Media Bias

9 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And that’s not a good thing.    No matter who the President or politician.  

If this were a debate and a candidate or President was given the questions beforehand, that's unacceptable.  I have way less problem with it in these types of situations.  They have a certain message they want to get out.  This is the method they use to do it.  

Meh....Mountain....mole hill.  

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They have a certain message they want to get out.

I can’t believe you are of the opinion that Politicians should accept questions from the press beforehand in a press conference so the politician knows who to ask in order to get the politicians message out:facepalm:

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No this isn’t the biggest issue in the world, but the press working for the government is an issue that we all should be concerned about.  Hell, even other press outlets friendly to the President are dragging the reporter for this.  

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If this were a debate and a candidate or President was given the questions beforehand, that's unacceptable.  I have way less problem with it in these types of situations.  They have a certain message they want to get out.  This is the method they use to do it.  

does no one remember trump getting and/or giving lists of questions to fox news?  or going 300 days without press interviews?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's no different than the frothiness over Obama using a teleprompter.

Meanwhile, this happens and crickets...

190806-donald-trump-cs-804a.jpg

Exactly.  A teleprompter is a tool used to give a speech with well thought out words and certain points that need to be made.  OMG....OBAMA USES A TELEPROMPTER!!!!  It's just one more example of faux outrage that party politics creates to keep the base frothing at the mouth.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I think no matter who the politician is, R or D, when giving a press conference, questions should not be given in advance.  

We’ve seen far too often what happens when politicians get too cozy with cable news outlets (FoxNews, CNN, MSNBC, etc). It just becomes propaganda conferences instead of news conferences or interviews.  It’s unfortunate more people don’t have a problem with it I guess?   That is until FoxNews or does something wrong:dunno

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

LOL.  I think for 6 years now you have been moaning about FoxNews and Trump been cozy.  Faux outrage there??

LOL...if you think that "coziness" that I had a problem with was because they gave him the questions they wanted to ask before hand....you're showing your naivety again.

• Plus1 2

@Enhance  Would love your thoughts on this as I believe you have journalism training.   Do you believe that it’s appropriate for a politician to conduct a press conference, but have the questions in hand before it starts?   
And just for clarity, I’m not talking about a sit down interview where general topics are agreed upon to discuss, but the actual question being asked at a press conference.  Regardless of party.   I very well may be off base and should accept that it’s the norm.  Thanks in advance. 

• Plus1 1

I mean, there's always a chance that a Tweet from the RNC leaves out relevant context, or could be entirely contrived, but I'm inclined to believe the Biden team coordinated a softball question from a friendly member of the press corps because that's what the White House has done forever. I don't care for the practice myself, but my panties are not in a bunch. If the account is accurate, I hope the reporter and their news source are properly embarrassed. 

During the G.W. Bush administration, there was a credentialed reporter at every White House press conference from a news organization that didn't exist in any consumable form. They were simply there to give G.W. a lifeline, and they asked "questions" that weren't really questions, i.e.:  "The American people believe jobs creation is the most important priority for our country. Your administration has created thousands of new jobs. Why doesn't the media report this?" Trump did the same. He also gave InfoWars a White House credential, ffs. 

Press conferences are about being quick on your feet and off teleprompter. That's the test and that's the skill. It makes the prospect of Trump vs. Biden even more awful, but the off-teleprompter Donald Trump is far scarier. 

• Plus1 2
40 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

@Enhance  Would love your thoughts on this as I believe you have journalism training.   Do you believe that it’s appropriate for a politician to conduct a press conference, but have the questions in hand before it starts?   
And just for clarity, I’m not talking about a sit down interview where general topics are agreed upon to discuss, but the actual question being asked at a press conference.  Regardless of party.   I very well may be off base and should accept that it’s the norm.  Thanks in advance. 

Question:  Did he ONLY take questions from reporters that he already knew what the questions should be....and, were the reporters not allowed follow up questions that aren't on script?

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Question:  Did he ONLY take questions from reporters that he already knew what the questions should be....and, were the reporters not allowed follow up questions that aren't on script?

Don’t know the answer to that question.  We do know that in the past he only took questions from reporters that were on his “list” of those to call on.   Any guesses on to how that list came to be?   

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

As a general rule of thumb, it is considered wrong (even unethical) to send the literal questions to interviewees ahead of time. There are often circumstances where you may tell an interviewee what you plan to ask (similar to what you mentioned) but you almost always just tell them generalities, and then you'd probably keep a few questions up your sleeve.

All that said, I could certainly imagine a scenario where a public official's people demand questions be submitted ahead of time or else they won't be able to ask a question. Some news organizations will probably acquiesce to this in exchange for the soundbite or quote, particularly if they think their competitors are going to agree to it. I never worked something to the scale of a presidential press conference but it wouldn't surprise to me learn that this happens frequently. Personally, I would disagree with the practice, but it certainly puts the journalist/news organization between a rock and a hard place. They could say 'no, we won't play your game' but then all the readers/viewers will go watch the other station or read the other website that had the content. Taking too many stances like that won't pay the bills and keep the lights on.

Some of that is just speculation, though. Like I said, I'm not sure how often something like this happens and I didn't quite catch the context of this Biden presser yet. I was never asked to submit my questions in writing in the four years I was a broadcaster but I worked for a local market, nothing national. Things might be different higher up the totem pole. In general though I definitely disagree with the practice.

• Thanks 2
50 minutes ago, Enhance said:

As a general rule of thumb, it is considered wrong (even unethical) to send the literal questions to interviewees ahead of time. There are often circumstances where you may tell an interviewee what you plan to ask (similar to what you mentioned) but you almost always just tell them generalities, and then you'd probably keep a few questions up your sleeve.

All that said, I could certainly imagine a scenario where a public official's people demand questions be submitted ahead of time or else they won't be able to ask a question. Some news organizations will probably acquiesce to this in exchange for the soundbite or quote, particularly if they think their competitors are going to agree to it. I never worked something to the scale of a presidential press conference but it wouldn't surprise to me learn that this happens frequently. Personally, I would disagree with the practice, but it certainly puts the journalist/news organization between a rock and a hard place. They could say 'no, we won't play your game' but then all the readers/viewers will go watch the other station or read the other website that had the content. Taking too many stances like that won't pay the bills and keep the lights on.

Some of that is just speculation, though. Like I said, I'm not sure how often something like this happens and I didn't quite catch the context of this Biden presser yet. I was never asked to submit my questions in writing in the four years I was a broadcaster but I worked for a local market, nothing national. Things might be different higher up the totem pole. In general though I definitely disagree with the practice.

Do you have the same problem with it if the President's people would go to a reporter and say, "I really would like you to ask about XYZ".  Then, the reporter would also have the ability to ask follow up questions as they see fit.  And, other reporters have the ability to ask questions too. ???