***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2021***

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Oh nice, we've got a bunch of pieces from the *checks notes* 66th ranked scoring defense last year. 

What we are actually seeing is that we are being able to keep the best pieces from that defense and hopefully add more good pieces around them. Those good pieces should also improve with another year of development.

I fail to see how keeping these players is a bad thing.  But, you can keep trying to make it that way.

• Plus1 2

Best chances to turn into a consistent threat pass rusher next year, IMO:

Payne - He flashed some things despite being nicked up and switching from a Juco DT. Not exactly Randy Gregory, but not many

guys are.

Nelson - Never going to be dominant as a rusher, but I think he can get some consistent pressure with some refinement. He's not super                      explosive but very strong and not a scrub athletically

Niko Cooper - Needs to get bigger, but Dawson seems to like him and he hit some people on ST. Don't know much about his quickness,                               but he's long.

Tannor - Has some tools, time is running out though. Pretty good stunting inside, haven't seen much from him coming off the

edge though.

Gunnerson - Athletically looks the part, no idea if he's healthy though.

Damien Jackson - actually saw the field a bit last year and got some pressures, but he's all effort and strength which can only go so far.                                     No length, limited speed/quickness

Not holding my breath for a 1st team all-conference season or anything, but I think somebody out of the top 4 steps up and we have a slightly credible pass rush.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Best chances to turn into a consistent threat pass rusher next year, IMO:

Payne - He flashed some things despite being nicked up and switching from a Juco DT. Not exactly Randy Gregory, but not many

guys are.

Nelson - Never going to be dominant as a rusher, but I think he can get some consistent pressure with some refinement. He's not super                      explosive but very strong and not a scrub athletically

Niko Cooper - Needs to get bigger, but Dawson seems to like him and he hit some people on ST. Don't know much about his quickness,                               but he's long.

Tannor - Has some tools, time is running out though. Pretty good stunting inside, haven't seen much from him coming off the

edge though.

Gunnerson - Athletically looks the part, no idea if he's healthy though.

Damien Jackson - actually saw the field a bit last year and got some pressures, but he's all effort and strength which can only go so far.                                     No length, limited speed/quickness

Not holding my breath for a 1st team all-conference season or anything, but I think somebody out of the top 4 steps up and we have a slightly credible pass rush.

Nelson and Tannor will get the most snaps - but I think Payne will see increase reps this year. Depending on his spring and fall camp, Cooper may get some reps on 3rd down/situational pass rush. 

Gunnerson is a year or two away. 

12 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I'm so excited about this!  He played very well this year and can definitely improve upon this past season.  I feel like these seniors can get after it together and enjoy their final season - true Blackshirt Style.  Matured, Bigger, Stronger and experienced.  These guys gone put it all together next season.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 hours ago, admo said:

I'm so excited about this!  He played very well this year and can definitely improve upon this past season.  I feel like these seniors can get after it together and enjoy their final season - true Blackshirt Style.  Matured, Bigger, Stronger and experienced.  These guys gone put it all together next season.

That's what is making me excited too.  I feel like these guys wouldn't be coming back if they didn't think they could improve and do even better next year.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, starting lineup for next year:

DE Ty Robinson

NT Daniels (does Nash have a chance here?)

DE Stille

OLB Nelson

ILB Honas

ILB??? Reimer, Hinrich ???

OLB Doman

CB ??? Newsom, Clark, Joseph??

S Dismuke ?? Pola-Gates??

S Williams

CB Taylor-Britt

I would think Farmer pushes hard for some PT next year. At least he will get a few starts with the targeting suspensions.