2021 Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

7 hours ago, floridacorn said:

Unlike McCaffrey, Smothers throws a nice ball.  He doesn't have a strong arm, but neither did Milton.  I took in some of those UCF practices Frost's last season, I promise you these same individuals would not have been impressed w/Milton during 7 on 7's either.  If you watch his highlights from that season, you'll see him lofting balls into open spaces.  I doubt he had more than a couple completions as deep as Smothers' under thrown passes traveled in the air all season.  

More than one media member said Smothers had a long way to go in the passing game, and last year proved that throwing the ball down field is important in this Nebraska offense. Martinez set the single season completion percentage record.... Because all he threw were passes under ten yards. If Smothers isn't able to push the ball down field, the chances of him being successful at Nebraska is minimal. If he can, he's probably got a chance to be pretty good.

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

He shared these thoughts in response to a question about how he ranked Nebraska's talent and coaches here. 

I said the same thing in 2018 as the season evaporated (I need to still remind myself of that).  Dudes came into the B1G after going undefeated in year 2 at UCF, coach of the year and the world was his.  The staff was only 2 years in.  Going against some really, really good coaches and staffs.....We have all witnessed the lack of experience of this staff.  This season seems like the staff is doing not just the "right things", but the "things" successful programs do.  I like it

12 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Haarberg as the backup worries me. Adrian will get hurt this season, at some point, always does. It happens in a spread offense. Then we're back to starting a C1 true freshman at QB. Not that Smothers would be that much better from an experience standpoint. 

Why do you have more confidence in Smothers than Haarberg?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why do you have more confidence in Smothers than Haarberg?

It's hard to have a ton of confidence in either since they're both inexperienced, but Smothers has had a year (albeit a disjointed one) to learn the offense and acclimate to the speed. Also played with and against a lot more D1 athletes in high school than Haarberg, so a smaller leap to start with.

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's hard to have a ton of confidence in either since they're both inexperienced, but Smothers has had a year (albeit a disjointed one) to learn the offense and acclimate to the speed. Also played with and against a lot more D1 athletes in high school than Haarberg, so a smaller leap to start with.

Plus, with Haarberg going up against less than stellar-C1 athletes in high school, I think there would be more of a general learning curve from his high school time to D1.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Plus, with Haarberg going up against less than stellar-C1 athletes in high school, I think there would be more of a general learning curve from his high school time to D1.

If you follow most posts here you know that everyone that went to a C-1 HS benched 350, runs a 4.4 40 and squats 550.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

Take it for what it's worth, the little bit I get from the inside this spring is saying it's a really different feel, and a lot harder competition wise, than the past few years.  Some real optimism inside the program that doesn't feel like a team coming off a few bad seasons.  They believe they can be very good.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1