Jump to content


***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2021***


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

 

So, starting lineup for next year:

 

DE Ty Robinson

NT Daniels (does Nash have a chance here?)

DE Stille

OLB Nelson

ILB Honas

ILB??? Reimer, Hinrich ???

OLB Doman

CB ??? Newsom, Clark, Joseph??

S Dismuke ?? Pola-Gates??

S Williams

CB Taylor-Britt

Caleb Tannor will have a say in that also

Link to comment

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

I think Gunnerson can surpass Nelson. Nelson did improve in run D as some are saying but he is a such a liability trying to cover anyone and still has issues over pursuing.

 

Gunnerson ain't covering anyone well either - there are a few scenarios where we need them to drop, but coverage ability really isn't a priority for that OLB spot. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

On 1/13/2021 at 1:45 PM, Cdog923 said:

Oh nice, we've got a bunch of pieces from the *checks notes* 66th ranked scoring defense last year. 

 

Scoring defense numbers were affected by our garbage ST's, turnovers, and struggling offense. We were ranked considerably better in yards per play, a stat less affected by those outside factors. 

Link to comment

If Nelson is starting next year, it is 10 vs 11.

If Tannor is starting too, it is 9 vs 11.

 

I think you will see two dudes with their hands on the ground and then the other 9 will be the best 9.

 

Nelson and Tannor can't be on the field, let alone starting.  Both those guys make Gangwish look like a stud.

 

Your OLB's in this front either need to be your freakiest players or your smartest.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

If Nelson is starting next year, it is 10 vs 11.

If Tannor is starting too, it is 9 vs 11.

 

I think you will see two dudes with their hands on the ground and then the other 9 will be the best 9.

 

Nelson and Tannor can't be on the field, let alone starting.  Both those guys make Gangwish look like a stud.

 

Your OLB's in this front either need to be your freakiest players or your smartest.  

 

Nelson needs to add some yoga to his S&C.  Last offseason appears to have gotten stronger but at the cost of agility and flexibility (like Farniok). Then have him spend a couple hundred practice reps trying to play nickel against a big WR or TE and he'll get better.  But right now he doesn't have a clue what to do and is physically incapable of doing it, which is a bad combo.  The good news is there are steps over a long offseason that can be taken to mitigate the issues and it certainly appears he has the work ethic to do whatever is asked of him.

Link to comment

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

By the way did "Polar Bear" from Chamberlain, SD play at all during this past fall?  I don't remember seeing him.   What are his prospects for this next year??

 

I don't believe so.  We are pretty loaded on the defensive line.  Stille, Daniels, Rogers and Robinson played a lot of snaps and all return next year.  Then Wildeman, Riley and Thomas all played a little bit.  Mosai Newsom and Hutmacher would probably be the next two in line but will have to pass someone up to get in the two-deep.  I would guess it will be another year before we see much of Hutmacher.

Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Mavric said:

 

I don't believe so.  We are pretty loaded on the defensive line.  Stille, Daniels, Rogers and Robinson played a lot of snaps and all return next year.  Then Wildeman, Riley and Thomas all played a little bit.  Mosai Newsom and Hutmacher would probably be the next two in line but will have to pass someone up to get in the two-deep.  I would guess it will be another year before we see much of Hutmacher.

Nice to be building depth. That is a positive. 

Link to comment

The defensive side of the ball should do well and keep us in games next season.  I'm not one to say they will be top 25 by any means.  They don't deserve that kind of extra pressure/expectations.  I only hope the offense can help them out a lot more next year.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, admo said:

The defensive side of the ball should do well and keep us in games next season.  I'm not one to say they will be top 25 by any means.  They don't deserve that kind of extra pressure/expectations.  I only hope the offense can help them out a lot more next year.

 

I think we're at the point where they need to embrace expectations. Maybe not expectations of a specific defensive ranking, but at least expectations of being a very good defense. I'm excited, this is the first time in recent memory where I won't be panicking when we see the 2s at any position in game. Actual depth everywhere except behind Jojo, and hopefully Javin Wright is coming along to provide that. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...