Media Bias

29 minutes ago, nic said:

Here you go. This took about 10 minutes once a started looking.

I found 6. Listed the first 4 below since they embedded easier. I think I remember the parent on the bottom. There was also a dad with his little girl I want to find.

This is pretty much what I thought you were talking about.

Guy in your first video is Candace Owen's brother.

Guy in the second video is a Republican party official.

I believe Republican media likes to call these "crisis actors," right?

The crazy part is - none of those school districts were teaching Critical Race Theory. It's a law school course, not something we teach high school kids.

So what, exactly, were these people so upset about? What was the "critical race theory" on the curriculum?

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

The crazy part is - none of those school districts were teaching Critical Race Theory. It's a law school course, not something we teach high school kids.

So what, exactly, were these people so upset about? What was the "critical race theory" on the curriculum?

People act like Candace Owens isn't black. So you are saying this is like the Lincoln Project folks showing up to the Youngkin event. I can keep posting more videos, but I am sure it will not matter. 

I don't think anyone means the collegiate level CRT, either. I have heard that defense used alot. Parents are concerned about identifying and sometimes separating kids by race. The privileged and the oppressed. Even MLK would be disappointed in that. Teaching on topics that some parents would prefer be discussed at home. They would prefer their kids be taught  how to think versus what to think. Anyway, the Dems can brush ot off at their own peril.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, nic said:

People act like Candace Owens isn't black. So you are saying this is like the Lincoln Project folks showing up to the Youngkin event. I can keep posting more videos, but I am sure it will not matter. 

I don't think anyone means the collegiate level CRT, either. I have heard that defense used alot. Parents are concerned about identifying and sometimes separating kids by race. The privileged and the oppressed. Even MLK would be disappointed in that. Teaching on topics that some parents would prefer be discussed at home. They would prefer their kids be taught  how to think versus what to think. Anyway, the Dems can brush ot off at their own peril.

What those of us questioning the sincerity of this latest outrage are asking is, what, specifically, are they teaching? Because the phrase they're using isn't in any school's curriculum. 

Isn't it possible this is all just faux outrage to stir up the base?

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What those of us questioning the sincerity of this latest outrage are asking is, what, specifically, are they teaching? Because the phrase they're using isn't in any school's curriculum. 

Faux outrage from the people who brought you migrant caravans and pizza-based pedophile rings?

Why I never...

• Plus1 4
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, knapplc said:

Absolutely CRT was pounced on by politicians and they will run with it as long as they can if it gets them votes. Even if they have no idea what it means. There are also agitators jumping in to stir the pot. I do believe a lot of parents got a glimpse of the classroom in 2020 and saw things that concerned them. 

I was frustrated, but for me it was because a lot of teachers punted and just gave good grades for logging on. The kids lost about 1/2 of the actual instruction. I am not a fan of remote learning run by teachers that are not used to doing it. I don’t blame the teachers. Many schools were just not ready. I talk to my kids all the time about what they learn in government or history. All classes really, but those types in particular I watch out for. When the race related discussions heated up we all sat down and watched MLKs I have a dream speech and picked out 5 points each to discuss. It was very productive. He was a brave and great man, with his own human flaws like the rest of us.

OK, for the people who are outraged over CRT.  Should race and racism never be discussed in education?  If not, why not?  If it should be allowed, how should it be discussed?

Also, how is this policed?  If it shouldn't be discussed, should a teacher be reprimanded any time they even bring up the subject?

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, for the people who are outraged over CRT.  Should race and racism never be discussed in education?  If not, why not?  If it should be allowed, how should it be discussed?

Also, how is this policed?  If it shouldn't be discussed, should a teacher be reprimanded any time they even bring up the subject?

People I know aren’t saying race or racism shouldn’t be discussed.  That’s a strawman argument 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2021 at 8:10 AM, nic said:

Why did Covie say he’s never seen the media interview a black parent about CRT, etc. He is not watching all of the media.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:22 AM, nic said:

I can yes. It will take a bit to find the videos. It’s been a couple weeks now since I watched them. Maybe if you branch out more in media you read you might see it.

So, the unfortunate thing is that the discussion is being obscured by right-wing disinformation. The original complaint was that Covie isn't watching "all of the media." And then the snark of "branch out more in media" pretends that there's legitimate efforts to interview parents on the street about this. 

But the reality is, this is all coming from right-wing media, exhibiting their bias, and now passed off as legitimate by a poster here. 

And that's too bad, because this is not moving the discussion forward. 

I guess this has been a pretty good example of how media bias is accepted and passed on as truth. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is the goal of this particular right-wing tactic. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

People I know aren’t saying race or racism shouldn’t be discussed.  That’s a strawman argument 

It's a strawman argument....if I was actually making an argument.

I'm trying to get to the gist of the problem here.

So, race and racism can be discussed in schools, but they can't call it CRT?  For the people who are anti CRT, how should it be discussed?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Who said that? 

OK....then can you explain your stance on the issue.  You are anti CRT....correct?  You also said that race and racism can be discussed in school.

Please explain.  I'm not putting out an argument on this.  I'm trying to figure out the stance of the anti-CRT people and how they believe all this should work.

"CRT" is the latest "but her emails" "Benghazi" "Mom Jeans" "Kenya" tactic from the right wing. They're masters at attaching meaning to buzz words that don't actually convey the definition. The point is to convey a feeling - and it works every time. 

This is cobbled together from some posts on Reddit:  

Critical Race Theory has NOTHING to do with K-12 education. It's an obscure college course. CRT teaches that certain laws and/or practices were inherently racist, among the other racial influences of American history.  It doesn’t teach anyone they are racist. It just gives more context to how things came to be. 

But that doesn’t square with the game being played right now. CRT, as we’re hearing about it today, is a new wedge issue created by Republicans to galvanize voters. No matter how much you tell them “CRT isn’t being taught in K-12 schools”, it doesn’t matter, because simply talking about race at all is what’s being called CRT. In the wake of the George Floyd protests and heightened awareness of racial inequality in this country, and how we should strive to be more equitable for everyone, white conservatives don’t want any racial issues talked about (because they’re against that equity). So, they’ve framed any racial discussion as telling white kids that they are inherently evil, and also that those racial discussions are “CRT”; that gets parents up in arms and they now want “CRT banned”.

The guy who started this gave away the game months ago.

jemiv9M.jpg

It’s to the point where you can’t say that the KKK and white supremacy are bad in Texas schools, because somehow that is CRT.

Even further, they’ve turned this into a “parents rights” issue, and what they want their kids learning in school. Ignoring that parents probably shouldn’t have as a say in academic curriculum (apparently, that position just cost the democratic candidate for governor in Virginia last night) because then dictating what kids learn results in textbooks saying things like African slaves were “immigrant workers” or that the Civil War was about “states rights”; it makes it seem like parents are getting ignored when they complain about CRT being taught to their 5 year old because Democrats tell them that its just made up nonsense.

Imagine being told that CRT is being taught in 3rd grade. And that CRT is telling white kids that they’re evil. And then you learn that your kids 3rd grade teacher was teaching about the civil rights movement and how black people were lynched. And then associating that all together. Only for a Democrat to tell you “CRT isn’t being taught in schools”. You’re going to vote for Republicans when your perception has become your reality and you want “CRT banned” while the Democrat is telling you this isn’t an actual issue.

• Plus1 2

Then imagine Virginia Department of Education recommends CRT as a best practice….I mean you can believe people like below or believe the Virginia Department of Education. 

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Imagine being told that CRT is being taught in 3rd grade. And that CRT is telling white kids that they’re evil. And then you learn that your kids 3rd grade teacher was teaching about the civil rights movement and how black people were lynched. And then associating that all together. Only for a Democrat to tell you “CRT isn’t being taught in schools”. You’re going to vote for Republicans when your perception has become your reality and you want “CRT banned” while the Democrat is telling you this isn’t an actual issue.

• Plus1 1