Media Bias

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Curious to hear more; what do you find alarming about each? 

The first one, if he was my granddaughters K teacher, would get run out of town. He should  ot discuss his view of biology/sexes/Trans with students below HS level. And, he's wrong in the quoted statement.

The second is just completely out of bounds, and should have been fired immediately, not on admin leave before being fired.

The 3rd, whether he condones it or not, should never try to "normalize" any form of pedophilia...students or adults.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

The first one, if he was my granddaughters K teacher, would get run out of town. He should  ot discuss his view of biology/sexes/Trans with students below HS level. And, he's wrong in the quoted statement.

The second is just completely out of bounds, and should have been fired immediately, not on admin leave before being fired.

The 3rd, whether he condones it or not, should never try to "normalize" any form of pedophilia...students or adults.

Agree with all of the above. The irony is, the ones most supportive of this voted multiple times for a pedofile/ statutory rapist proudly. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

The third one the guy explicitly makes clear that he isn't at all endorsing pedophelia, he just holds an opinion of respecting the terminology that groups of people prefer. Instinctually it makes me a bit uneasy but I always lean on the side of being able to have conversations and understand other folks, especially the ones that we just deem monsters (primarily so we don't have to actually deal with what makes them that way).

Pedophiles do damage to children that cannot be undone and likely creates future pedophiles among other life problems for the victims. I have zero sympathy and this professor makes me sick. That’s dark stuff.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I 100% agree with @DevoHusker on this.

1st- Totally inappropriate for him to be addressing transgender to K-2 students.

2nd- No teacher should put out on social media to “f#&% them” referencing their parents.

3rd- I don’t care the guy’s rationale, pedophiles are not and shouldn’t be referred to as “minor attracted persons”. Why in TF should anyone want to try to normalize deviant pedophiles because some of them prefer MAP. It’s wrong so eff that guy.

1st - That's what I said, so I guess Devo and you don't disagree with me there.

2nd - Fair enough, but they're not addressing their students here, they're addressing their tiktok followers, and there's an argument that when they're posting on tiktok they're not a teacher, they're just a person. I wouldn't do what this person did, but if I'm friends with someone who's parents are abusive or have disowned them or are otherwise a source of pain for someone, I'll absolutely say 'f#&% your parents' if that's the solidarity they need from me (which it has been before).

3rd - I'm fine not seeing eye to eye here.

22 minutes ago, nic said:

Pedophiles do damage to children that cannot be undone and likely creates future pedophiles among other life problems for the victims. I have zero sympathy and this professor makes me sick. That’s dark stuff.

All pedophiles no matter what, or only the pedophiles who actually do something? Asking in general, and also because the third person I posted is very clearly talking about people who are attracted towards kids but are not acting on it but are constantly fighting to never commit any sex offenses. The entire point of their book is preventing sexual abuse against children, not normalizing it.

• Haha 2
3 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

1st - That's what I said, so I guess Devo and you don't disagree with me there.

2nd - Fair enough, but they're not addressing their students here, they're addressing their tiktok followers, and there's an argument that when they're posting on tiktok they're not a teacher, they're just a person. I wouldn't do what this person did, but if I'm friends with someone who's parents are abusive or have disowned them or are otherwise a source of pain for someone, I'll absolutely say 'f#&% your parents' if that's the solidarity they need from me (which it has been before).

3rd - I'm fine not seeing eye to eye here.

All pedophiles no matter what, or only the pedophiles who actually do something? Asking in general, and also because the third person I posted is very clearly talking about people who are attracted towards kids but are not acting on it but are constantly fighting to never commit any sex offenses. The entire point of their book is preventing sexual abuse against children, not normalizing it.

2nd- It doesn’t matter to me who they are specifically addressing. If you’re a teacher you shouldn’t be putting that message on social media. Now if it’s a private interaction go ahead and say that when warranted. It’s just not a good look for a teacher to be making that public statement and I can clearly see why their school/employer would not put up with it.

3rd- I don’t know where to begin. Let’s start with a person wouldn’t be getting called a pedophile unless A) they acted on their sick urge or B) they were stupid enough to make known they are attracted to kids. I mean fine, I’m sure there are those who successfully fight their sick urge but imo they should only be worrying about continuing to avoid pedophile behavior. Being concerned about how people refer to them just shouldn’t be an issue. Don’t diddle kids and STFU. No need to have some special MAP name. There isn’t any need for them to be referred to as anything if they don’t act on it and if/when they do, they’re a pedophile. What, are we supposed to feel sorry for them because they have sick, disturbing desires or be impressed because they don’t do disgusting things? I really don’t get it.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

2nd- It doesn’t matter to me who they are specifically addressing. If you’re a teacher you shouldn’t be putting that message on social media. Now if it’s a private interaction go ahead and say that when warranted. It’s just not a good look for a teacher to be making that public statement and I can clearly see why their school/employer would not put up with it.

re: the bolded I agree and I can totally see the same in why people aren't down with it. Devo just asked me how I personally felt about it, and I don't have an issue with it.

11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

3rd- I don’t know where to begin. Let’s start with a person wouldn’t be getting called a pedophile unless A) they acted on their sick urge or B) they were stupid enough to make known they are attracted to kids. I mean fine, I’m sure there are those who successfully fight their sick urge but imo they should only be worrying about continuing to avoid pedophile behavior. Being concerned about how people refer to them just shouldn’t be an issue. Don’t diddle kids and STFU. No need to have some special MAP name. There isn’t any need for them to be referred to as anything if they don’t act on it and if/when they do, they’re a pedophile. What, are we supposed to feel sorry for them because they have sick, disturbing desires or be impressed because they don’t do disgusting things? I really don’t get it.

Being concerned about our social standing is one of the most foundational things baked into our DNA as a species, there's no getting around it. 

Do you think being treated as a disgusting monster and lumped in with people who do act on it makes their fight to not act on it easier or harder?

Do you think being attracted to kids and doing everything you can to make sure you never abuse a kid is easier or harder if you can never talk to anybody about it?

I don't know what we're supposed to do about it practically, but it's weird to me that you/we wouldn't want to provide resources and encourage the people cursed with a perversion trying to conquer it. Because if they don't, then, you know, they end up abusing kids, and we all agree that's the last thing we ever want to happen.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Being concerned about our social standing is one of the most foundational things baked into our DNA as a species, there's no getting around it. 

Do you think being treated as a disgusting monster and lumped in with people who do act on it makes their fight to not act on it easier or harder?

Do you think being attracted to kids and doing everything you can to make sure you never abuse a kid is easier or harder if you can never talk to anybody about it?

I don't know what we're supposed to do about it practically, but it's weird to me that you/we wouldn't want to provide resources and encourage the people cursed with a perversion trying to conquer it. Because if they don't, then, you know, they end up abusing kids, and we all agree that's the last thing we ever want to happen.

I guess I just don’t understand how these people are being called pedophiles if they haven’t acted on their urges. It just doesn’t seem like it would be a thing for this guy to go out of his way worrying about calling them minor attracted persons. Who besides their shrink would even e aware they have a problem? Are we to believe they’re telling their neighbors, employers, friends and then being called a pedophile unfairly? Like I said, I don’t get how it’s a problem that needs it’s own special name. It may sound curt but I was serious, don’t diddle kids and STFU and there is no problem. I’m pretty compassionate about most people trying to do the right thing but I’m feeling nothing on that issue. Didn’t help that the message came from a person I wouldn’t let within 100 feet of my kids (when they were actually kids).

Everyone wants their own special name or title or gender or deviancy and they want to be offended when normal people don’t want to cater to them. Kinda fed up with it and tired of hearing how f#&%ed up people are. Suck it up, do the right thing and STFU. (Not you but all these effin whiners)

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Everyone wants their own special name or title or gender or deviancy and they want to be offended when normal people don’t want to cater to them. Kinda fed up with it and tired of hearing how f#&%ed up people are. Suck it up, do the right thing and STFU. (Not you but all these effin whiners)

There's nothing whiny or unreasonable about wanting and hoping to be treated with dignity and respect unless you've done something to deserve being treated otherwise.

That's all the overwhelming majority of people want. Sure some loud people on social media want to be offended; but most everyone in real life isn't looking for a fight, but some folks because of something they can't help about themselves are constantly the victims of great offense without looking for it or wanting it. And most of them handle it with a surprising amount of grace and resiliency.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

There's nothing whiny or unreasonable about wanting and hoping to be treated with dignity and respect unless you've done something to deserve being treated otherwise.

That's all the overwhelming majority of people want. Sure some loud people on social media want to be offended; but most everyone in real life isn't looking for a fight, but some folks because of something they can't help about themselves are constantly the victims of great offense without looking for it or wanting it. And most of them handle it with a surprising amount of grace and resiliency.

Sure, that’s what everyone wants. Problem is, there’s a$$ holes in the world. Deal with it and move on knowing you’re better than they are. 

I will make this real easy...

The only way you know if someone is "into" kids if if they act on it or if they tell you they are into them.  Sooooo you already have a problem.

Look, if you were sitting on a bus and the dude next to you goes "Hey, how is it going, you know what I love, kids, don't worry, I don't act on it or anything like that, but man I would love to do this and that to them, so hot" 

You would not be thinking "Wow, this is interesting, this guy really needs to be treated with dignity and respect because he has not acted on it"

Trying to defend that because you feel like it sort of falls under the flag of your political party is nuts and you know it.  Look, it is okay to be like "Yeah, I am a ______________ supporter and a registered ___________________ but I still think that people that talk about kids in a sexual way should be beat up"

Literally no one will think less of you.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

39 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It is like saying racist are okay as long as they don't "act" on being racist. 

It is not okay.  And it is okay to admit that. 

Hey hey hey. Don’t call them racists. They don’t like that term. They prefer skin tone decision makers. Not all of them go to every cross burning and they would appreciate our understanding.

• Haha 3
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Hey hey hey. Don’t call them racists. They don’t like that term. They prefer skin tone decision makers. Not all of them go to every cross burning and they would appreciate our understanding.

That was my laugh emoji because this post was quite funny!  Well done. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sure, that’s what everyone wants. Problem is, there’s a$$ holes in the world. Deal with it and move on knowing you’re better than they are. 

So somebody who thinks “minor attracted person” is a completely unnecessary term is an a$$hole?  Asking for a friend.

• Plus1 2