Media Bias

20 hours ago, ZRod said:

See that's the thing, most of his positions are common place in the rest of the developed world, and entirely achievable if a rational discussion was to be had.

I'm not arguing if his positions are common in Scandinavian countries. What I will argue is that they are not achievable in the electoral system the United States has. 

Bernie knows that many of his proposals need 60 votes in the Senate to pass. He knows the geographic reality of the Senate makes that impossible. 

23 hours ago, RedDenver said:

This is simply wish casting. It's just as likely a Dem candidate that wasn't in the Warren/Sanders style of politics would have also lost - and possibly by more. There's no way to know. But blaming Warren/Sanders for a different candidate losing is pretty weak logic.

She ran 7% behind Joe Biden? This would suggest that voters much prefer center left politics in NE-02. 

It's important to remember that Democrats moderate success in elections has less to do with Americans agreeing with their left policy positions and more to do with how completely terrible GOP candidates are. If they nominated non-crazy candidates the GOP would probably control 56 Senate seats right now. 

• TBH 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm not arguing if his positions are common in Scandinavian countries.

This is the bubble that Americans live in. It's not Scandinavia countries... Free tuition is available in Germany, France, Greece, Austria, and Spain to some extent; as well as countries in South America. Regardless the majority of college education around the world is cheaper than in the US.

You need look no further than North of our border for national legalization of marijuana and publicly funded healthcare. Obviously almost all of Europe has publicly funded healthcare, and they don't get absolutely shafted on the price of drugs like we do either.

8 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Bernie knows that many of his proposals need 60 votes in the Senate to pass. He knows the geographic reality of the Senate makes that impossible. 

But that doesn't make the proposals radical. Most of them have majority support from the population. It makes things frustrating, and is a disservice to the citizens of this country that a least a few can't be passed into law.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Ok. This applies to all the Dem Senators as well as Bernie.

She ran 7% behind Joe Biden? This would suggest that voters much prefer center left politics in NE-02. 

That would suggest she's 7% less popular than Biden. She beat the center left candidate by 31% in the primary. There's too many variable to draw ideological conclusions like this from a single election. The individual candidates matter a lot.

It's important to remember that Democrats moderate success in elections has less to do with Americans agreeing with their left policy positions and more to do with how completely terrible GOP candidates are. If they nominated non-crazy candidates the GOP would probably control 56 Senate seats right now. 

That doesn't mean progressive policies or politicians are less popular than the center-right Dems. GOP being terrible is independent of the policies of the left.

22 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm not arguing if his positions are common in Scandinavian countries. What I will argue is that they are not achievable in the electoral system the United States has. 

It's important to remember that the "greatness" many people associate with America can be traced to the massive changes brought on by the collapse of unregulated capitalism in the Depression followed by the incredibly ambitious but necessary Big Government intervention of our only four term president, Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Nothing we are currently deeming "unachievable" comes close to what FDR pushed through. Or for that matter, Eisenhower, JFK and LBJ after him. 

btw....the geographic reality of the Senate and numeric superiority of the House makes EVERYTHING impossible. The GOP is so blinded it will reject aid to veterans if the author is a Democrat. I'm going to encourage people like Sanders to keep thinking big, because the Dem centrists who think they're appeasing the right are getting zero out of the strategy and inspiring absolutely no one. 

It's also a straight up fact that a majority of Americans agree with Dem/Liberal policy positions when the position is explained free of partisan verbiage. The GOP wins because they are better at messaging, which consists almost 100% of misrepresenting Dem policy positions. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, nic said:

I have no idea what thread to put this in, but it seems Musk is a tread setter. Twitter was 8 dollars right?  Where is your outrage AOC?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/zuckerberg-announces-paid-subscription-service-facebook-instagram

It's not a good trend, infact it's desperation. These new aged tech companies built their business model around increasing users, but didn't have the forethought about what happens when you max out and plateau. Netflix is about to wreck their company with the password BS and paying for multiple users outside the household.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

It's not a good trend, infact it's desperation. This new aged tech companies built their business model around increasing users, but didn't have the forethought about what happens when you max out and plateau. Netflix is about to wreck their company with the password BS and paying for multiple users outside the household.

Not all trends are good ones. And you are not wrong. Meta is one of our customers and we can tell they are hurting.

If I have to pay $14.99 a month to see pictures of my second cousin’s kids I’ve never met, I’m happy to never use the platform again.

How many people actually need to be “verified”?

Govt officials and celebrities I get.  But why would a boring old white guy in Nebraska need to worry about this.

Musk was ridiculous because he made a huge stink about free speech.  That’s what made people laugh at him.

I can see how families and friendships would be much better off if Facebook and Instagram went under.  

• Plus1 3

Well, it’s going to be interesting. The problem is, is that social media is a type of business we had never seen before. Meaning, your customers, are also your biggest product producing asset. Without millions of people on Twitter every day tweeting random stuff, there is nothing on Twitter. The employees of Twitter don’t create content, people with accounts do. 

So, now these companies are going to charge the people who actually creates the content on the app.  

That’s f#&%ed up, in my opinion. I guess we will be able to see who is right. 

I know that if I have to pay for either Twitter or, even more so Facebook, I will go without.  I’m never on Facebook anyway. It would suck for Twitter, but I’d try going without it. 

• TBH 1

17 hours ago, nic said:

I have no idea what thread to put this in, but it seems Musk is a tread setter. Twitter was 8 dollars right?  Where is your outrage AOC?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/zuckerberg-announces-paid-subscription-service-facebook-instagram

Do you for some reason think Facebook is the liberal equivalent of the now conservative Twitter? 

Trying to figure out the AOC reference. 

• TBH 1
20 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Do you for some reason think Facebook is the liberal equivalent of the now conservative Twitter? 

Trying to figure out the AOC reference. 

Not at all. When Musk announced his plan to charge 8 bucks for verification AOC thought it was a bad idea and was very vocal about it. It was one of their many Twitter spats. I am curious if she will be consistent with Facebook and Instagram. AOC is usually consistent, even when in the minority. In this case, I don’t think most people are going to pay the fee. Anyone know how the fee is working out for Twitter?

• TBH 1