***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2021***

27 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I bet I could find 15 tweets from players today regarding the program and the unity and brotherhood they all have.  It's obviously intentional and planned but it's real awkward if you ask me.

Who cares if it's intentional if they mean it? I don't think any of these players don't mean a word they say.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I don't disagree.  It's just awkwardly forced

I can see that.  Not the first time this year they've done this sort of thing.  I'm just really happy we'll have Stille back.  From the season prior to this last one I really like the player he's become.  He's a beast and fun to watch.

52 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I bet I could find 15 tweets from players today regarding the program and the unity and brotherhood they all have.  It's obviously intentional and planned but it's real awkward if you ask me.

Of the list of things we should complain about from this regime..this ain’t it 

A lot of people thought Jimari Butler was gone. Ended up tweeting some stuff today about loving the team. Interesting. 

• Plus1 1
On 1/7/2021 at 11:12 PM, Danny Bateman said:

I've thought some about this the last couple days and despite all the crap we've given him, Chins has steadily improved the D year over year. They're no longer the reason we're not competing like we should. The special teams is atrocious and Scott's offense is stuck in the mud. 

It's funny to me how the one guy we were so sure didn't deserve to be here has steadily improved his side of the ball towards respectability. If we continue trending like we've been could a top 30 unit be out of the question next year? It would be a huge boon if we got Stille back for another year.

Certainly from an effort and preparedness standpoint, the defense is the cleaner and more refined unit today.  Special teams remains an afterthought and the offense lacks creativity and discipline.

In 24 months, we will either be discussing the most surprising turnaround in program history (from 3 wins this year) or the coronation of a new HC.

5 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Certainly from an effort and preparedness standpoint, the defense is the cleaner and more refined unit today.  Special teams remains an afterthought and the offense lacks creativity and discipline.

In 24 months, we will either be discussing the most surprising turnaround in program history (from 3 wins this year) or the coronation of a new HC.

The only thing I disagree with is that - if anything they're trying to be too creative. I'm not of the mindset that all of our offensive problems would be fixed if we ran Mills up the middle 20 times a game last year (even when he was healthy), I'm sure it's more complicated than that. But I don't think it's that much more complicated, and seems like Frost wants the absolute "perfect" game plan even if it's riskier than more straightforward and lower ceiling plans. 

30 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The only thing I disagree with is that - if anything they're trying to be too creative. I'm not of the mindset that all of our offensive problems would be fixed if we ran Mills up the middle 20 times a game last year (even when he was healthy), I'm sure it's more complicated than that. But I don't think it's that much more complicated, and seems like Frost wants the absolute "perfect" game plan even if it's riskier than more straightforward and lower ceiling plans. 

Fair point.  I could have conditioned my remark with an "at times" given all the swing passes to the boundary, inside zone runs and single wing QB runs that we typically see.  

Just now, All Hail Herbie said:

Fair point.  I could have conditioned my remark with an "at times" given all the swing passes to the boundary, inside zone runs and single wing QB runs that we typically see.  

Yeah that's true, it is hard to describe a QB power as creative. I dunno, it was a weird mix. I do get the sense the other factors - penalties, drops, missed blocks, and turnovers - were much bigger factors than playcalling. But not sure the playcalling did the offense any favors either.

Just now, Husker in WI said:

Yeah that's true, it is hard to describe a QB power as creative. I dunno, it was a weird mix. I do get the sense the other factors - penalties, drops, missed blocks, and turnovers - were much bigger factors than playcalling. But not sure the playcalling did the offense any favors either.

Completely agree.  The problems with the Offense are too numerous to even find a suitable starting point.  If we could start with playing a clean game (no matter the opponent) and not commit any penalties or turnovers, it would be interesting to see whether all of the other issues that we highlight on this board would simply disappear.  They just might...