***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2021***

22 hours ago, Undone said:

Exactly. And we could take this this discussion over to one of the other threads about our offense, but I do think a ton of fans are asking if Greg Austin is a good offensive line coach or not.

It's not like the defense has greater proportional talent to work with than the offensive line, at least in my opinion. If anything it's "equal," but I think the talent level is actually higher on the offense.

I agree the talent is there on both sides 

I think leadership is very different on defense, especially when two of the leaders are on the defensive line in Daniels and Stills.

Those guys came back while the upperclassmen on the OL (Jaimes, Farniok) bolted 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I agree the talent is there on both sides 

I think leadership is very different on defense, especially when two of the leaders are on the defensive line in Daniels and Stills.

Those guys came back while the upperclassmen on the OL (Jaimes, Farniok) bolted 

So you think it's maybe that players are not getting after some of these linemen for their poor play and holding them accountable?

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

So you think it's maybe that players are not getting after some of these linemen for their poor play and holding them accountable?

I think it's a big part of it since you need to be playing at a high level yourself to hold others accountable.

That pretty much leaves Jurgens trying to do it alone right now as far as the OL unit.

I just think it's better when the "enforcers" are offensive and defensive linemen.  We're good to go with the big boys on D.  Not so much on O.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think it's a big part of it since you need to be playing at a high level yourself to hold others accountable.

That pretty much leaves Jurgens trying to do it alone right now as far as the OL unit.

I just think it's better when the "enforcers" are offensive and defensive linemen.  We're good to go with the big boys on D.  Not so much on O.

You may be on to something as it pertains to the false starts.

But I'm not sure that Jurgens can for example fix Benhart's feet or his inability to pick up blitzers. These issues seem more likely to be a coaching issue and an inability to get some of our guys prepared for games more than an accountability problem, in my opinion.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

You may be on to something as it pertains to the false starts.

But I'm not sure that Jurgens can for example fix Benhart's feet or his inability to pick up blitzers. These issues seem more likely to be a coaching issue and an inability to get some of our guys prepared for games more than an accountability problem, in my opinion.

Agreed.  Frost called Benhart out....let's see how Benhart handles it.

• Plus1 2

6 hours ago, TheSker said:

6 hours ago, Undone said:

If they would go 1s vs 1s at least one day a week, the D line could somewhat hold the O line accountable.  Make the O line beat them.  They are good.  If the D line beats teh crap out of them and makes them look bad......then they need to work harder or pay attention to details more.

@TheSker Good posts.  You and I usually disagree in our levels of optimism, but the past few posts have been spot on.  Leadership (from the players) is key.  Without it, the team is a rudderless ship in a Tsunami.  That's what made the Huskers so great back in the day.  Accountability to the team, themselves and staff.  They did not allow a dude to slip up without repercussions.  It let the players knows there is the staffs expectations and ours.  

To the bowl game opt out.  I think it speaks directly to the leadership in the defensive side of the ball, not only in the staff, but players.  Based on the comments and the guys coming back, I was confident the D would be the strength of the team.  I think it also has to do with the players seeing tangible signs of improvement in scheme and success and that translating into confidence in what the staff is doing.  I also see the defense more soild as far as rotations/playing time that appears to have a method to the madness.  On offense, I am not so sure.  IMHO, this causes consciously or subconsciously some issues.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If they would go 1s vs 1s at least one day a week, the D line could somewhat hold the O line accountable.  Make the O line beat them.  They are good.  If the D line beats teh crap out of them and makes them look bad......then they need to work harder or pay attention to details more.

We don't already do this?

I don't remember if it was a 30 for 30 or some other documentary on Miami but Ed Reed said that during their stretch of greatness it didn't matter who the coach was.  Said player would start practices and basically ran them.  Guys would beat up dudes not following team rules.  Also seems to be the common theme during the Huskers' stretch in the 90's.  I don't see that happening at good ole NU anytime soon.

For a couple seasons there, JoJo was sort of the only "playmaking linebacker" out there for us. And in the more obvious passing downs he mans up against the other team's slot guy. Which is nice, because he's fast...but then he's not covering the middle because he's matched up against a receiver.

One of the biggest things that's really upped our level is Reimer then being that other quick guy that takes great angles to get to where the ball's at.

And Nelson is another one of those guys that's playing above his expected potential.

Crazy that in five games played, the most a team's offense has scored on our defense is 23 (which oddly came against Illinois and not Oklahoma or Michigan State).

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Undone said:

For a couple seasons there, JoJo was sort of the only "playmaking linebacker" out there for us. And in the more obvious passing downs he mans up against the other team's slot guy. Which is nice, because he's fast...but then he's not covering the middle because he's matched up against a receiver.

One of the biggest things that's really upped our level is Reimer then being that other quick guy that takes great angles to get to where the ball's at.

And Nelson is another one of those guys that's playing above his expected potential.

Crazy that in five games played, the most a team's offense has scored on our defense is 23 (which oddly came against Illinois and not Oklahoma or Michigan State).

Illinois's offense only scored 21, there was the safety in addition to the defensive TD. But yeah, baffling that out of the teams we've played, Illinois scored the most. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Illinois's offense only scored 21, there was the safety in addition to the defensive TD. But yeah, baffling that out of the teams we've played, Illinois scored the most. 

I got the math wrong, thanks. You're right - 21, and Oklahoma's offense also only scored 21 because two of their points were off of the returned PAT.

So to bottom line the whole thing, our defense has done more than enough in all five games to have allowed us to go 5-0.

Mistakes, dumb penalties, and missed field goals have kept us from being ranked as a Top 15 team up to this point. Pretty wild.

• Plus1 2