***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2021***

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

Was 6-3, 180 coming out of high school.  I'm thinking we see him at OLB this year.

As an alternative, with the size of our DL, I would be really interested to see Chinander come up with some creative 3-3-5 packages where Javin could play safety alongside Williams and Dismuke.  With (3) Safeties on the back end, Chin may then have the confidence to tighten up his corners.

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, Canadian Fan said:

As an alternative, with the size of our DL, I would be really interested to see Chinander come up with some creative 3-3-5 packages where Javin could play safety alongside Williams and Dismuke.  With (3) Safeties on the back end, Chin may then have the confidence to tighten up his corners.

Eh ... we run a lot of 2-4-5 which is pretty similar when you consider that one of our OLBs does basically the same thing that a DE does in other defenses.

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...

We've got a lot of young guns back there with great upside also who are still waiting/are in line to get a lot more action.  Farmer, Clark, Noa Pola, Wright, Joseph.  A lot to be encouraged about for sure in our secondary besides returning Cam Taylor, Dismuke and Dentai Williams.

“I got about 15-16 guys in my office during the day, every day hanging out, watching film,” Fisher said. “They have watched practice maybe three or four times before it's time to watch practice, which is a good thing.”

• Plus1 1

On 1/2/2021 at 7:46 PM, Decked said:

Jojo, Kolarevic, Reimer, Heinrich, Tannor,  Nelson, & Payne + Honas (?). Add in some guys with a year of S&C in Cooper, Mauga-Clements, & Butler...gonna be interesting to see what happens there. Linebacker core is getting better. Still need a pass rusher or two. 

before Frost got her I felt the linebacker unit as a whole was an FCS level talented group. Going into 2021, this is the first time I feel we are building a linebacker unit that is now worth of being a Big Ten level unit. JoJo coming back for one more season helps the transition so we can get the younger guys developed and ready. Then it becomes a matter of just making sure the coaches bring in a solid linebacker class every year. If they can do that, then we will have good defenses. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, uberism said:

before Frost got her I felt the linebacker unit as a whole was an FCS level talented group.

I don't know about FCS, but certainly not Big Ten level. Part of it was the mismatch in scheme - still trying to transition from 4-3 to 3-4 with guys who were mostly Banker recruits and a couple Pelini remnants. I'm still worried about who's gonna be our pass rusher this year, though.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

Just now, Mavric said:

I mean ... we've been through this before and that is not the case.  At least that's not what people have posted on this here board.

Not everyone but 90%. I think most reasonable people realize that our biggest issues are offense & special teams by now. Most. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Offense churns out tons of yards. Like, tons of yards especially when humming. What did Adrian complete? Like 70%+ of his passes in games? 

However, struggled to actually score TDs, and with a poor kicking game, score at all. Big time Deficiency! 

i think our biggest issues are turnovers, penalties, and time management. Those are coaching probs. 

instead of working on pace and pushing max number plays, we need to work on pace and fundamentals at a quick pace. Fundamentally sound first. 

I’ll never forget being at the N v Oregon game and seeing how g’damn fast Oregon was at snapping the ball. It was like, another play  in 17 seconds!! But they executed at such a high  level. 

we won the game, but you could see how the game changed before our eyes. 

if Frost can get execution first, and I mean FIRST, then I think his scheme works. If he needs to slow it down so we can execute, then do it. Seems like he has the bodies he needs to finally run his offense, albeit at a slower pace..which is fine. Just run it without all the damn penalties and miscues. 

I’m very optimistic moving into 2021 that with better athletes, guys 2-3 yrs in, rid the rats, and a full offseason we will see fruits of the labor. 

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...