93 Huskers vs Florida State

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm of the mind that, all things being equal, 1994 doesn't happen if we win in 1993. 

You may be right but I think that era for whatever reason. That team had a focus, fire and desire to win. So I think they would still have gotten it done. 1994 didn’t stop them from busting a$$ and making 1995 happen

• Fire 1

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

You may be right but I think that era for whatever reason. That team had a focus, fire and desire to win. So I think they would still have gotten it done. 1994 didn’t stop them from busting a$$ and making 1995 happen

"Unfinished Business" was a powerful motivator. That, and the best offensive line in school history helped fuel '94 through some incredibly trying times. 

29 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It is like apples and oranges comparison. On one hand you have an undefeated team playing for a national championship. Great looking team going toe to toe with the other top team in the country. You lose by 2 points and it costs you a national championship. 

On the other hand you have a pathetic team that looks poorly coached and undisciplined all season. Many reasons why we lose so much and refs may play a small part in that. But a large part in that is controlled by us. Get ourselves in order and when we are back to doing everything right again and look solid on the field. Then start b!^@hing about the refs.

The reason they are apples to oranges is because 1993 Nebraska had all their ducks in a row and the refs cost them a game. In 2019 and 2020 we were a mess in nearly all categories so before most fans are going to look to blaming the refs is IF we were actually taking care of business in other areas of the football team. It just looks like whining and excuse making when you are not doing anything well. So yes I agree the biased Big Ten refs are frustrating. But for me I am MORE frustrated by how pathetic we look as a team. If we are going to take the next step as a program it will be because we look in the mirror and address what we can control. We are not going to get better by sticking our head in the sand and blaming the refs. Would you feel better if we were a s#!tty team that went 6-6 instead of a s#!tty team that went 4-8? I wouldnt. If our standards at Nebraska are still be become an elite team again that wins the west, wins big ten championships and wins national championships then we need to get ourselves fixed 

Does it matter???  In close games against relatively evenly matched opponents, a refs decision to throw or not throw a flag certainly alters the outcome of the game. It doesn't matter if they are two crappy teams or two great ones. I'd add you also do not have to be a great team to win the BIG West. Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Northwestern are all pretty evenly matched right now- as evidenced by multiple one score games between them. Nebraska would be perceived much more as "having their ducks in a row" if our opponents teams big plays & scoring plays were called back as oftenly as Nebraska's are, or Nebraska's big plays and scoring plays were allowed to stand.

Would I feel better about the program with a few extra wins each season - well yea- that means we go bowling, it means the national narrative about the Huskers is altered, recruiting becomes easier, etc. Does that mean I'd ignore the work that needed to be done to continue to improve, nope. We have plenty to do, doesn't mean Frost and the team haven't been screwed out of a handful of wins or more by biased and inconsistent reffing. 

5 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Does it matter???  In close games against relatively evenly matched opponents, a refs decision to throw or not throw a flag certainly alters the outcome of the game. It doesn't matter if they are two crappy teams or two great ones. I'd add you also do not have to be a great team to win the BIG West. Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Northwestern are all pretty evenly matched right now- as evidenced by multiple one score games between them. Nebraska would be perceived much more as "having their ducks in a row" if our opponents teams big plays & scoring plays were called back as oftenly as Nebraska's are, or Nebraska's big plays and scoring plays were allowed to stand.

Would I feel better about the program with a few extra wins each season - well yea- that means we go bowling, it means the national narrative about the Huskers is altered, recruiting becomes easier, etc. Does that mean I'd ignore the work that needed to be done to continue to improve, nope. We have plenty to do, doesn't mean Frost and the team haven't been screwed out of a handful of or more by biased and inconsistent reffing. 

I get it. I just choose to focus on what we can control. We can't control the refs. I think it is evident the team has a big mental hurdle they need to get over. I do not think making excuses and blaming the refs helps them grow and progress. The team needs to review, adjust and fix what they are not doing well. I think they solve all that ails our football team and we will be a superior team to everyone we play and a few bad calls will not alter the games anymore. Until you meet a team like Ohio State. 

Edit: we have heard maybe the team gets entitlement issues. Like oh I play for Nebraska type of thing. A blue blood. Well if any kids feel that way- it is not helping them get better if you say well the refs cost us that game. No- look in the mirror. 

51 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm of the mind that, all things being equal, 1994 doesn't happen if we win in 1993. 

Zach Wiegert, said what I think a lot of us thought. We probably should have won 5 straight.

I always thought we could have, if a call here and there, had gone different. We were that close.

GBR!!!

• Plus1 2

A couple things I recall not already mentioned:

Charlie Ward sitting w/FSU's biggest booster at the time, Jimmy Hewitt at a Miami Heat/Orlando Magic game 2 days before the game.

Trev Alberts alone sacked Ward more times in that game than he had been sacked all season.

Floyd not only fumbled, he barely cracked the 1 yard line.

There wasn't anything close to a clip on that punt return.

FSU should have been penalized for storming the field prior to NU's FG attempt.  That would have been 15 yards & a stopped clock.

It would have been sweet to hit that FG & have Bowden lose after being showered w/Gatorade

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

Zach Wiegert, said what I think a lot of us thought. We probably should have won 5 straight.

I always thought we could have, if a call here and there, had gone different. We were that close.

GBR!!!

96 -  I still think Texas had its 'agents' spike the food before the CCG:stir:smokin

15 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Would I feel better about the program with a few extra wins each season - well yea- that means we go bowling, it means the national narrative about the Huskers is altered, recruiting becomes easier, etc. Does that mean I'd ignore the work that needed to be done to continue to improve, nope. We have plenty to do, doesn't mean Frost and the team haven't been screwed out of a handful of wins or more by biased and inconsistent reffing. 

Just for clarity, are you of the belief that "biased and inconsistent reffing" is happening more so towards Nebraska OR this is a general problem that occurs towards all teams?

9 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Just for clarity, are you of the belief that "biased and inconsistent reffing" is happening more so towards Nebraska OR this is a general problem that occurs towards all teams?

I am of the belief that while other teams experience this as well, Nebraska currently and even historically (though back then we were good enough to overcome biased and inconsistent reffing most of the time) seems to be held to a different standard than its opponents by referees. The lack of holding calls against Nebraska opponents across the last 10ish or so years is certainly one obvious, well researched, and data affirmed example of this. 

20 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I am of the belief that while other teams experience this as well, Nebraska currently and even historically (though back then we were good enough to overcome biased and inconsistent reffing most of the time) seems to be held to a different standard than its opponents by referees. The lack of holding calls against Nebraska opponents across the last 10ish or so years is certainly one obvious, well researched, and data affirmed example of this. 

Does any other school have an example like 1982 Penn State catching the ball like 3' out of bounds and it got called a catch? 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Does any other school have an example like 1982 Penn State catching the ball like 3' out of bounds and it got called a catch? 

5th down comes to mind. I think every fanbase wants to believe the refs have it out for them, and recently in the Big Ten there's at least a case that we're getting the short end of the stick. We definitely have some big ones - Penn Sate in 82 and Florida State in 93 - but I suspect there are other teams with specific gripes in big games. Especially before replay, there were a fair amount of straight up bad calls. 

35 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

5th down comes to mind. I think every fanbase wants to believe the refs have it out for them, and recently in the Big Ten there's at least a case that we're getting the short end of the stick. We definitely have some big ones - Penn Sate in 82 and Florida State in 93 - but I suspect there are other teams with specific gripes in big games. Especially before replay, there were a fair amount of straight up bad calls. 

Also - don't forget the 'winning PSU TD'  just a play or two later was basically a trapped ball as the receiver 'caught' at the ground level.