Media Bias

50 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Only 40 channels would cost more than I’m paying for premium tier ultimate cable. But sure there’s about 200+ channels we never watch.  Hell, if they offered ala carte, the only channel we’d have would be Hallmark. :lol:  I recently tried to put together multiple streaming plans to replace what we wanted/needed from our cable package and couldn’t do it for less money.

Part of the problem making the bill so high is they also provide our gig speed internet. Not giving that up though and it’s much cheaper bundled with a cable package.

So, assuming the 20 dollar service came with the "free stations" all I would get on top of that would be maybee 10 more channels, tops.

I am close to just canceling my DirectTV, it is like 125 a month

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

So, assuming the 20 dollar service came with the "free stations" all I would get on top of that would be maybee 10 more channels, tops.

With networks free I’d only need about 15 more also. But the wife, that’s another story. Hallmark, Hallmark east, Hallmark west, Hallmark romance, Hallmark mysteries…..

I just got our Comcast/Xfinity whittled down to about $230. That includes their fastest internet and phone (which we don’t need but it’s basically free in the pkg). Get Paramount, HBO, Showtime, Starz, all the ESPNs, and about 400 other channels. But we don’t currently have BTN. It’s in a small sports package that costs $10 more per month. I’ll add that back in August.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

With networks free I’d only need about 15 more also. But the wife, that’s another story. Hallmark, Hallmark east, Hallmark west, Hallmark romance, Hallmark mysteries…..

I just got our Comcast/Xfinity whittled down to about $230. That includes their fastest internet and phone (which we don’t need but it’s basically free in the pkg). Get Paramount, HBO, Showtime, Starz, all the ESPNs, and about 400 other channels. But we don’t currently have BTN. It’s in a small sports package that costs $10 more per month. I’ll add that back in August.

Hallmark-Manhater

Hallmark-All The Good Men Are Taken

Hallmark- How is HE gay, uggggg!

Hallmark- I can change him!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Part of the problem making the bill so high is they also provide our gig speed internet. Not giving that up though and it’s much cheaper bundled with a cable package.

My brother is a high up manager at Mediacom in Des Moines. He said 90% of their new customer base is people getting internet - very very few are starting from a position of wanting the tv, but they can be upsold.

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Did that a long time ago.  YouTube TV for $65 per month gets you the same thing. 

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

My brother is a high up manager at Mediacom in Des Moines. He said 90% of their new customer base is people getting internet - very very few are starting from a position of wanting the tv, but they can be upsold.

I believe that.

The problem is my internet is excellent. I won’t slow it down any. But that internet alone is $130ish. So I get all the channels and phone for about $90 more per month. Of course Netflix, Hulu, Disney and Prime are on top of that. But still I’d be giving up a lot to save maybe only $10/mo.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The mainstream media are arguably the most responsible for the political divide in this country. It is quite fun to watch them shake in their boots.

Wow, yikes.

I have no idea who that lady is but that is pretty damning.  

Now I am wondering if that is perhaps edited and she did not actually say that.

I can't imagine a professional would actually say that like she did.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Wow, yikes.

I have no idea who that lady is but that is pretty damning.  

Now I am wondering if that is perhaps edited and she did not actually say that.

I can't imagine a professional would actually say that like she did.

It’s actually the second time she has said this.  Said it in 2020 or 2021 also. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s actually the second time she has said this.  Said it in 2020 or 2021 also. 

No idea if that is true or not and like I said I have no idea who that lady is but it is pretty clear that she wants to control what people should think.

Fans of her, if there are any, what say you?

42 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No idea if that is true or not and like I said I have no idea who that lady is but it is pretty clear that she wants to control what people should think.

Fans of her, if there are any, what say you?

I have never really listened to her but she is saying some whacky, whacky stuff.

I don't think Elon is trying to make up his own facts, and it's also not a good look to say it's the mainstream media's job to tell people what to think. However, this (in my opinion) goes back to one of the biggest issues with mainstream media in general which is the blurred line between news reporting and editorialism. A show like that is clearly more of the latter and I think people need to consume way less of that garbage.

People should pick up a paper or read some articles online with quotes from multiple perspectives, then make up their own damn mind how they feel about it.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I have never really listened to her but she is saying some whacky, whacky stuff.

I don't think Elon is trying to make up his own facts, and it's also not a good look to say it's the mainstream media's job to tell people what to think. However, this (in my opinion) goes back to one of the biggest issues with mainstream media in general which is the blurred line between news reporting and editorialism. A show like that is clearly more of the latter and I think people need to consume way less of that garbage.

People should pick up a paper or read some articles online with quotes from multiple perspectives, then make up their own damn mind how they feel about it.

I agree

These people are in fact salesmen (and women), they are selling a product/idea and they need people to watch.