***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2021***

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

I thought the goal was to tackle players and win games. Targeting and not wrapping players up - going for the highlight reel hit doesnt help NU win games. I don't recall any of those big hits causing a turnover- and how many targeting calls has Williams been called for? The first 2 hits in this video he was obviously targeting.  He does realize he's on defense- which is the tackling- not blocking side of the ball right?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So for the guys that know more about what is actually going on in Lincoln than I do....

In looking at the defensive roster, the more I dig into it, the more striking it appears the DL depth significantly exceeds the LB depth.

More specifically, to my eye, it looks like you have 1 "sure thing" LB in Domann.  Beyond that as you start looking for #2, #3 and #4, it appears there are a lot of significant question marks, especially after Honas's injury.  

On the other hand, when I look at the DL, it appears to me that there are 4-5 proven guys, and then you've got mooses like Nash who are showing glimpses of being pocket destroyers who have demonstrated enough talent that you have to get them on the field.

My instinct based on both that depth chart and the size and strength of B1G offensive lines, is that we should be experimenting with 4-DL fronts (4-2-5?) as the base D for first and second downs, during Fall Camp to see how they perform versus the the formations that have traditionally been Chin's favourites.

So my questions are:

1.  Does anyone else agree (or disagree} with that assesment?

2.  If it was your call (based on what you know now), what would you 2-Deep Defensive Depth Chart look like in your preferred base formation?

3. Do we think if Chin/Frost sees a similar talent split between the DL and the LB groups, is he flexible enough to build his base from there?  Or as a 3-4 adherent, is it more likely he pushes talent development in his linebackers so he can run his preferred system?

28 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

So for the guys that know more about what is actually going on in Lincoln than I do....

In looking at the defensive roster, the more I dig into it, the more striking it appears the DL depth significantly exceeds the LB depth.

More specifically, to my eye, it looks like you have 1 "sure thing" LB in Domann.  Beyond that as you start looking for #2, #3 and #4, it appears there are a lot of significant question marks, especially after Honas's injury.  

On the other hand, when I look at the DL, it appears to me that there are 4-5 proven guys, and then you've got mooses like Nash who are showing glimpses of being pocket destroyers who have demonstrated enough talent that you have to get them on the field.

My instinct based on both that depth chart and the size and strength of B1G offensive lines, is that we should be experimenting with 4-DL fronts (4-2-5?) as the base D for first and second downs, during Fall Camp to see how they perform versus the the formations that have traditionally been Chin's favourites.

So my questions are:

1.  Does anyone else agree (or disagree} with that assesment?

2.  If it was your call (based on what you know now), what would you 2-Deep Defensive Depth Chart look like in your preferred base formation?

3. Do we think if Chin/Frost sees a similar talent split between the DL and the LB groups, is he flexible enough to build his base from there?  Or as a 3-4 adherent, is it more likely he pushes talent development in his linebackers so he can run his preferred system?

I'd disagree a little bit on the LB depth - I like the top 3 we have at ILB with Reimer, Henrich, and Kolarevic if he lives up to the camp hype. I like the little we've seen from Snodgrass, and then other guys like Ho'ohuli and Mauga-Clements who could break out. OLB I'm less confident in difference makers, but Tannor, Payne, and Nelson have all been solid. The spot behind Domann is scary until proven otherwise, I know they like Javin Wright a ton but it's a unique position. So overall yeah less depth than DL, but not super concerning IMO.

As far as 4-DL fronts, we basically do. If you say the starting front 7 is Robinson-Daniels-Stille and Domann-Henrich-Reimer-Nelson, you can call that a 3-4. But Nelson would be more of a DE giving us 4 DL, and Domann plays hybrid safety depending on personnel/formation. So a lot of times it functions as a 4-2-5. Can also function as more of a 4-3 or 5-2. I don't think we need to sacrifice more athleticism by taking an OLB off for another DL, the big OLBs are essentially 4-3 ends anyway. 

I don't think you're wrong about the comparative depth at DL/LB, but it's not just as simple as swapping schemes. All of our DL fit the mold of interior guys in a 4 man front, so you wouldn't really just throw 4 of them out there unless it's a short yardage situation or and incredibly basic run heavy team. Flexibility is Chins' goal, it's just already baked into the scheme. I think we would be easier to attack if we put more of our current DL on the field and take an OLB off. 

• Plus1 2

Oh yeah, I would definitely agree that we've got better guys in the front three than at LB, which is probably still going to be the weakest group on the defense. A lot of people have blamed the front three for things that were more the failing of the LBs, the DL has actually been pretty solid for the most part.

Jojo is dependable, but the other positions are a little more questionable. Our lack of a pass rushing OLB is something I've been screaming about for like five years now, and we still keep striking out on recruiting a legit dude for that role. It sounds like Payne will be filling that role this year, and is looking competent, but not exactly a star level. Inside, Kolarevic was apparently turning some heads this spring, he could quickly become a leader on the defense.

That said, as Husker in WI said it wouldn't be as simple as just putting an extra lineman on the field. In a typical 3-4, the front three are mostly just there to take up as much space and chew up as many blockers as they can, while the OLBs are the actual attack dogs rushing the QB. Hence why our D-linemen are pretty much all 300+ lb behemoths. Usually in a 4-3, the DEs are lighter and faster because you need speed to get to the QB.

Run defense should be good.  Pass rush is still going to be a major issue but not a ton of teams can sling it. OSU, OU of course and maybe Wisconsin this year, Purdue, maybe Michigan. I don't see Minny or Iowa as huge passing threats.

It'll be interesting to hear folks responses about the DBs. Might still get beat some even with being very good due to the lack of pass rush.  I still think that holds the team back from being a really good defense. More 3rd down struggles I suspect.

I'm cautiously optimistic that our pass rush might follow a trajectory similar to the O-line's, and at least be serviceable. But my certainty there is reeaally low.

• Plus1 3