***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2021***

3 hours ago, Farms said:

Not sure if Domann will ever find a role that suits him in the NFL but that kid can play.  I hope he has a breakout year and gets some recognition. 

He should be gold at the next level. Hybrid guys that don’t require a sub package are in high demand. Nate Gerry found a role and Domann has a chance to be better than him. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, SECHusker said:

Don't think he's taken into account how much offenses have changed.

I think rule changes have played a big role but offensive schemes and QB play have dramatically improved from even like 10 years ago. During quarantine I watched a bunch of old football games on Youtube and caught two games from '05 USC, and it was shocking how average Matt Leinart looked compared to today's QBs and he won a Heisman then.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

I think rule changes have played a big role but offensive schemes and QB play have dramatically improved from even like 10 years ago. During quarantine I watched a bunch of old football games on Youtube and caught two games from '05 USC, and it was shocking how average Matt Leinart looked compared to today's QBs and he won a Heisman then.

I tend to think rule changes have enabled a lot of the changes in offensive scheme. IE rule changes that benefit offensive players create extra stress on a defense, schemes adjust to exploit that added stress, thus making offenses more effective. The inability to ragdoll a quarterback like Suh comes to mind, as does all the rules regarding WR safety/ targeting, etc. the lack of enforcement on rub routes, they all cumulatively make it much harder for a good defense to perform. I would recon if you go back and watch the number 1 defenses during the early 2000s and the number 1 defenses of recent years, todays defenses would look pretty average as well. 

I just hate how every rule is in place to make offenses succeed.  I don't like how they protect the QB so much.  They are on the field just like every other player, they aren't special.  Now defenses can't read ques like O-line coming down field in pass vs run scenarios because they can get like 10 yard downfield before its a penalty on a pass.  All this because the people who don't know anything about football just want to see points.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I tend to think rule changes have enabled a lot of the changes in offensive scheme. IE rule changes that benefit offensive players create extra stress on a defense, schemes adjust to exploit that added stress, thus making offenses more effective. The inability to ragdoll a quarterback like Suh comes to mind, as does all the rules regarding WR safety/ targeting, etc. the lack of enforcement on rub routes, they all cumulatively make it much harder for a good defense to perform. I would recon if you go back and watch the number 1 defenses during the early 2000s and the number 1 defenses of recent years, todays defenses would look pretty average as well. 

18 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I just hate how every rule is in place to make offenses succeed.  I don't like how they protect the QB so much.  They are on the field just like every other player, they aren't special.  Now defenses can't read ques like O-line coming down field in pass vs run scenarios because they can get like 10 yard downfield before its a penalty on a pass.  All this because the people who don't know anything about football just want to see points.  

They had to take some of the physicality out of the game for safety reasons so it's hard for me to criticize that. I think they could pretty easily tighten up the linemen downfield rule and take away a lot of the RPO stuff that's kinda bologna. Maybe I'm being a crank, but throwing a pass when your right guard is six yards down the field blocking a linebacker isn't fair football to me. 

I do also think just quarterback and receiver play is better. High schools are running more modern stuff and everyone does months of 7 on 7 in the offseason. QBs and WRs are getting to college (and later the NFL) with a lot more reps and better technique than they used to have even 10 years ago.

• Plus1 2
  • 1 month later...

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I never knew there was a 4th team

The preseason ones are kind of a joke - their second team QB hasn't thrown a pass and has one career rushing attempt. Now he did take that 48 yards for a TD and is throwing to what would probably be an above average NFL receiving corps, so he probably will be great. But yeah 4th team preseason all-conference is ridiculous and a bit of a dubious honor. 

It is interesting to see the conference talent at certain positions though - 2 of the 4 QBs are projections (Stroud and Mertz), and Penix is good but maybe not "best in the conference" good unless it's a pretty weak season for QB play. The 1-2 of Ibrahim/Goodson is excellent at RB, but already on the second team Teague keeps getting recruited/transferred over and Berger is very unproven. On the flip side, it's an impressive list at WR and pretty much the entire defense all the way through 4.