***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2021***

On 4/8/2021 at 6:07 PM, Mavric said:

I mean ... we've been through this before and that is not the case.  At least that's not what people have posted on this here board.

I think we can all agree that offense, defense and special teams need improvement.

Defense visibly and statistically improved a bit in the last two years, while the offense seemed to regress.  Most of us will celebrate progress wherever we can find it.

We definitely defend the run better, but the lack of pass rush remains pretty glaring. Would love to see the Illinois QB hit the ground a few times Saturday. 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'll give Williams some props.  He actually made plays on the ball and didn't just catch an errant pass or a tipped ball. 

Props for sure.  If he doesn't move, the ball just hits him in face mask and drops to the turf.  Heck of a play, and he made them both.  :w00t

:throwdabones1::throwdabones1:

54 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I was ridiculed at the end of last season (and during the offseason) for saying I'm still not sold on Chinander. I stand by my beliefs.

If I zoom out I feel like this is what I see:

-Banker and then Diaco completely lost any sense of being able to stop the run

-Chinander comes in with his vision of a dynamic 3-4

-Everybody on the D line got beefed up big time in the weight room/training table

-By 2020 we had turned around Riley's crap run defense

But the one problem that still sticks out like a sore thumb is that we don't have a true edge rusher. I love Nelson, but I don't think he'll ever be effective in this role. What you really want is the lankier, athletic body type that you can then add weight to as needed - like the Grant Wistrom body type.

Chinander just hasn't landed that guy.

• Plus1 2