SIGNED - WR Victor Jones

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

6 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Jones commit?

• Nebraska
    • Maryland
    • Kentucky

This poll is closed to new votes

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, Omaha High School Football liked the tweet.

Fact is, fans like this idiot hurt the program.

No disrespect but I'm not sure how much that has to do with Woods deciding on completely eliminating Nebraska. Hes long known and heard how irrational some of our fans can be so acting like its new is a bit disingenuous imo. I feel by taking the time to tweet that on another kids post, that chose to come to Nebraska for more substantial things like connection with the staff, potential fit in the offense, was him justifying leaving Nebraska in the cold. He doesn't owe anyone of us an explanation why he doesn't want to go to Nebraska but felt the need to go out of his way to do so. Really what hurts the program far more than a few rouge fans is 12-20 and how that makes it easier for other schools to poach local talent.

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

No disrespect but I'm not sure how much that has to do with Woods deciding on completely eliminating Nebraska. Hes long known and heard how irrational some of our fans can be so acting like its new is a bit disingenuous imo. I feel by taking the time to tweet that on another kids post, that chose to come to Nebraska for more substantial things like connection with the staff, potential fit in the offense, was him justifying leaving Nebraska in the cold. He doesn't owe anyone of us an explanation why he doesn't want to go to Nebraska but felt the need to go out of his way to do so. Really what hurts the program far more than a few rouge fans is 12-20 and how that makes it easier for other schools to poach local talent.

His tweet didn’t say it was new.  

And, I agree that there’s probably more issues that made him not want to come here. But, my post was more about how Omaha High School Football liked the tweet. I see that as a sign of bigger issues than one player saying something.  

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

His tweet didn’t say it was new.  

And, I agree that there’s probably more issues that made him not want to come here. But, my post was more about how Omaha High School Football liked the tweet. I see that as a sign of bigger issues than one player saying something.  

And my point is DeShawn knew he'd catch some flack from some idiots the moment he left Nebraska off his list but why comment on another kids post? Very passive aggressive.

If these kids are not choosing Nebraska because of it fans then there is something wrong. I should've been more specific, but we don't know who owns that account and their relationship with Woods. By no means is it an official Twitter page of OPS athletics I suspect there is some bias there and should be taken with a healthy grain of salt.

My guess is at one point he wanted to go to nebraska but was talked out of it to look beyond, and that is between he and his family. As an Omahan myself, we are a bit of a front running bunch. Nebraska is not in trend right now and it's cool to look elsewhere if you are a metro kid. So putting some wins together will make it harder for them to say no.

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

As an Omahan myself, we are a bit of a front running bunch. Nebraska is not in trend right now and it's cool to look elsewhere if you are a metro kid. So putting some wins together will make it harder for them to say no.

I live in Omaha too, and agree completely with this.  I'll also raise you cultural differences. 

Omaha is a different animal than Kearney or Cozad.  I grew up in a small town and it was common to hear negative things about Omaha.  This is a two way street.  There are many people in Omaha that don't feel like they are living in the same world as rural Nebraskans, let alone state.  I live in Omaha, west of 180th.  And even I feel out of place out of place when I go visit my parents in small-town NE.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I live in Omaha too, and agree completely with this.  I'll also raise you cultural differences. 

Omaha is a different animal than Kearney or Cozad.  I grew up in a small town and it was common to hear negative things about Omaha.  This is a two way street.  There are many people in Omaha that don't feel like they are living in the same world as rural Nebraskans, let alone state.  I live in Omaha, west of 180th.  And even I feel out of place out of place when I go visit my parents in small-town NE.  

I haven't lived in Omaha (or Nebraska) in years but things are still the same; Born and raised. We treat the rest of the state like its another country. It's been going on for decades before me. I was guilty of it too but it wasn't until I left that the outside world sees Omaha all in the same vain as Nebraska. But you'll get larger metropolitan areas around the country that have a different mindset than the greater state population. I think you're also more inclined to see city kids leave their area wherever they are around the country.

For comparison Saint Louis kids has a bunch of kids that don't go to Misery. Wisconsin even loses Milwaukee kids to other schools but they clean up on all of their kids from all of their smaller towns(which they have more than Nebraska does but it's beside the point).

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

you mean troll accounts from other fans who pretend to be NU fans? 

Damn...it's almost like that was all the justification needed to scream to people why folks decided the local program wasn't going to be their choice...

1 minute ago, Treand3 said:

I haven't lived in Omaha (or Nebraska) in years but things are still the same; Born and raised. We treat the rest of the state like its another country. It's been going on for decades before me. I was guilty of it too but it wasn't until I left that the outside world sees Omaha all in the same vain as Nebraska.

Was born in, but raised outside of Nebraska. It was hard to come across someone who wasn’t a hater - football or general - that I couldn’t wait to move away from that state when I was growing up. Then I move back to Omaha and the people I would meet were like “why would you move to Omaha,” - it’s an interesting self-loathing complex. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Was born in, but raised outside of Nebraska. It was hard to come across someone who wasn’t a hater - football or general - that I couldn’t wait to move away from that state when I was growing up. Then I move back to Omaha and the people I would meet were like “why would you move to Omaha,” - it’s an interesting self-loathing complex. 

Agreed haters come in all walks of life. I personally am not moving back to the Midwest/Heartland ever again, but I never knock anyone that does. You can be in such a hurry to leave what you know but then you realize how important where you came from is. I personally think someone got into Woods' head and he's convincing himself completely turning his back on NU is the right thing to do.

That said I'm excited for Jones and think he'll bring a size and speed element where it won't matter which B1G DB grabs and clutches onto him mid route.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Treand3 said:

And my point is DeShawn knew he'd catch some flack from some idiots the moment he left Nebraska off his list but why comment on another kids post? Very passive aggressive.

If these kids are not choosing Nebraska because of it fans then there is something wrong. I should've been more specific, but we don't know who owns that account and their relationship with Woods. By no means is it an official Twitter page of OPS athletics I suspect there is some bias there and should be taken with a healthy grain of salt.

My guess is at one point he wanted to go to nebraska but was talked out of it to look beyond, and that is between he and his family. As an Omahan myself, we are a bit of a front running bunch. Nebraska is not in trend right now and it's cool to look elsewhere if you are a metro kid. So putting some wins together will make it harder for them to say no.

Believe me, I think Wood's tweet was uncalled for.  You're leaving the state to play.  No need to tweet at our recruits (or tweets you know they will see) talking bad about the fans or program.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Believe me, I think Wood's tweet was uncalled for.  You're leaving the state to play.  No need to tweet at our recruits (or tweets you know they will see) talking bad about the fans or program.

That was my only issue with what he did. Not that he will chose another school, if that's what he truly wants to do. If you want to experience something different, by all means do so and live your life. You don't have doctor up excuses why you want to do something else that alienates a large number of fans and burns bridges in the process. Many will actually respect you for not dragging things along.

• Fire 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

247: Sunshine State Speed

Verified Numbers: 10.86 in the 100-meter dash, 22.06 in the 100-meter dash, mid 4.6 in the 40-yard dash

247Sports Ranking: No. 78 wide receiver in the country

Orlando Olympia wide receiver Victor Jones Jr. went sub 11 in the 100-meter dash twice as a junior. Most high school sprinters would be happy to break 11 just one, but Jones has eyes on the aforementioned Chris Johnson's school-record 10.61, which is why he isn't planning to enroll early at Nebraska and instead finish out his track career next spring. On the football field, Jones has proven to be a difficult cover. Last fall, he caught 33 passes for 663 yards and eight touchdowns in eight games. He also scored twice last week in a spring game at Orlando Evans.

• 1 month later...
  • Mavric changed the title to SIGNED - WR Victor Jones