***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2021***

53 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Lets not forget Chris Kolarevic, the ILB transfer from Northern Iowa. He might have something to say.

Jojo, Kolarevic, Reimer, Heinrich, Tannor,  Nelson, & Payne + Honas (?). Add in some guys with a year of S&C in Cooper, Mauga-Clements, & Butler...gonna be interesting to see what happens there. Linebacker core is getting better. Still need a pass rusher or two. 

• Plus1 3
33 minutes ago, Decked said:

Jojo, Kolarevic, Reimer, Heinrich, Tannor,  Nelson, & Payne + Honas (?). Add in some guys with a year of S&C in Cooper, Mauga-Clements, & Butler...gonna be interesting to see what happens there. Linebacker core is getting better. Still need a pass rusher or two. 

Always room to improve.  But, that's the best group of LBs as a whole that we have had in a very long time.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Always room to improve.  But, that's the best group of LBs as a whole that we have had in a very long time.

Seems like on defense that the average talent among the 11 starters is rising. I’m excited about Rogers, Daniels, & Ty Rob. Even better with Stille. I would venture to call CTB as on the breakout of elite status. Need at least two pass rushers. 

5 minutes ago, Decked said:

Seems like on defense that the average talent among the 11 starters is rising. I’m excited about Rogers, Daniels, & Ty Rob. Even better with Stille. I would venture to call CTB as on the breakout of elite status. Need at least two pass rushers. 

We desperately need players like CTB and JoJo to have years like this not just in their last year, but in the year or two before they leave......and continue to improve.  Make the younger players watch you and learn and fight to get on the field.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
16 hours ago, Decked said:

I'm really excited to see how Payne can improve as a pass rusher. He had some really impressive moves in the last few games. 

22 hours ago, Decked said:

This is what's been driving me batty the last few years. I see some good LB recruits, but it's like they're mostly guys we're recruiting to be ILBs - not pass rushers.

On 1/2/2021 at 7:46 PM, Decked said:

I wonder if Gunnerson can pass rush

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Toe said:

This is what's been driving me batty the last few years. I see some good LB recruits, but it's like they're mostly guys we're recruiting to be ILBs - not pass rushers.

We had three legit pass-rushers committed at some point and were close on a couple others.  But when other schools with more on-field success come calling, it's hard to hold on to them.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

We had three legit pass-rushers committed at some point and were close on a couple others.  But when other schools with more on-field success come calling, it's hard to hold on to them.

Part of this issue is if we realize that the OLB's we have aren't able to pass rush when we need them to, then swap up the personnel and plan of attack.

Add a DL to bull rush their guard in an effort to more quickly collapse the pocket and deny the opposing QB the ability to step into his throw.

Add an extra DB in tighten up your zone coverage (hello crossing routes?) or to double up the key receiver.

We can't just stay in the same personnel grouping because of some type of orthodoxy to that alignment and then blame lack of bodies.

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

It's a vicious circle.  We would win more with a good pass rusher.  Pass rushers don't want to come here because we aren't winning more.  We would win more with a good pass rusher.....and on and on and on....