Media Bias

6 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

If by reporting facts you mean talking about a scientific consensus that humans cause Climate Change, masks are safe and effective at mitigating the spread of disease, vaccines save lives, etc?

Would you consider a news source with that reporting liberal or conservative? 

Liberal. Haven’t heard much about climate change lately. Mask usage was all over the map and in some cases nonsensical, but still encouraged. It’s not that the media gets everything wrong, but they are still bias not only in how they report, but also what choose to report on. If a story is important enough I will read it from a liberal source and a conservative one. The difference is noticeable.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

That's not true at all. There's a reason Fox is #1 - people eat up the sensationalism. They're being fed the outrage they feel in their hearts and it's a ratings bonanza. 

There actually is a news organization that meets the criteria you describe. Problem is, it's labeled "left-wing" and dismissed entirely by conservatives. It's called NPR.

There is a reporter from NPR...can’t remember her name...but I think she is or was a White House correspondent. I consider her left bias, and out of the mainstream. ...But that is just one reporter. Is NPR only radio? I never see much sourced from them.

Is FOX #1? They claim to beat CNN and MSNBC, but I consider both of those liberal outlets. If you combined their ratings does FOX still win? Plus what about the audiences of ABC, CBS and NBC? Not sure about this Newsmax outlet, but I doubt they have much audience to contribute.

This conversation originally (briefly) happened in the Democratic Utopia thread, but at this point it makes more sense here.

CNN, and/or Don Lemon, had the idiotic audacity to double down on their mischaracterization of Rogan's use of Ivermectin. Moved the conversation over here because interested in talking about the media element of this rather than Rogan's choices in medicine. I like Russel Brand's take on it overall:

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

This says so much about where you get your information.

CNN, FOX, Times, The Posts, WSJ, other feeds I guess. Trump dominated CNN for 4 years, and the pandemic. It’s more likely I am just reading other articles. Can’t read everything.

On 10/21/2021 at 8:16 AM, knapplc said:

This says so much about where you get your information.

I finally saw a front and center article on climate change. It caught my eye because the headline said Florida residents are tearing down trees to fight climate change.

I thought that was strange. I guess palm trees are not as good as other trees. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/23/weather/weather-trees-adapt-climate-change/index.html

• Plus1 1

CNN going full ape brain tripling down and even further undermining their own credibility.

“Controversial podcast host Joe Rogan, who’s railed against vaccine requirements, says he has covid and took a drug intended for livestock.” - CNN host Erin Burnett

“One of those drugs he mentioned, ivermectin, is something more often used to deworm horses.” - Anderson Cooper

When you have a horse deworming medication that’s discouraged by the government that actually causes some people in this crazy environment we’re in to actually want to try it. That’s the upside down where we’re in with figures like Joe Rogan.” - CNN chief media correspondent Brian Stelter

“The United States is now averaging 160,455 new covid-19 cases every day, including controversial podcast host Joe Rogan saying that he tested positive for covid and that he says he is taking several medications including a drug meant for deworming livestock.” - Don Lemon

“I think the unfortunate part about all of this is you have individuals like Joe Rogan, for example, who don’t want to take an experimental vaccine but will take horse dewormer.” - CNN political commentator Bakari Sellers

“In case you missed it, Rogan said ivermectin. Yes, that’s the deworming medicine made to kill parasites in farm animals and, weirdly, is being promoted by right-wing media figures and even some politicians as a covid treatment.” - Jim Acosta

Then, after Don Lemon claims they weren't wrong and didn't lie, their PR department puts out this totally journalistic statement:

The heart of this debate has been purposely confused and ultimately lost. It’s never been about livestock versus human dosage of Ivermectin. The issue is that a powerful voice in the media, who by example and through his platform, sowed doubt in the proven and approved science of vaccines while promoting the use of an unproven treatment for covid-19 — a drug developed to ward off parasites in farm animals. The only thing CNN did wrong here was bruise the ego of a popular podcaster who pushed dangerous conspiracy theories and risked the lives of millions of people in doing so.

Opinion piece from WaPo:

Yet CNN’s statement sounds more like the work of an advocacy group than a journalism outfit. The “issue,” actually, begins and ends with the integrity of CNN’s content. If we take Rogan’s prescription claim at face value — and CNN hasn’t challenged it — then the network’s coverage was slanted in some cases and straight-up incorrect in others. “f you’re prescribed the FDA human version [of ivermectin] then you’re not taking a horse pill,” notes Phillips in an email.

So in this instance, you don’t have to endorse Rogan to abhor CNN’s coverage of this topic. Here’s a network, after all, that prides itself on impeccable factual hygiene, a place where there’s no conceptual hair too fine to split, no political statement too sprawling to flyspeck. It’s tough living by your own standards. If CNN wants to describe ivermectin in a way that doesn’t slime the people who take it, the Guardian provides a fine template: “a drug used against parasites in humans and livestock.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/10/21/joe-rogan-cnn-ivermectin-statement-gupta/

If they'll blatantly lie about something so small, and keep defending it, what else will they lie about?

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

A lot of people responded to this tweet by pointing out CNNs mistakes over the years, but the one that gave me a belly laugh was from Nicholas Sandmann, who simply said “Howdy”. I guess when you win a 250M settlement from a defamation lawsuit against CNN you own them.

• Plus1 1

I don’t watch Tucker, but from what info I do see, he seems to have gone off the deep end. He also seems to be the favorite target of CNN. I think they write about him almost as much as Trump. I am not sure if that is free advertising or just to fire people up. I wouldn’t expect CNN readers to watch his show.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2021/10/28/tucker-carlson-fox-nation-series-insurrection-orig.cnn-business

• Plus1 1