Interesting offensive numbers for NU 2020

Decent article from Hail Varsity breaking down our offensive scoring woes. Does some good comparisons from Frost's 3 years at NU.  And it's not good.  One of my least favorite stats.....

23 points per game this year.....But it continues a decline from Frost’s first year, when the team averaged 30 points, and it’s the worst season-long mark for a Husker team since 1969. This was one craptastic offense.....With all that OL experience.  year 3 with AM.....WR?....RB?.....Play calling?.......

Article here:

https://hailvarsity.com/football/defining-numbers-of-nebraskas-2020-season-an-unprecedented-scoring-struggle/

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, lo country said:

Decent article from Hail Varsity breaking down our offensive scoring woes. Does some good comparisons from Frost's 3 years at NU.  And it's not good.  One of my least favorite stats.....

23 points per game this year.....But it continues a decline from Frost’s first year, when the team averaged 30 points, and it’s the worst season-long mark for a Husker team since 1969. This was one craptastic offense.....With all that OL experience.  year 3 with AM.....WR?....RB?.....Play calling?.......

Article here:

https://hailvarsity.com/football/defining-numbers-of-nebraskas-2020-season-an-unprecedented-scoring-struggle/

"All that OL experience" is not really where we are as an OL.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

Really?  They were alleged to be the strength of the team....Farniok moving to his "natural" position....I'd agree we did not live up to the pre-season hype at all.

We had 3 underclassmen on the line, one of whom was a converted sophomore center in his second year at the position.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

We had 3 underclassmen on the line, one of whom was a converted sophomore center in his second year at the position.

Per all pre-season talk, that OL was to be a strength.  They were not.  We brought in a lot of youth as the vets were getting passed over.  Hoping it pays off next year.  Hard to disagree with the info in the article.  We struggled.  For a variety of reasons.  Just hoping it can get corrected.  Off season will be interesting to watch.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, lo country said:

Per all pre-season talk, that OL was to be a strength.  They were not.  We brought in a lot of youth as the vets were getting passed over.  Hoping it pays off next year.  Hard to disagree with the info in the article.  We struggled.  For a variety of reasons.  Just hoping it can get corrected.  Off season will be interesting to watch.

Farniok underperformed.

Piper basically unseated an upperclassmen.

Austin challenged Jaime's to be all B1G.  He wasn't.

So Frost keeps bringing in young guys to unseat these upperclassmen.

Wilson is in the portal became of it 

Maybe Mike Riley can help him find a landing spot?

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, lo country said:

Idk I seem to remember everyone hoping the young guys could contribute early because the upperclassmen weren't cutting it.

The young guys are talented, they're just young in one of the best legues.

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, lo country said:

Per all pre-season talk, that OL was to be a strength.

Really? All I remember hearing was that they should be improved be improved after being probably the weakest group on the team last year. I certainly don't remember anyone saying they would be a strength of this team.

Let’s see.  We were at or near the bottom of the FBS in turnovers, penalties and field position.  Why again did we only win 3 games?   

I sure hope those are 1,2 and 3 on the Things to Focus On list for the spring.  

It would be contrary to what he’s said he’s done in the past, but it wouldn’t hurt to have Mr Moos observe some more practices too, IMO.  

• Plus1 2

Don't know what to say....

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Really? All I remember hearing was that they should be improved be improved after being probably the weakest group on the team last year. I certainly don't remember anyone saying they would be a strength of this team.

Outlook for 2020 

This season Nebraska is looking to have a strong offensive line. Not only is there a lot of experience coming back, but t many younger players have shown a lot of potential to make an impact this fall. 

The Huskers are also tweaking their line up from last season. Matt Farniok is moving to right guard after starting at right tackle for the last two seasons. This will free up the right tackle spot for a younger player to come in, presumably Bryce Benhart. Flanking the line on the other side will be another senior veteran Brendan Jaimes. 

Benhart was a highly touted 2019 recruit and impressed coaches last season. Ethan Piper also made a name for himself with the coaches this spring. True freshman Turner Corcoran is also expected to contribute to the offensive line this year. 

The 2020 Nebraska offensive line is full of experience, but also has more depth than they’ve had in years. Expect good things from this group this year. 

Possibly more. First one I found.  Bottomline, our O sucked this year.  Were there excuses? yep, just like 2018 and 2019.  Looking forward to what they will be next year.  There will be a lot unless some adjustments are made.......

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Some good stuff.  I really hope we build on the scheme against Rutgers....Mills with 25 totes....his most since 2019 against Wisky.  Both with great rushing totals.  Ins spite of the success in certain areas, we were still unable to turn the corner and beat the JV Gophers and Illinois.  Need to clean up the mistakes and mental lapses.  ST play gets average, I honestly believe that's worth 2-3 wins.  Just stopping a return for a TD would have helped last year and this....

We need to find a way to score points OR the D has to continue on it's current trajectory and start getting more TO's and really start simply suffocating teams.  Instead of playing D to "compliment the O", create an O to compliment the D.  Ball control, PA passing, power run etc....I know you hate this, but quit being "cute" and using finesse (Hickman at the goal line is a perfect example). Line up and go hat on hat.  Let the traps, counters be your bread and butter.  I  like the read option.  Just not the horizontal stuff.  If Austin is back (he's an easy scapegoat, but there is a lot to go around on the O),let him be the run game coordinator. Let his OL go straight ahead like he had mentioned in the spring. Use some of the old Husker stuff as a staple, not as a gimmick.  I said this spring that I was most excited to see his input in the run game. TBH IMHO, he had none.

We truly look so close (with info you provided) and then look so far away (above article).....No idea what is the easy fix.  I've given up on a quick fix.