2021 Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

1 video, and some reactions from local media based on one practice. That's all it took to anoint Haarberg. 

That's impressive, even by our standards. 

We almost completely skipped the Smothers hype cycle. We're reaching critical mass.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
42 minutes ago, skers83 said:

All this talk of Smothers and Haarbeg. Someone says hold my beer. image.png.0711646177e4bb8c8cc305a2b466243b.png 

Say hello to the new Vedral - not quite top-tier in terms of natural talent & athleticism, but knows what he's supposed to be doing on a given play better than anyone but Martinez (which makes sense considering he's been around longer than Smothers or Haarberg).

20 minutes ago, Toe said:

Say hello to the new Vedral - not quite top-tier in terms of natural talent & athleticism, but knows what he's supposed to be doing on a given play better than anyone but Martinez (which makes sense considering he's been around longer than Smothers or Haarberg).

So he'll be playing for Rutgers when we play them again in 2022.  :D

15 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I see Smothers going the way of McCaffrey.... The media, granted they did see much, were clearly not impressed from what they've said on 1620 appearances, and local podcasts.

Unlike McCaffrey, Smothers throws a nice ball.  He doesn't have a strong arm, but neither did Milton.  I took in some of those UCF practices Frost's last season, I promise you these same individuals would not have been impressed w/Milton during 7 on 7's either.  If you watch his highlights from that season, you'll see him lofting balls into open spaces.  I doubt he had more than a couple completions as deep as Smothers' under thrown passes traveled in the air all season.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, floridacorn said:

Unlike McCaffrey, Smothers throws a nice ball.  He doesn't have a strong arm, but neither did Milton.  I took in some of those UCF practices Frost's last season, I promise you these same individuals would not have been impressed w/Milton during 7 on 7's either.  If you watch his highlights from that season, you'll see him lofting balls into open spaces.  I doubt he had more than a couple completions as deep as Smothers' under thrown passes traveled in the air all season.  

100 percent. I'm not actually worried about Smothers and this offense doesn't need a bomber. This is peak fan/media bologna. He's fine and I'm excited to see him play.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't know.  I think our overall team looks pretty slow in these videos...

Interesting that Frost's throwing motion is much looser than when he played and all the QB's have more condensed mechanics similar to him when he played.  

At least physically, Yant does not look like a true freshman, mid-year enrollee, walk-on.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, floridacorn said:

Interesting that Frost's throwing motion is much looser than when he played and all the QB's have more condensed mechanics similar to him when he played.  

At least physically, Yant does not look like a true freshman, mid-year enrollee, walk-on.  

He was here last year, so technically still a true freshman but normally would be a redshirt freshman. Either way I agree, he's a load and was a steal as a walk-on. And he has a chance to seize a role with Stepp out. 

Ervin looks bigger than I expected too - he gets the spring ball benefits that Morrison and Scott didn't have last year. Really curious how that all shakes out.

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

That's because he's been working to improve his stroke with Verdu...

• Haha 2