2021 Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

Since everyone else is talking COVID, don’t set your expectations of the vaccines to be too high.  Their early trial measures of “efficacy” (which you saw trumpeted on CNBC as 94%, 95%, etc.) was based on measuring “reduction of symptoms” in isolation. There was no measurement of the vaccine candidates’ ability to halt infection or transmission. Based on that definition of “efficacy”, there should be no expectation that mass vaccination will result in any immediate individual or herd immunity.  Only that as people are infected that their symptoms will be lessened (but by how much is unclear and will likely vary by vaccine injected).  On the contrary there are several new studies on Invermectin which look exceedingly promising which could be used late when advanced symptoms develop  (unlike Hydroxychloroquine which needs to be used early) and could save individuals as they are hospitalized which means they need a lot les a doses to treat the people most urgently in need.  Bottom Line is if we see Emergency Authorizations on Invermectin (as well as some others which are still being assessed), that may allow us a greater ability to reduce lockdowns and restrictions than dependency on the current vaccine candidates alone.  The last component is we need all authorities to be promoting and funding Vitamin D supplementation.  There was a study all the way back in July that indicated that 95% of serious cases which ended up in ICU’s were severely Vitamin D deficient.  If they can target long term care home and senior citizens in particular, it could be a game changer all on its own.  Fingers crossed for all our sakes.  Happy New Year all! 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

The Big Ten doesn't have control over what Nebraska will do for the spring game attendance. I'm 100% confident the school will do everything possible to fill that stadium up as much as possible for the spring game. The other positive of doing the spring game in May is that you aren't having to deal with testing season for high school kids. 

Never before have I been looking forward to spring football across as the nation as I am this year. I sure hope things are back to normal for the 2021 spring practices and season. 

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

THIS IS NOT A COVID THREAD

But they've said vaccines should be fully available to the general public by April, so the May 1 date seems strategic. I like it. 

Speaking of Covid once everyone over 75 is vaccinated Memorial Stadium will be back to full capacity.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
On 1/1/2021 at 9:14 AM, uberism said:

The Big Ten doesn't have control over what Nebraska will do for the spring game attendance. I'm 100% confident the school will do everything possible to fill that stadium up as much as possible for the spring game.

Like I said, the B1G’s involvement is not really relevant unless UNL is extremely stupid. UNL will restrict #s if necessary.

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

• Mavric changed the title to 2021 Spring Practice Notes