Media Bias

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Didn’t everyone love McCain before running for President?  Was media’s favorite Republican.  Until he ran for President and then wasn’t.   

No, not everyone loved McCain before, during, or after his run. I wasn't opposed to voting for him until the disaster that was Palin and courting the fringe right of the party (that eventually led to Trump).

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

At certain points in every election cycle, newsrooms will actively limit the amount of coverage some candidates for public office receive if they are unlikely to win or don't have a substantial enough backing to win. This has been the case for at least several decades. Some people don't like it (usually those in support of said fringe/losing/minor candidate) but there's logic behind the strategy.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Didn’t everyone love McCain before running for President?  Was media’s favorite Republican.  Until he ran for President and then wasn’t.   

McCain was well-liked by the press during his Presidential campaign, and enjoyed friendly relations that extended to The Daily Show and Saturday Night Live. Mike Huckabee, too The media had pretty good relations with Rudy Guliani back then. I don't think they ever warmed up to Mitt Romney,

The same press gently elevated Barack Obama at the expense of Hillary Clinton. They really didn't care for the Clinton circus. If you'll recall, the rightwing media never liked John McCain and was agitating for anyone else. McCain lost a lot of respect from most intelligent people when he chose Sarah Palin. 

By and large, did the national media prefer Barack Obama over McCain/Palin, swayed by the historical importance of the U.S. electing its first Black president?

Sure. Why not? 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

At certain points in every election cycle, newsrooms will actively limit the amount of coverage some candidates for public office receive if they are unlikely to win or don't have a substantial enough backing to win. This has been the case for at least several decades. Some people don't like it (usually those in support of said fringe/losing/minor candidate) but there's logic behind the strategy.

Say what??? Media runs what they are paid to. Candidate ads quit running when they don't have the money to buy time, not because the media decides to stop.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

By and large, did the national media prefer Barack Obama over McCain/Palin, swayed by the historical importance of the U.S. electing its first Black president?

Therein lies the problem.   That preference probably tainted what stories they Wanted to focus on and the time spent on each story to help sway public opinion towards a candidate 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

McCain was well-liked by the press during his Presidential campaign, and enjoyed friendly relations that extended to The Daily Show and Saturday Night Live. Mike Huckabee, too The media had pretty good relations with Rudy Guliani back then. I don't think they ever warmed up to Mitt Romney,

The same press gently elevated Barack Obama at the expense of Hillary Clinton. They really didn't care for the Clinton circus. If you'll recall, the rightwing media never liked John McCain and was agitating for anyone else. McCain lost a lot of respect from most intelligent people when he chose Sarah Palin. 

Sure. Why not? 

https://www.journalism.org/2008/10/22/winning-media-campaign/

I had my initial numbers wrong but this dives pretty good into media during the 2008 election.  Pretty whopping difference 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Therein lies the problem.   That preference probably tainted what stories they Wanted to focus on and the time spent on each story to help sway public opinion towards a candidate 

Hey has anyone read that other post about Archy1221 and Notre Dame Joe working together to betray Notre Dame? It said they sold signals and gave them practice tape. I don't know, but maybe someone should look into it.

50 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You continue to ignore context. You're basically arguing that ANYONE should get equal favorability regardless of circumstance. It's ridiculous.

Your continuing to ignore facts and Journalisms own post Mortem of election coverage. It’s ridiculous. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Your continuing to ignore facts and Journalisms own post Mortem of election coverage. It’s ridiculous. 

Do you know what creates incredible bias! Multiple accounts controlled by the same person echoing and reinforcing the same messaging, like Archy1221 and Notre Dame Joe! I heard they were both born in Kenya. I don't know where that information came from, but its been given to the proper authorities. We'll see where it goes...

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Do you know what creates incredible bias! Multiple accounts controlled by the same person echoing and reinforcing the same messaging, like Archy1221 and Notre Dame Joe! I heard they were both born in Kenya. I don't know where that information came from, but its been given to the proper authorities. We'll see where it goes...

Hey Born, every time you do this the rest of us look to see if there are any legit updates in the topic, so you're wasting everyone's time. Can you at least keep it to one thread if you're gonna do it? Although I'm guessing a mod is going to tell you to stop pretty soon.

• Plus1 4
5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Sure. Why not? 

I think even Jon Daily would admit he had a ton of respect for McCain, and that's why he was so hard on him. John was human and made some big mistakes, but he was about as honest as a politician could be. He was highly intelligent and we'll versed in history. He took his job extremely seriously and he was always gracious in the few times he experienced defeat. Obviously he was also a hero and had the respect of any friend or foe for what he chose to go through in Vietnam

If he didn't pick Palin he probably would have been President (or maybe I'm misremembering). Palin was an awful decision and I only voted for him because I thought he had the better energy policy with a nuclear focus. I felt it was important to invest in nuclear and clean coal until we could fully transition to renewables. I still think we screwed up by not investing more into nuclear. That being said, I never considered Palin really being president so I was comfortable with McCain guiding the country.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

If he didn't pick Palin he probably would have been President (or maybe I'm misremembering). Palin was an awful decision and I only voted for him because I thought he had the better energy policy with a nuclear focus. I felt it was important to invest in nuclear and clean coal until we could fully transition to renewables. I still think we screwed up by now investing more into nuclear. That being said, I never considered Palin really being president so I was comfortable with McCain guiding the country.

Palin was a bad decision, but Obama won by almost 10 million votes. I just looked and he won Florida by 2.8%. Anyone-but-Palin would've merely made it closer.

20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Palin was a bad decision, but Obama won by almost 10 million votes. I just looked and he won Florida by 2.8%. Anyone-but-Palin would've merely made it closer.

Like I said. Probably misremembering. I've had some beverages... McCain pissed me off quite a few times after I voted for him, for idiological reasons, but he's one of the very few I feel actually gave a damn about this country.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Like I said. Probably misremembering. I've had some beverages... McCain pissed me off quite a few times after I voted for him, for idiological reasons, but he's one of the very few I feel actually gave a damn about this country.

Yep. I feel like things would have gone at least a bit differently if he hadn't died when he did.

• Plus1 1