The Angry Violent Left

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This is all in your head, but is actually exactly what you do when you pick a single data point at the end of a graph. Just because you know you are guilty of it doesn't mean you should project it onto the rest of the people posting.

You are the one arguing only trends matter so are you saying the rise in hate crimes should be attributed to Obama?

8 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

You are the one arguing only trends matter so are you saying the rise in hate crimes should be attributed to Obama?

I haven't looked at the data or graph on that. I haven't said either way. I don't care what it is though, I'm not in the habit of shopping off the end of the graph to trick people into believing something or saying a max is super important just because it confirms a bias. I will however use logic to argue why I think something has increased or decreased. That's what you've done, over and over and over and over. If you're suddenly paying attention to trends, that's good. But it should work the same way, not flip flop back and forth depending on which way supports Trump. On the other hand I've argued that Trump has done a good job continuing some trends that were started several years ago.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

He jumped to conclusions as was often the case, often in situations involving the police. He also did this with some of the shooting that occurred. I still remember where I was when he went on a gun tirade within an hour or two after an Oregon school shooting, prior to many family members even being notified if their loved ones were injured, and prior to even knowing who the shooter was, whether he had the gun legally, etc...  Yet with all his focus on gun control, he rarely if ever made an attempt to acknowledge and try to address the horrific gun violence in Chicago. That is his home town and state and gun laws there are stronger than many cities, and he chose to ignore the black on black crime as it did not fit the narrative he was trying to push. 

A couple niggles:

The conclusions Obama "jumped to" were typically correct.

He "attacked" the cops in Cambridge for arresting Henry Louis Gates trying to get into his own home, the officers apparently having trouble believing a Harvard Professor was black. Here's what Obama actually said when the press asked America's new first black president about the incident:  "I don't know, not having been there and not seeing all the facts, what role race played in that. But I think it's fair to say, number one, any of us would be pretty angry; number two, that the Cambridge police acted stupidly in arresting somebody when there was already proof that they were in their own home, and, number three, what I think we know separate and apart from this incident is that there's a long history in this country of African Americans and Latinos being stopped by law enforcement disproportionately." 

Nothing untrue here. And something we really did need to talk about. How you could find this more divisive than the current President defending the Confederacy just blows my mind. When Obama took heat for the "acted stupidly" comment, he invited all parties to the White House for a beer, where it was agreed that all parties could have handled the situation better.

Nobody was killed in that case. And the cases got much, much worse. Not because there was an increase in bad cop behavior, but because cell phone cameras were now capturing the horrific incidents blacks have been enduring for years. 

Obama often addressed the issue of gun violence in Chicago. Many black leaders addressed gun violence in Chicago. Many continue to do so. Black on Black violence fits directly into the Black Lives Matter narrative, given that young black men do not value their own lives, figuring they will be dead or in jail regardless, a hopelessness not without statistical evidence. Whenever commentators want to deflect from a large and undeniable discrepancy in how blacks are treated under the same laws, they bring up "Chicago." It's a buzzword and it's bulls#!t. 

And again, if you're clutching your pearls about how Barack Obama jumped to conclusions, how can you possibly defend the all-hours Tweets and unfounded bleatings of the constant embarrassment you helped put in the White House?

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I haven't looked at the data or graph on that. I haven't said either way. I don't care what it is though, I'm not in the habit of shopping off the end of the graph to trick people into believing something or saying a max is super important just because it confirms a bias. I will however use logic to argue why I think something has increased or decreased. That's what you've done, over and over and over and over. If you're suddenly paying attention to trends, that's good. But it should work the same way, not flip flop back and forth depending on which way supports Trump. On the other hand I've argued that Trump has done a good job continuing some trends that were started several years ago.

I agree with you that not all data examples are the same. In the case of the economic improvements, there are many things Trump has done that Obama did not do...lowering taxes including on businesses which encourages investment in US companies and helps spur greater GDP growth, drastically reducing regs which again encourages businesses to grow, and leveling the trade practices which helps the manufacturing sector.  This is an example where specific policies can be attributed to the improved economic figures. Now had Obama implemented those actions and Trump just sustained them, the trend description would fit.

6 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree with you that not all data examples are the same. In the case of the economic improvements, there are many things Trump has done that Obama did not do...lowering taxes including on businesses which encourages investment in US companies and helps spur greater GDP growth, drastically reducing regs which again encourages businesses to grow, and leveling the trade practices which helps the manufacturing sector.  This is an example where specific policies can be attributed to the improved economic figures. Now had Obama implemented those actions and Trump just sustained them, the trend description would fit.

I mean... I can meet you halfway on this.

But it's going to take a while to see the long-term effects of this stuff. Most economists I've read think the tax cuts will spur a decent amount of short-term growth, but the long-term outlook is going to take a while to play out. It remains to be seen whether it will produce meaningful long-term growth or screw the pooch in the long run.

Trump inherited a pretty good situation and has a chance to make it even better. Everyone should be able to agree on this. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

I mean... I can meet you halfway on this.

But it's going to take a while to see the long-term effects of this stuff. Most economists I've read think the tax cuts will spur a decent amount of short-term growth, but the long-term outlook is going to take a while to play out. It remains to be seen whether it will produce meaningful long-term growth or screw the pooch in the long run.

Trump inherited a pretty good situation and has a chance to make it even better. Everyone should be able to agree on this. 

Sure I have never said aspects of the economy, specifically unemployment, were not improving. There was just a lot of unleashed potential waiting for the reduction in business taxes and regulations. Now with GDP growth soaring the Fed has raised int. rates many times to curb inflation, but I worry they may have raised them one too many times. We shall see. 

42 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Nope, that's not what I'm saying:

image.png.2e3e3ec2255b63eeec2cb27264bfd865.png

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime

This is FBI data, I don't know how they differ from other agencies that keep track of this stuff.

Is anyone here going to blame Bush for the uptick in 2001 or are we going to think rationally?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Near as I can tell, Obama simply had the nerve to be black.

Sycophantism is cute at first, but gets old quickly. 

Near as I can tell, electing an unqualified community organizer as President largely because he’s black was such a miserable failure it likely won’t happen again. Silver lining I guess.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:54 AM, HuskerNation1 said:

One thing that should concern all Americans is the growing anger from the Left that is promoting or resorting to violence since Trump was elected.  I fully understand Trump used fiery rhetoric at rallies in 2016 and condemn those too, but the trend since Trumps election against Republicans is prevalent and downright scary. 

1. June 14 2017-A Progressive maniac opens fire at a GOP baseball practice which could have killed all Republican members there had the Capitol Police not been present, including my local Congressman who is a family friend.

2. November 4, 2017-A neighbor who sympathizes with the left assaulted Rand Paul breaking his ribs among other injuries he suffered. 

3. June 2018-Democrat Maxine Waters calls on Liberals to not allow Republicans to eat or sleep and stated "If you see anybody from the Cabinet in a restsurant, dept store, or gas station, get out and create a crowd and push back on them and tell them they are not welcome anymore, anywhere."

4. June 2018-Sarah Sanders told to leave restaurant where she and family were enjoying a meal.

5. July 2018-Cory Booker delivers speech encouraging crowd to "Get up in the face" of Congress officials they dont agree with.

6. Mitch McConell chased out of restaurant by angry left mob.

7. GOP House Candidate Rudy Peters attacked by man with switchblade by man screaming "Fu*k Trump."

8. Ted Cruz and wife chased out of restaurant by angry left mob.

9. October 2018-Hillary Clinton promotes the lack of civility on the Left and states that civility can start again onky if the Dems take control. In other words its ok for Progressives to continue to be uncivil if they are not in power.

10. October 2018-Former Obama Atty General states that, "when the opposition goes low, we kick them."

This is just a short list and does not include the over the top tactics we have seen from some comedians and members of Hollywood as well as in recent weeks in DC with the Kavanugh hearings. We have also seen Antifa and other left wing radical groups use their tactics to shut down free speech by Conservative voices like Ben Shapiro and others. I am fully supportive of peaceful protests in our nation but it appears that key voices in the left are pushing for intimidation and confrontation instead of peaceful protests. I am in full agreement with Rand Paul that somebody is going to get seriously injured or killed if this trend continues....and he is speaking from experience.

What a joke of a post and topic.  :laughpound

27 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Nope, that's not what I'm saying:

image.png.2e3e3ec2255b63eeec2cb27264bfd865.png

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime

This is FBI data, I don't know how they differ from other agencies that keep track of this stuff.

Is anyone here going to blame Bush for the uptick in 2001 or are we going to think rationally?

I shared above that trends can matter but its not as simple as saying they all can mean the same thing. I just shared an example above about how a rational person cannot claim the current great economic numbers are simply because of a trend that started under Obama, and I explained specific policies Trump has enacted that Obama did not that have resulted in some specific economic improvements.  Make sense now?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Very naive to suggest that me being a white man means I would not support a minority or female. My first choice in 2016 was Carly Fiorina...not a white man. When she bowed out I voted for Marco Rubio, not a white man either. I would have been fine with Herman Cain or other minorities in prior years. Throwing out race as a reason Obama failed is a cop out.

I made no assumptions of your race or republican presidential preference but thanks for playing

55 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Near as I can tell, electing an unqualified community organizer as President largely because he’s black was such a miserable failure it likely won’t happen again. Silver lining I guess.

Last time I checked he was a United States Senator with a law degree from Harvard who taught constitutional law at an American University. He was a little more than a black community organizer.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Please clarify then what white people you felt were mad that a black man was POTUS? White Democrats? Just trying to gauge where you were headed with that comment.

This is EXACTLY the kind of bull**** that is so prevalent on the internet.

Posters like @HuskerNation1 blithely and selectively "don't remember" the one million plus examples on social media where white conservatives called Obama the N word, referred to him as an ape, and/or dehumanized him. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Man, if electing an unqualified community organizer as President largely because he's black was such a miserable failure, we sure corrected it by electing an unqualified celebrity as President.

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1