***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2021***

7 minutes ago, Big Red Viking said:

What's his story...was he hurt this year ?  Did he get playing time ?

Yeah that was weird, I had him pegged for a small role this year and I don't believe he played at all. He did have hip surgery instead of a senior year of high school IIRC though, and although there were supposed to be no long term concerns I don't know what his short term timetable was like. Also, he missed all or most of his senior year so probably not fully up to speed. But he at least has the size to be a credible pass rusher, and was supposed to be pretty athletic. Hoping he takes a big leap whatever the obstacle was this year. The staff was very excited about him as a recruit from what I remember. 

EDIT: Didn't realize the stats above were talking about Gunnerson, so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah that was weird, I had him pegged for a small role this year and I don't believe he played at all. He did have hip surgery instead of a senior year of high school IIRC though, and although there were supposed to be no long term concerns I don't know what his short term timetable was like. Also, he missed all or most of his senior year so probably not fully up to speed. But he at least has the size to be a credible pass rusher, and was supposed to be pretty athletic. Hoping he takes a big leap whatever the obstacle was this year. The staff was very excited about him as a recruit from what I remember. 

EDIT: I guess it was his Junior year he missed, so probably not that injury still. 

Messed up the edit and posted again, my bad. 

ESPN Football Power Index (FPI)

2017: 70

2018: 57

2019: 47

2020: 43

Sagarin rankings

2017: 75

2018: 54

2019: 49

2020: 42

Consistently heading in the right direction, if slower than any of us would like...

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I don't want to be a downer because I do think Kolarevic can be solid, and that Falck is probably better than he got a chance to show. But reminds me a lot of the "he had 140 yards against Kansas State" argument for Falck, which I totally bought. Sometimes guys who are just guys rack up yards or tackles - like your ILBs better have a lot of tackles against Iowa. But again, I am optimistic for his future - just a little less eager to buy individual game stats as proof of future performance. 

I've thought some about this the last couple days and despite all the crap we've given him, Chins has steadily improved the D year over year. They're no longer the reason we're not competing like we should. The special teams is atrocious and Scott's offense is stuck in the mud. 

It's funny to me how the one guy we were so sure didn't deserve to be here has steadily improved his side of the ball towards respectability. If we continue trending like we've been could a top 30 unit be out of the question next year? It would be a huge boon if we got Stille back for another year.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I've thought some about this the last couple days and despite all the crap we've given him, Chins has steadily improved the D year over year. They're no longer the reason we're not competing like we should. The special teams is atrocious and Scott's offense is stuck in the mud. 

It's funny to me how the one guy we were so sure didn't deserve to be here has steadily improved his side of the ball towards respectability. If we continue trending like we've been could a top 30 unit be out of the question next year? It would be a huge boon if we got Stille back for another year.

Completely agree on Chins. I do still wish he would blitz or design pressure more often. His defense still has some room left for improvement on 3rd down as well. But overall he has improved the defense. 

I've been wondering if Frost may have curtailed his fast pace on offense (and slowed down time between snaps a bit) because Frost realized the defense was the strength this year and decided to shift philosophy a bit. I'd be real interested to see Frost's response to that question posed by a member of the media. 

34 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Completely agree on Chins. I do still wish he would blitz or design pressure more often. His defense still has some room left for improvement on 3rd down as well. But overall he has improved the defense. 

I've been wondering if Frost may have curtailed his fast pace on offense (and slowed down time between snaps a bit) because Frost realized the defense was the strength this year and decided to shift philosophy a bit. I'd be real interested to see Frost's response to that question posed by a member of the media. 

I think the opposite has been floated during the pressers - supposedly Frost had been keeping it slower than he'd like for the past couple years to protect the defense, and this was the year he'd felt comfortable enough with the defense to run more tempo. Of course, we only run tempo after positive plays so.. didn't happen a lot. But I think from pressers Frost considers a good defense license to go fast, not a reason to shift to a ball control style.

• Plus1 1