR core as others. I think they are still a year away. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

1 hour ago, Decked said:

I’m just not as high on the WR core as others. I think they are still a year away. 

HOLY SH!T. I didn't realize it was possible for two people to have a respectful back and forth with interesting points and no one getting snarky.

• Plus1 5